Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Difference between shield color?  (Read 2538 times)

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
Difference between shield color?
« on: March 06, 2020, 09:40:23 AM »

I've noticed some ships have a red shield, and some have a blue one. Can't seem to figure out what the difference is between them (I'm sure its something silly i just overlooked), but it has been nagging at me. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Difference between shield color?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 09:55:28 AM »

For vanilla, Blue is high-tech, usually higher efficiency in the dmg-> energy conversion (usually .75:1). Red is lower tech, usually forward fixed has worse dmg-> energy conversion (usually 1:1)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 09:57:22 AM »

Low tech have red shields, high and mid tech have blue shields. Just a style difference, it doesn't affect shield performance.
In fact, both worst shields (Conquest 1.4) and best (Paragon 0.6) are blue.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 09:58:22 AM »

Its mostly cosmetic just like low tech ships have red engines, and high tech have blue engines.

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 10:12:22 AM »

welp, now i feel silly for not making that connection, thanks. considered that possibility, tbh, but since there were only two colors and three basic types in vanilla (midline) i dismissed it. oh well, cheers

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 10:19:38 AM »

Now that you mention it, is there a mod that scales the shield colour based on it's shield efficiency? Because if not there should be.

Or a mod that changes the shield colour based on the ships current flux percentage.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 12:03:36 PM »

Now that you mention it, is there a mod that scales the shield colour based on it's shield efficiency? Because if not there should be.

Or a mod that changes the shield colour based on the ships current flux percentage.

This is a very good idea and you should make a separate topic about it. Shields giving information about flux level would be a great way to convey that mechanic to player and I think it would make those mechanics less opaque to new players.

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 01:42:25 PM »

That would be sweet, shifting through, say, blue > green > yellow > red as your shields approach collapse.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 03:55:42 PM »

I've seen something similar done in mods, where the shield appearance changes based on external factors (including the ship's flux level), but it's implemented on a ship-by-ship basis for custom content, as opposed to something that applies to all ships in the game. It doesn't sound impossible though.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 09:51:03 PM »

Shield color in vanilla, IIRC, changes based on the damage to flux ratio. The better ratios, IE on TT ships, get blue shields while shields with poor damage to flux ratios get red shields
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 10:02:53 PM »

Shield color in vanilla, IIRC, changes based on the damage to flux ratio. The better ratios, IE on TT ships, get blue shields while shields with poor damage to flux ratios get red shields

Wellll, only very roughly. When you start looking in close it's actually not that simple. Take the Sunder and Conquest, for instance, both with abhorrent shield efficiencies, but they aren't red.

It's purely based on hull *style*, which just happens to coincide with general (but not ultimate) differences in ship stats.