Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Planetary Invasion - It's war, not a battle  (Read 10111 times)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Invasion - It's war, not a battle
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2020, 04:28:37 PM »

@Histidine Wow! That looks amazing!

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2020, 06:35:59 PM »

I don't know if i understand you, trading doesn't make space battles more fun or satisfying either, but it's mechanics can drive conflict (read: space batles)
Sure it does. Trade introduces cargo ships and their less reputable variants. On the defense, trade ships slow your fleet down add valuable cargo adds extra risk to getting in fights. On the attack, random traders create juicy targets to hunt down. So trade does add to battles, both directly and indirectly.

Planet invasions are a bit different. The biggest aspect of battle is breaking down the defenses on the planet. After that point, the planet battle isn't terribly important, the big battle is already done. Of course, the extra loot and blueprints DO add into combat by opening up new options for your fleet. But there's no reason to gate it behind a spreadsheet.

The sneak peak of the next planet raiding system lets players choose either large or small objectives against worlds. On the small end it lets players run into trouble even sooner, which is great for space combat. I dunno if facing off against planetary defense fleets is the smartest of early game goals though. On the high end it will hopefully reduce some of the drag of farming blueprints, or at least more consistently link battles to rewards. That's pretty nice too.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2020, 05:16:56 AM »

You don't add cargo ships that matches the speed of your slowest ship? It shouldn't be any more risky to have cargo ships.
Pages: 1 [2]