Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Game does not seem to be running on video card  (Read 2328 times)

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
Game does not seem to be running on video card
« on: February 28, 2020, 10:12:15 PM »

So as i get later into the game, and battles get bigger, my fps has been dropping to ~20 fps. which strikes me as wrong since i can usually maintains +100 fps on MUCH more demanding games, like witcher 3 or outer worlds on all max settings. my radeon control panel doesnt have any performance metrics recorded, which is very odd, so nothing useful there, so i thought to check task manager. welp, my gpu usage was 0-1%, and my my six core processor (with twelve 'logic processors') had eleven at -10% usage... and ONE hovering near max. so, unless i miss my guess, this game is running everything, including graphics, off of half of one sixth of my processor. and as a result fps drops when things happen.

how can i force this game to actually use my video card, and maybe more than one core?

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Game does not seem to be running on video card
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 06:02:46 AM »

Honestly, an explanation of CPU cores belongs on every single game forum's FAQ list. This topic comes up for every game at least once, and typically every month or so.

Your computer does not decide how many cores a program uses. That's decided by the program code itself. Enabling extra cores is very hard.

TaylorItaly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 01:24:47 PM »

I am using Process Lasso to give StarSector 3 from my 4 Cores and other tweaks : https://bitsum.com/?inproduct

The Trial Version is free to use , maybe this can help you.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 01:44:37 PM »

I am using Process Lasso to give StarSector 3 from my 4 Cores and other tweaks : https://bitsum.com/?inproduct

What a thoroughly pointless application.

TaylorItaly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 02:42:38 PM »

Why do you write this ?
This App make it possible for me , to run RDD2 and other games smoothly on my not high end system.
So , why must one ever make things or suggestion bad ?
That i don`t really understand and it makes me sad!!

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 08:51:29 AM »

This is a good example of a violation of the new rule against toxicity. While this post is not overtly disrespectful, it serves absolutely no purpose except to upset other people. In the future please refrain from making such statements.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 09:22:11 AM »

This is a good example of a violation of the new rule against toxicity. While this post is not overtly disrespectful, it serves absolutely no purpose except to upset other people. In the future please refrain from making such statements.

I was calling out bad advice in as non-confrontational way as possible; if calling out bad advice is toxic, I.... £$%"&!.

Setting affinity of the Java process to a subset of cores will have zero (positive) impact upon the OP's problems, which, as the OP has learnt from their other post(s), is being caused by AMD's lacklustre OpenGL drivers on his RX590. (and SS's reliance upon said API)

Indeed I find it extraordinarily unlikely that doing so would have any (positive) impact upon StarSector's performance in TaylorItaly's circumstances either.
It's potentially beneficial in the case of RDD2 because that game can fully utilize every logical core in 4 core machines, sometimes causing throttling of critical background processes.

Moreover even if setting process affinity were a solution, it doesn't require installation of 3rd party software to achieve, as it's a core piece of functionality in Windows Task Manager.
Installing unnecessary bloatware that interferes with the Windows task scheduler in unspecified ways sounds like a recipe for performance problems going forwards.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 09:31:12 AM by TJJ »

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 09:39:15 AM »

I was calling out bad advice in as non-confrontational way as possible; if calling out bad advice is toxic, I.... £$%"&!.

If I may jump in here for a moment to explain: giving an explanation for your statement is great, and thank you for that.

It moves a vague, highly critical statement that, on its own, can be interpreted as an attack on a person (and this is the internet, so all subtlety is lost and everyone must assume the worst) into the realm of constructive criticism because you've provided substantive information that contextualizes your negative opinion.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 09:41:55 AM by David »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 10:11:11 AM »

^ Yup. Exactly. Based on my limited knowledge, all of this is helpful and informative advice:
Setting affinity of the Java process to a subset of cores will have zero (positive) impact upon the OP's problems, which, as the OP has learnt from their other post(s), is being caused by AMD's lacklustre OpenGL drivers on his RX590. (and SS's reliance upon said API)

Indeed I find it extraordinarily unlikely that doing so would have any (positive) impact upon StarSector's performance in TaylorItaly's circumstances either.
It's potentially beneficial in the case of RDD2 because that game can fully utilize every logical core in 4 core machines, sometimes causing throttling of critical background processes.

Moreover even if setting process affinity were a solution, it doesn't require installation of 3rd party software to achieve, as it's a core piece of functionality in Windows Task Manager.
Installing unnecessary bloatware that interferes with the Windows task scheduler in unspecified ways sounds like a recipe for performance problems going forwards.
But simply saying "what a thoroughly pointless application" is likely to be interpreted as nothing but an attack, even if you had the best of intentions.

Tempest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 12:18:21 PM »

I have RX560, and it does slow down considerably at some point.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 12:30:13 PM »

Are you running a laptop of some kind? If so, you might have an integrated GPU running the game instead of the real one. Do you have any kind of control panel that allows you to set which GPU a certain program might run?
Also, AMD OpenGL drivers suck pretty hard and are well known for not working well with the game here.

As for the multi CPU thing, it isn't that easy sadly. It would basically take a whole engine rebuild in order to make the game run multi core and run WELL without bugs. This game is pretty old and multicores weren't really a big thing back when it was first started IIRC
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 04:12:05 PM »

Are you running a laptop of some kind? If so, you might have an integrated GPU running the game instead of the real one. Do you have any kind of control panel that allows you to set which GPU a certain program might run?
Also, AMD OpenGL drivers suck pretty hard and are well known for not working well with the game here.

As for the multi CPU thing, it isn't that easy sadly. It would basically take a whole engine rebuild in order to make the game run multi core and run WELL without bugs. This game is pretty old and multicores weren't really a big thing back when it was first started IIRC

And here I am with an RX480 and WX4500 GPUs, waiting for the version capable of 4k resolution or handling multi-monitor setups. If I recall correctly, Starsector runs under Java language, which is normally not friendly to multi-threading without significant hurdles or libraries. Though I doubt it actually needs that many cores, as I have played this in my laptops, and they are fairly old as they are.

As for that one, I am less inclined to use a middle layer like Process Lasso to handle thread-core distribution, more so on being a premium software. I already have enough beef with WinRAR preventing 7Zip from reading or extracting its more recent rar files.