Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Have to reenter starsector key after each reboot  (Read 1329 times)

Atopo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Have to reenter starsector key after each reboot
« on: February 28, 2020, 07:41:50 AM »

Hey everyone,

I am having a little problem:
When I launch starsector for the first time after rebooting my PC I need to enter my key again.
That itself wouldn't be too much of a hazzle but it also causes all my configurations to get lost (e.g. keybindings, etc.).

Thanks in advance!
Atopo

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Have to reenter starsector key after each reboot
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 07:55:51 AM »

Sounds like your machine might be subject to a group policy(GPO), which is overriding local profile changes.

Alternatively you might be running an anti-virus/malware program that's blocking registry changes.

Atopo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 08:06:41 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply!

I am using Windows 10, it's my own private machine so I doubt I enabled any GPOs.
I am also not running any other anti-virus besides Windows Defender.
I never had any other problems like this and I got plenty of games on this machine.
Do I maybe have to run the game as administrator in order to save the key to the registry permanently?

Do you have an example how the entry inside the registry would look like? I did a quick search but didn't see anything that would resemble a starsector key. Just a lot of paths to location of the game, its JRE, etc.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 08:10:08 AM »

Do I maybe have to run the game as administrator in order to save the key to the registry permanently?

That sounds like it's worth a shot, yeah. Both this and the config issue means it's likely the game is just unable to write to the registry, and that's most likely a permissions problem.

Do you have an example how the entry inside the registry would look like? I did a quick search but didn't see anything that would resemble a starsector key. Just a lot of paths to location of the game, its JRE, etc.

The key is, iirc, stored in this registry entry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\javaSoft\Prefs\com\fs\starfarer\serial

Atopo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 09:50:49 AM »

Thanks for advice but I still couldn't figure out what the problem is.

Starting the game as administrator did not help.

I had a look at the registry and noticed that after each reboot of my PC everything below the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\javaSoft\Prefs directory vanishes.
When I keep the PC running there is no problem, I can start the game as often as I want. But once I reboot that folder inside the registry is just gone and I have to enter the key again.

The Windows registry is quite a mystery to me so I am not sure if the problem is actually related to Starsector or if I maybe have some weird Windows settings causing this problem.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 10:02:27 AM »

Yeah, this definitely sounds like something weird going on with your Windows. I haven't run into this before, though - or had anyone report this specific issue - so I'm not too sure what to suggest. What TJJ suggested earlier makes sense, but if that's not the issue, then I'm at a bit of a loss - my apologies!