Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: What do you set the max battle size to?  (Read 10927 times)

Gregorovitch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
What do you set the max battle size to?
« on: February 21, 2020, 04:03:16 AM »

I've been playing on default since I started which is apparently 300 pts divided between both sides. Now I have a big fleet I'm finding it annoying that I can't really field my fleet, I can only field a couple of capitals and my own ship and maybe one or two cruisers and frigates. In the end a Paragon may be 60 pts and an Apogee 18 pts but when push comes to shove I'd take two Paragons over one Paragon plus three Apogees any day of the week. Which makes things feel a bit one dimensional.

I am curious as to:

* what folk like to set max battle size at
* why the devs set the default to 300, what the intention was

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
  • Looking right into your soul
    • View Profile
Re: What do you set the max battle size to?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 04:34:11 AM »

I usually set it to max. (sometimes I cheat a bit by setting it to the lowest possible to stomp a fight with my capital)

I think it's set to 300 because that's just a balanced point. Too high might be too heavy on low end machines. Too low and it's easy for players and not as exciting.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 04:59:37 AM »

Default 300. Higher settings is too easy unless I'm not deploying my share of DP.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 05:10:13 AM »

Default battlesize used to be 100, then 200 and now 300. It doesn't seemed to have changed due to any sort of balance point as ship stats and DP remained the same, but rather that players said that being able to deploy 1 capital ship was boring and people wanted to see bigger battles. The introduction of remnant battlestations and stations from colonies also forces the battlesize to rise.

I play with 300 and then rise to 500 around the time I am fighting fleets with 8+ capitals otherwise the battle takes too long. There is no real reason why I can't put the battlesize to 500 from the start though.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 05:44:50 AM »

When I started 0.9.1a, I began with the default of 300.  Once I reached multi-capital fights, 300 was too small because every fight was a series of multi-round fighting game-like 3v3 duels, reminiscent of Mortal Kombat endurance matches, which I thought was nonsense, and raised map size to the max of 500.  Even 500 is barely big enough.

300 is too small for the current release.  It would be fine for pre-0.8a or possibly pre-0.9a releases.  Endgame fleets of prior releases were the size of a modern 200k bounty.

With my old computer, 500 is fine for cruiser and battleship fights, but not for Drover-and-Spark spam.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 06:55:20 AM »

I m using default, but can remember few times when i changed it to 200 or 500. It affects the list of ships enemy deploys simultaneously and can affect the battle in general.
Spoiler
[close]

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 07:32:55 AM »

Smaller sizes just don't feel right to me, like you get into a huge fight with numerous fleets which have 7-8 caps and then only thing you see is maybe one with a pile of smaller ships around it. It's like I'm playing a tower defense game and just try to endure the waves. Also the plus side of bigger battle sizes is that fights go a lot quicker. You could argue than lowering the battle size enables you to have a bigger impact on otherwise unwinnable fights but that's just cheeseing to me.

I believe battle size was said to be an exact value once Alex figures out what's the best for the game (you could always change it in settings.json tho) so guess we'll wait and see. And if that turns out true I'd love to see a system where when fighting in asteroid fields or similar terrain it would lower the overall battle size to allow for some sneaky plays. Otherwise it would just be the default bigger size.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 08:37:14 AM »

Max was 500 in older releases too.  Fights got bigger, capitals cost more DP (especially Paragon).  Back then, 500 was usually enough to deploy everything (although battleship spam was simply not possible before 0.7a).  Not today.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 09:36:09 AM »

Its on the bigger size when you have the bigger impact. Anything you click gets instantly removed by the swarm of fighters and missiles. On the smaller deployment you dont really have the spare firepower.

We have already talked about it. First you fit your fleet for some low dps mid-to-long range fight. When you are forced to corner camp. And so the sad story of the long battles is born. But the reality is that you dont have to do it unless you want it. You can fit a brawler taskforce, break through the lines, go all the way up to the opposite border and blow all the stuff up just as it is being deployed. Fast fights, no need for hardened subsystems, no CR wars, just pure fun.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:10:59 AM by Lucky33 »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 10:03:14 AM »

500. If I had a better computer, I probably would have went for 1000. I don't particularly care for balance, I just like big, flashy fleet battles. One of the reasons I appreciate Starsector.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 11:29:57 AM »

I started at 300, moved to 500, then got bored and decided to amp EVERYTHING up. Now enjoying huge 1k battlesize fleet battles between hundreds of ships :)

Don't care that my FPS drops to 10 :D

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 09:07:36 AM »

You can fit a brawler taskforc
What is a brawler taskforce? Whatever it may be, I am guessing it's not made out of Brawlers.

I started at 300, moved to 500, then got bored and decided to amp EVERYTHING up. Now enjoying huge 1k battlesize fleet battles between hundreds of ships :)

You aren't ramping anything up if you are getting a third of the framerate you should be getting to play comfortably. If anything, it seems to suggest your machine cannot perform even at 300 battlesize.

Anyways this post from Alex: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=17985.msg282225;topicseen#msg282225 suggests that the biggests fleets will likely be somewhat smaller and looking at it, it should be fine for 300 battlesize.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 04:43:58 PM »

You can fit a brawler taskforc
What is a brawler taskforce? Whatever it may be, I am guessing it's not made out of Brawlers.

You aren't ramping anything up if you are getting a third of the framerate you should be getting to play comfortably. If anything, it seems to suggest your machine cannot perform even at 300 battlesize.

Anyways this post from Alex: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=17985.msg282225;topicseen#msg282225 suggests that the biggests fleets will likely be somewhat smaller and looking at it, it should be fine for 300 battlesize.

my computer works fine at 500 battlesize (60 fps). It's just that I prefer big big space battles and only allocated 3.5 gb ram. I edited some game files so that the fleet size doctrine multiplier is larger (ie every faction spawns bigger fleets) which should balance out increased fleet size. Anyway my comp only drops to 10 fps when there are massive amounts of fighters/missiles

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 01:30:51 AM »

I do slightly above default because 2-3 cap ship at once is dumb, unless there are really large amounts of ships on both sides, then i will increase to max

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 02:30:58 AM »

500, because I want a fleet battle, not just a long series of duels at 300.