Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What does "in the outer reaches" means?  (Read 9400 times)

KCR

• Lieutenant
  • If it's not fun, why bother?
    • View Profile
What does "in the outer reaches" means?
« on: March 02, 2020, 04:49:49 AM »

Hello everyone! Hope you are having a great day. So, what am i confused of, is, well, described in the subject of this topic. You know, when you pick up an exploration mission that tells you to run a custom sensor package on, let's say, some derelict, and the intel says that it is located "in the outer reaches" of system_name. How can i find it? Is it even located on the system map (if you press tab), or it's not even on it? Like, ye, i know that Neutrino Detector exists, but still it does not help a lot. It just points in some random direction forever. I've read the article on the wiki, but still don't quite understand how to use it to actually navigate to the outer reaches. If anyone can clarify this to me, i'll be really thankful! Thanks in advance and have a great day!

outdated

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: What does "in the outer reaches" means?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 04:55:25 AM »

I think outer reaches means that it's somewhere along the orbit of the outermost body in the system.

TaylorItaly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 06:43:42 AM »

When you enter an star-system , you have in the middle the centrum.
In the outer reaches , for me most time is in the last row of that quadrants on the map.

When there is a stable Point in the system , i allways build a sensor array.

And of course , save when entering the system ; so when you search with systematic and don`t find it , just reload and search at another location....

DDwarrirofire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 07:06:31 AM »

Practice with the Neutrino Detector. Once you know when to use it this skill becomes really helpful.   Generally speaking you'll use it just out side the furthest planet. This way you can at least ignore the planets and your normal sensors are enough near the center.  Make note any point that doesn't move when you move side to side is a false signal.

This is also how you search those systems that don't have planets.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 07:08:21 AM »

...Or just avoid any mission that states "outer reaches" in description. They are not common.

DDwarrirofire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 07:23:23 AM »

...Or just avoid any mission that states "outer reaches" in description. They are not common.
beware the fake starfarer ;)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 07:28:51 AM »

Hi! It means it's orbiting the primary star (and not anything more convenient that can be pointed out) and is somewhere beyond 10k units away from it. (2k units = 1 map grid cell)

KCR

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 07:39:29 AM »

Oh, thanks a lot for the answer! That's really gonna help me, because i find the exploration missions really nice and it's really interesting to take a bunch of them and try to complete all the 'chain' in given time, but i really struggle with the 'outer reaches' missions and have to just skip them and wait for another. But, now i know where to look for, so thanks a lot!

Tempest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 10:16:34 AM »

I don't even bother with these. No reward is worth flying that far without at least some location information.

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 10:53:32 AM »

Not even a research station ?
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

Tempest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 11:07:27 AM »

There are many other research stations, and they are easier to find.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 11:24:05 AM »

There are many other research stations, and they are easier to find.

Yeah the time spent hunting is usually not worth it (even with neutrino).  I'll sometimes do it because i'm scouting all the planets in the system because it turns out it's one of those ones that's actually got stuff, but often i'll just dump it as there's really not enough reason to even attempt.

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 11:26:24 AM »

All right fair enough, although being the maniac that I am I never pass on anything that could give me new blueprints.
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

KCR

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 12:14:45 AM »

All right fair enough, although being the maniac that I am I never pass on anything that could give me new blueprints.
Guess i have the same maniacal attitude! You just can't lose an opportunity to get another pack of juicy blueprints! I'll still hope that 'outer reaches' missions would give a bit more info so you would not just struggle for an hour loading save and searching every corner of the system to find that precious Research Station.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2020, 03:12:26 PM »

Anything that's "outer reaches" isn't worth it.  If it's a research station I'll give serious consideration but usually will still pass.  I don't really use the neutrino detector due to the high cost of keeping volatiles on hand to run it.  They deplete FAST.  If you've got cargo space and money to burn then go for it; I'm just not dedicated enough to exploring to feel like doing it.
Pages: [1] 2