Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Procurements and local storage question.  (Read 821 times)

DrPhat

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Procurements and local storage question.
« on: February 17, 2020, 01:57:26 AM »

I may be loosing my mind here but it seems like if I store harvested organs or recreation drugs on the planet Umbra I no longer receive any procurements for either to that planet.

Are commodities that are stored on a planet or station(in a rented storage) counted towards the procurement algorithm in some way?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 01:55:39 PM by DrPhat »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Procurements and local storage question.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 08:41:31 AM »

That is in fact correct and (maybe?) not a bug, though I agree it's a bit strange. I think the original goal of the code was to not give procurement messages for something that's locally available, but including storage in that, I don't remember if that was intentional. Let me think about it a bit!

DrPhat

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 01:50:00 PM »

Thanks Alex your truely an amazing person, you and your team have impressed me beyond measure with your product!

I feel like logically since the commodity in question is sequestered away in my owned storage that it shouldn't be considered in the station or planets need or desire for that commodity.

Having done the footwork of getting the credits buying and flying the commodity to its destination. I look forward to the reward of my planning.

That being said the easy workaround is to just store the commodities on my person or on a nearby planet or station.

Although this feels like it misses the core of the issue which seems to be the code recognizing all commodities on a planet or station regardless If it's in storage or circulation.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 01:52:28 PM by DrPhat »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 01:55:57 PM »

It's easy enough to make it skip storage; let me just do that. I think the intent was to not have "trivial" procurement missions pop up, but as you say, that's both a reward for forward planning, and there's an easy workaround, so that doesn't really seem good in the first place.

DrPhat

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 01:58:30 PM »

I'm relieved beyond words! Not for the chance to make some easy credits but that I'm not going crazy! I had commodities stored on Umbra for entire cycles and never got a procurement for them. Then when I removed them from the storage I would get a procurement soon after.

I'm absolutely floored by your dedication, thanks again!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 02:00:12 PM by DrPhat »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 02:00:05 PM »

Hah, yeah, I can totally see how this would be an "am I going crazy" situation :)

Glad to fix it up, and thank you for bringing it to my attention!

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 06:17:36 PM »

Glad to fix it up, and thank you for bringing it to my attention!

Something else about Storage, specifically:
The tooltip on weapons/fighters give a count of how many you own. However, it will not include those that are in the "free storage" stations. This throws me off in early game when I'm hoarding useful weapons in Corvus system.

On a somewhat related note:
When you open Colony management with [d], you get to see a small bit of your storage only if you know exactly which tooltip to use. However, that tooltip is easily truncated due to size limitation on the frame.