Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mod to allow more zooming out.  (Read 5211 times)

sogriffin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Mod to allow more zooming out.
« on: March 04, 2020, 09:58:53 AM »

Pardon me if this has already been discussed in another thread, but I couldn't find one in the history so I started one.  I also couldn't start a thread on the Mod section and so I had to start one here.

Does anyone know if there is a mod out there that will allow you to zoom out further in combat?  Also is this just a simple setting the settings.json that I could do?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Mod to allow more zooming out.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 10:09:54 AM »

You're looking for "maxCombatZoom" value in Starsector\starsector-core\data\config\settings.json. Be aware that there's no fog of war in combat, so you will be able to see ships that are technically outside your sensor range.

sogriffin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 10:22:12 AM »

Thanks and I'll keep that in mind.  I don't want to see the entire battlefield, but I would like the ability to pull back just a little bit more than I can right now.

Tempest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 12:23:44 PM »

Be aware that there's no fog of war in combat, so you will be able to see ships that are technically outside your sensor range.
But... there is... At least I can't see ships outside a certain distance from my fleet.

sogriffin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 02:36:06 PM »

Thanks SCC, it works perfectly.  The default zoom out is set to 2.0.  I changed it to 3.0 and now I can see all my fleet.  I might scale it down to 2.5 and see how that works.  I can't see the whole battlefield and that's fine.

Soychi

• Lieutenant
  • Ad Rem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 04:36:27 PM »

Be aware that there's no fog of war in combat, so you will be able to see ships that are technically outside your sensor range.
But... there is... At least I can't see ships outside a certain distance from my fleet.
This is true right? I feel like maybe I'm going crazy doubting myself now.
ARE YOU A COWARD? This is not for you. We badly need a brave man. He must be 23 to 25 years old, in perfect health, at least six feet tall, weigh about 190 pounds, fluent English with some French, proficient with all weapons, some knowledge of engineering and mathematics essential, willing to travel, no family or emotional ties, indomitably courageous and handsome of face and figure. Permanent employment, very high pay, glorious adventure, great danger. -Glory Road, Heinlein

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 04:47:10 PM »

There is fog on the tactical map screen. There is no fog on the main combat map. You can see this by enabling dev mode in settings.json and zooming out during combat.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 09:02:19 PM »

Yeah, SCC and SafariJohn are correct, even on default zoom it's possible to zoom out and pan the camera away far enough on the combat map that you can "see" ships that are outside your sensor range, and don't show up on the tactical map. It's not a massive deal because usually those ships are about to enter your sensor range anyway, or have just left it, and you can't target them.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 09:03:59 PM by AxleMC131 »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 11:01:54 PM »

You can actually target them. No overlay will show, because it's outside your sensor range, but your weapons will aim for that ship. Considering that fighters can only attack ships in sensor range, that leaves only pilums as a weapon you can use against ships you can't see, which is suboptimal.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 11:22:42 PM »

You can actually target them. No overlay will show, because it's outside your sensor range, but your weapons will aim for that ship. Considering that fighters can only attack ships in sensor range, that leaves only pilums as a weapon you can use against ships you can't see, which is suboptimal.

Huh, I didn't realise that. I assumed, because no overlay popped up, that the ship wasn't being targeted.