Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First colony, most important criteria?  (Read 2154 times)

Atopo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
First colony, most important criteria?
« on: February 28, 2020, 09:10:00 AM »

Hey everyone,

I am currently in my first campaign and doing quite well with a decent fleet and 2.5M$ on my bank account. Now I want to fount my first colony but I have trouble finding the perfect planet.
I realize that there are three different main criterias: ressources , hazard rating and accessibility.
To fulfill the latter two I surveyed all planets inside the clusters directly neighboring the core worlds as well as the three unclaimed systems between the core worlds. Unfortunately, the only planet with less than 125% hazard rating I could find is a terran world with 75%, ruins, food farming +0, ore mining +0, organics mining +1. The system only contains one other planet with volatiles mining +0. Although core world proximity and hazard rating are very nice I am much underwhelmed by the amount of ressources inside the sector.

Now to my question: Which of the three criterias (ressources, hazard, accessiblity) is the most important?
Should I take the close, low-hazard terran world with terrible ressources?
Should I search for a better world that might be far, far away from the sectors center?
Should I go with a world that has much better ressources but worse hazard rating, e.g. 150+ %?

Thanks in advance!

DDwarrirofire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: First colony, most important criteria?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 09:23:28 AM »

0 food and +1 organic is not bad.   Sure it's not +2 and +2, but it's enough to sustain you and all other colonies.

Now the volatile, rare ore and ores is needed at +1 for best results.  max 2,3,3 respectively.  When you supply your own imports it reduces the upkeep of all buildings.

While low hazard is nice, it's the least important unless you just need a planet strictly for defense,  heavy industry, light and fuel.  These don't require resources on a planet to build.

It works well enough to be a starting system. If nothing else just get the farm world started,  it's easy money and pulls little attention.  This way you get to become more familiar with Colony setup and have some income while searching for the "awesome" system.  Which should be fairly easy now since all you would need is +1 Ore, Rare Ore and Volatile.  These are often found together so even better.  You're at a great start.

Final note: Does it have a stable point?  Not the end of the world but would be a lot nicer if it has at least 1 or maybe a Comm Station but those are so rare I don't even consider them when looking for a location.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 09:38:54 AM by DDwarrirofire »

Atopo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 09:42:32 AM »

0 food and +1 organic is not bad.   Sure it's not +2 and +2, but it's enough to sustain you and all other colonies.

Now the volatile, rare ore and ores is needed at +1 for best results.  max 2,3,3 respectively.  When you supply your own imports it reduces the upkeep of all buildings.

While low hazard is nice, it's the least important unless you just need a planet strictly for defense,  heavy industry, light and fuel.  These don't require resources on a planet to build.

It works well enough to be a starting system. If nothing else just get the farm world started,  it's easy money and pulls little attention.  This way you get to become more familiar with Colony setup and have some income while searching for the "awesome" system.  Which should be fairly easy now since all you would need is +1 Ore, Rare Ore and Volatile.  These are often found together so even better.  You're at a great start.

Final note: Does it have a stable point?  Not the end of the world but would be a lot nicer if it has at least 1 or maybe a Comm Station but those are so rare I don't even consider them when looking for a location.

Thanks for the quick answer, DDwarrirofire! That helps me a lot already.

If I would use the close terran world as an industrial world, could I supply it with ressources from other worlds in other systems? Does it matter how much the supplier-colonies are away from the industry planet?

DDwarrirofire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 10:37:31 AM »

If I would use the close terran world as an industrial world, could I supply it with ressources from other worlds in other systems? Does it matter how much the supplier-colonies are away from the industry planet?
Yep, as long as you can keep accessibility at or above 100% your colonies in other system will be able to provide their full import capacity.  The distance does matter a bit but you have a lot of ways to boost accessibility.  Megaport 30%, Admin Skill 30%, Waystation 10%, Core boost 20%, increased colony size. 

Obviously the higher the better since that is essentially free money but bare minimum if it's 100, you're ok.

Forgot to mention, if you ever feel like your system can't defend it'self well enough, use that 2nd planet.  This is also why good Gas Giants are so coveted if they have good planets around them.  Multiple colonies in the same system are already tough but stacked on top of each other with the gas giant 2-4 plus their orbital stations are practically unbreakable since the patrols from each protect each other.  Plus gas giants are warp points so you can jump right on top of your colonies.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 10:42:51 AM by DDwarrirofire »

Atopo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 10:54:54 AM »

Yep, as long as you can keep accessibility at or above 100% your colonies in other system will be able to provide their full import capacity.  The distance does matter a bit but you have a lot of ways to boost accessibility.  Megaport 30%, Admin Skill 30%, Waystation 10%, Core boost 20%, increased colony size. 

Obviously the higher the better since that is essentially free money but bare minimum if it's 100, you're ok.

Forgot to mention, if you ever feel like your system can't defend it'self well enough, use that 2nd planet.  This is also why good Gas Giants are so coveted if they have good planets around them.  Multiple colonies in the same system are already tough but stacked on top of each other with the gas giant 2-4 plus their orbital stations are practically unbreakable since the patrols from each protect each other.  Plus gas giants are warp points so you can jump right on top of your colonies.

Great, thanks a lot! Those are great tips!

I'll go ahead and colonize the terran world and start a small farm and then expand it to an industrialized world once I get the required ressources from other planets.

One last question regarding the supply-planets:
Is the actual distance between two systems important for anything or does only the accessibility count (which is mostly determined by the proximity to the core worlds)?

DDwarrirofire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 11:55:46 AM »

well it isn't "required" it just amounts to you making more money.

Just the accessibility.  Other colonies you build can increase it too if nearby by a few percent.

kiss

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 10:45:39 PM »

Find a star with Domain-era Cryosleeper (+25% groth rate). you also have to defeat a guardian ship there
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 09:42:15 PM by kiss »

Tempest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 12:06:43 AM »

My criteria is at least two decent planets in the same system. One of which is 125% or lower, and the other 150% or lower. That's ok for a colony.

I also reroll the starting universe a few times, until I get one with multiple yellow stars not far from the core. That's where habitable planets are typically.

DDwarrirofire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 07:08:56 AM »

Find a star with Domain-era Cryosleeper (+25% groth rate). you also have to defend a guardian ship there
more like a 100%, throw an alpha and you get double value.   Practically the only way to get a size 9-10 colony.

Atopo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 09:53:27 AM »

Thanks a lot for the tips!
I should probably have rerolled the sector a few times but I had no clue and it is my first campaign.
It seems I just had really bad luck with planets though :D

However, my two colonies are doing well enough and I am currently doing more surveys to find a proper mining world to supply my heavy industry colony.