Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Odd targeting behavior (Solved)  (Read 486 times)

crash7ds

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Odd targeting behavior (Solved)
« on: February 18, 2020, 03:33:56 AM »

First off, I do run mods, but I've already tried removing/uninstalling them and running the game vanilla. So far this behavior happens regardless, but I can never seem to target any enemy ship I want to. When the UI finally does target the intended target, it rarely keeps that same target locked up for more than a few seconds before either unselecting it or something else I'm not focusing on. It's driving me up a wall because I can't monitor enemy armor levels or watch their speed. It's not a big issue in of itself, but I've so far found no workaround and it sure would be nice for it to work just once. Any thoughts?

Btw, I'm running the latest build, 0.9.1a RC8.

Edit: It's just autopilot being autopilot. Not a bug.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 01:28:54 AM by crash7ds »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Odd targeting behavior
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 08:44:34 AM »

Hmm, that's odd. It almost sounds like what would happen if you had autopilot enabled on the ship you're in. In that case, pressing "R" to target something will not break autopilot, but autopilot will still continually target what it thinks is appropriate. Is that what's happening here?

crash7ds

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Odd targeting behavior
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 01:27:19 AM »

Yep, must be. On a hunch I started pressing buttons thinking maybe there was some other keybinding for targeting I wasn't thinking of an noticed it stopped doing that once I was in manual control of the ship. Makes a lot more sense actually. I still wish you could manually govern targeting to allow partial control, but that's fair enough. At least I know it's not a bug.

Issue solved. Thank you.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Odd targeting behavior (Solved)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 08:29:31 AM »

Whew, glad that's all it was!

I still wish you could manually govern targeting to allow partial control, but that's fair enough.

(Makes sense, yeah. The main issue is that missile targeting relies on the current target, so the AI has to set/unset it as needed.)