Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Weapons Applying Flux to Enemy Ships  (Read 2998 times)

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Weapons Applying Flux to Enemy Ships
« on: March 23, 2012, 02:20:49 PM »

I know that before .50a, the "flux" category in the weapons.csv file determined how much flux the enemy ship would receive if it were hit with that weapon. Now, it has been changed to emp, and only damages ship subsystems. I'm curious if there's a way to make it so that weapons can add to an enemy ship's flux again. (To Alex: If there isn't, it'd be really awesome if that functionality could be added back in with the next version of Starfarer.)

Thanks in advance.

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons Applying Flux to Enemy Ships
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 02:24:24 PM »

no there isn't a way

alex answer

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »

I see. Unfortunately, from a modding perspective (mine especially, as TA's ships don't have shields), this would still be pretty useful. While yes, a missile that delivers enough flux to completely overload a ship with a few hits regardless of whether the shields are up or not would be extreme overkill, having a certain few weapons that give small amounts of flux would be an interesting twist to have in play.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 02:47:13 PM »

I see. Unfortunately, from a modding perspective (mine especially, as TA's ships don't have shields), this would still be pretty useful. While yes, a missile that delivers enough flux to completely overload a ship with a few hits regardless of whether the shields are up or not would be extreme overkill, having a certain few weapons that give small amounts of flux would be an interesting twist to have in play.

Hmm. It seems to me like EMP damage accomplishes much the same goal. And overload means you can't raise shields or fire - and since your ships don't have shields, and EMP can knock out the weapons, it's fairly close.

You can't mess with the enemy ship's offensive potential through flux level - but again, since you can knock out the weapon, you can achieve the same goal.

I guess that only thing you can't do is cause an overload to an enemy that's just below the flux cap, but that seems like a rather niche scenario.

This isn't a straight-up "no, never", but I'm just wondering what you're hoping to achieve in terms of gameplay.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 04:33:34 PM »

EMP and flux work similarly for me, yes, but I think it would interesting to have two methods to achieve a similar goal. I just want to make it so that taking hull and subsystem damage isn't the only thing you're afraid of when engaging the enemy. Like in normal Starfarer with shielded ships, you have to keep an eye on your flux levels in combat. I'd like to do the same in TA. At the moment, flux is only used for determining how much you can fire your weapons--which is about all it is used for if a ship doesn't have shields.

The way I see it, the main problem with flux and EMP is that I can edit the amount of flux that ships have (both ingame and out-of game), but I can't edit the amount they receive from weapons--and I can't edit the amount of health a ship's weapons have (Outside of a universally used hullmod, that is), but I can edit how much they receive from weapons. As you see, both systems really only have one variable I can tweak. If both variables were open to editing on either system, then it would work excellently for me. I remember you saying sometime in the past that you would eventually make it so the health of individual weapons could be edited, so that right there would solve the problem.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 12:01:31 PM »

Thank you for explaining - I'll keep this in mind (meaning, may make weapon health moddable at some point - though I'm a bit loath to do that - if it's variable, that's yet another thing that needs to be displayed to the player, and weapons already have a *lot* of stats).