Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Harder than darksoul games  (Read 5674 times)

BadGame

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Harder than darksoul games
« on: February 16, 2020, 04:30:10 PM »

This can be a good game but for casual gamers or players who want to have some fun this game just sux, and why?

Pirate Attacks! many many fleets, just need to quit and load or get destroyed.

Crazy stupid amound fuel and suply usage, its just insane! and thats why its very hard to get money or anything else.
if u want to beat those pirates my army use all the suply and fuel and its game over very fast, or i can fly couple fleets and get destroyed.

Not sure what devs want? but it seems the game is unplayable.. Tried 3 times now but its allways the same, no money,no fuel,no suply.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 04:32:53 PM by BadGame »

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Harder than darksoul games
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 04:39:38 PM »

The fuel and supply use depends on how many ships you have on your fleet, as well as how much supplies they use per month. Salvaging in debris after fights helps to scavenge for supplies and fuel, and sell some stuff you don't need, and store the excess supplies, fuel, and ships in some abandoned station.

Those pirate fleets tend to be large because of the system defenses. Worse if it is during a pirate raid.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 04:44:02 PM »

Where are you seeing so many pirate fleets? Did you start a colony super early or something? If you're not trying to get a colony going, you shouldn't be getting attacked by pirates all that regularly. You can easily make money by doing bar missions/exploration missions with virtually no combat involved.

Tempest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 04:54:29 PM »

Each ship you deploy in combat, costs you some supplies after combat ends. You probably deploy everything in every combat, and needlessly waste supplies. Only deploy enough ships to win.

Squigzilla

• Commander
  • SQUIG Industries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 05:04:43 PM »

Taking a commission with a faction will give you a healthy monthly stipend based on fleet size, enough to cover most of your supply and fuel costs. You also get an extra bonus for every enemy ship destroyed. It means you have to watch out for hostile fleets when traveling around the sector, but it's a great source of extra income that doesn't require a big change in tactics.
High Admiral Davian MacNaile of the SQUIG Industries Human Resources Motivational Flotilla

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 05:05:35 PM »

The missions are pretty casual and low-risk?

Even a moderately-optimized ship/skill/fleet loadout grinds up pirate fleets at low cost.

Also, the "easy" mode is nothing to be ashamed of starting out.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 07:16:38 PM »

To be fair, pirate fleets in core world raids ramp up pretty fast to a hardcore amount.
This feels like an experimental thing to me. Probably will not look like this in the coming versions or when the game is finished.

There are ways to run out of fuel, supplies and money. But you need to keep in mind that you are playing against the clock. This is not a game where you can fly around without a care in the world. Sitting still is relatively cheap, but you'll always have to pay a maintenance minimum as well as crew wages.

A good idea to start with is to find a system with a per-ship pirate bounty in place. This can even be the tutorial system. Hanging around combat sites in hyperspace and salvaging what comes is also a nice way to get started.

Sidestrafe2462

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 12:31:58 AM »

*koff*

Are you trying to face down pirate fleets with basic trade fleets and then buying far too many ships to support and then clubbing the pirates with the hand of god?

You are supposed to avoid the big bad pirate. What I'm hearing is "this game is too complicated for me but instead of getting good (sorry) ima tell the others that its bad of spite with my own username"

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 12:36:55 AM »

First just go through some main menu missions and sim duels. Campaign expects you to be adequate pilot (or smuggler) right away.
Or use "Easy" difficulty, I guess.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 01:23:39 AM »

As for me, the hardest part of the gameplay was to learn to hold Shift in a combat. Helps a lot. Not true for some ships though... Odyssey, for example.
Spoiler
[close]

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 01:26:44 AM »

And then people ask why the game isn't on Steam... Well precisely for this reason, people who don't even bother to learn the game mechanics, fail multiple times and then go crying on the reviews. Thankfully you have to make an account here first, then make a topic and so on, while on steam people would just leave ''game sux too hard lolol''.

To the OP: Treat this as an old school RPG, save non stop so you can easily reload if something bad happens. From what you have told it seems you're most likely travelling in hyperspace with transponder on, that would explain the big pirate fleets. But other than that you didn't really explain what you're doing in the game. How big is you fleet? What ships do you have? Are you trying to explore or stick close to home worlds and do bounty mission? Say something other than ''harder than darksouls games'' which is an incredible overstatement, I'll bet 100 credits you haven't even played Darksouls.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 05:04:33 AM »

To be honest, the game needs some good tutorials. When i was a new player, i passed through some steps.

It was intuitive to me to try to deploy less ships than possible to save more supplies, but it took some time to learn the difference between kinetic and HE dmg (yes, it is written, but you need to feel it in practice). And i still dont concider EMP as a weapon :D

Also, it was little hard to pilot ship, shoot things, manage flux and command fleet at the same time. So, now i m using shift for aiming and always set all weapons except missiles on the autofire. It helps.

Also the salvage message... It is a little bit confusing when it says there is a big risk and little reward. You freely can salvage 3 times and leave then. On my first run i salvaged only once. Also it was a good surprise to learn that you can salvage after looting research station and get additional valuable blueprints.
Spoiler
[close]

Gregorovitch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 05:38:13 AM »

Not sure what devs want? but it seems the game is unplayable.. Tried 3 times now but its allways the same, no money,no fuel,no suply.

As one fellow noob to another all I can say is.........put the effort in to get gud. The game is EA and it can be unforgiving but that's why it's so good. You will have to persist and learn how to a) avoid death, b) avoid bankruptsy and then c) keep ahead of the power curve but the rewards for putting the work in are big. When you succeed/make progress it feels very good. The combat alone in this game makes it worth the effort.

It's a complicated game and given it's still EA it's not set up to be particularly noob friendly. However there are some good Youtube tutorial runthroughs which I have watched to get the basics of how to play down. I strongly advise you to do the same 'cos, as I say, this game is big fun and exiting plus a sense of achievement when you get the hang of it.

These are some of the tutorials I found, all of which demonstrate somewhat different play styles which is another indication of the depth of this game and all of which are packed with tips, tricks and howto's.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHqSuWJSw8SDcF86-v9IH9jqRiZm6YsvG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzQOwp13MHw
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTfuCvvESV3MgDO52IT0hzwBHusy4bcDH
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeN2w4mIzUWWNvZLJqdnCQPbSOcIHUgcA

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 06:30:18 AM »

Hard game?

Depends on what it is compared. Easier than battletoads.

All the difficulty is game mechanic, you haven`t explore yet.

Advice to easy start: go buy "drum" class tanker and some fuel into it. Make an independent save to file. Grab any "analyze" mission. And go on, fly there, salvage all you can and return. Buy some freighter on reward, like buffalo or so. Restore your supply and fuel. Repeat. You do not need to fight at all and gain literally millions of money and very fast.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

BadGame

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 06:38:08 AM »

Ok thx for everyone, i think i know what i did wrong(almost everything)
and yes i got a colony too early and using transponder on. So huge pirate fleets attack almost allways.
i got too many fleets (suply usage was 6-7 and fuel usage +30)

is there mod that will reduce supply usage let say -50%?
it might be i dont have time to git gud so  very easy mode might be best suited for my play style.

I was playing mixed and half universe, was that a mistake?

Edit: i mod supply usage so now its only  1/3  orginal values and i raise recovery rate/per day values some.
Maybe its now more casual friendly and fun to play.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 11:15:02 AM by BadGame »
Pages: [1] 2 3