Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Harder than darksoul games  (Read 5678 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Harder than darksoul games
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2020, 12:36:36 PM »

You should start your first colony when your fleet is strong enough to kill medium sized pirates (up to 1 or 2 of their caps if your are unlucky on the first raid) and pirate bases. When that is is highly dependent on your fleet composition, skills, etc, but thats the level of opposition you are guaranteed to face. If you keep your colony "not" a free port you should not attract any faction expeditions until you reach size 6 or so.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2020, 01:41:41 PM »

Don't spread your colonies out, if you can do several in a single system they'll all support each other with fleets, and you'll have to do less flying around to administer them (like install cores and what not).  FWIW I don't do a colony until I've explored most of the sector.  It's just too hard to go away for long periods of time when you have to babysit colonies as much as you currently do (defending against raids, blowing up hostile stations, etc). 

There's a lot of money and salvage out there in them stars.

tseikk1

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2020, 01:49:21 PM »

Yeah, the game sure is harder than dark souls, because you have to actually use your own brain instead of memorizing a pattern over and over again (DARK SOULS ISNT HARD, JUST TIME CONSUMING)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2020, 02:14:37 PM »

Before starting a colony, do person bounties. The pirates will send raids at your colonies could be as strong as the ~150-200k pirate bounties, so you can figure out what fleet you need to beat those and that should be enough to defend your colony. Doing those bounties will also give you cash to invest in your colony so it's a good idea anyway.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 03:32:54 PM by intrinsic_parity »

Gregorovitch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2020, 04:27:09 PM »

The flux system is not really that much unfamiliar to the shield/health regeneration in many FPS games nowadays.

Yes, I don't play FPS games at all. I found out about this game via my main Steam Group, eXplorminate, which is a 4X/Grand Strategy group. It's of interest to us 'cos it has some similarities to space based 4X games like Polaris Sector, Stellaris, GalCiv and Distant Worlds (the game map is quite like Distant Worlds map) and a lot of us are total space game junkies from a strategy point of view. But these games don't have any such combat systems.

My other two main genres are (mainly TB) tactical squad combat games such as Battle Brothers and XCOM and classic D20 style cRPGs from BG thru' Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Again, there are no similar systems in these games although I have remarked that XCOM on legend difficulty has some similarities with respect to the cat and mouse fighting model in that managing pod activation genenrally makes discretion the better part of valour if you don't like your soldiers biting the dust.

So I guess reaction to these systems is probably going to be somewhat dependent on the direction you came to the game from.

Gregorovitch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2020, 04:55:09 PM »

When i should start first colony?

From my understanding so far the short answer to that is when you've found it.

What you are looking for is one system with at least one and preferably two high habitability planets (<=125%) one with +1 or better farming, a good mining planet ideally with +2/+3 in both ore and rare metals and a gas giant with +2 volatiles. The reason is that planetary defenses/bases overlap and stack with each other turning a system like this into a fortress. This system also needs to be reasonably close to the core so you have a cheap and speedy commute to get supplies/jobs etc. So it needs to be in the inner ring of star systems around the core.

The perfect system like this is rare however and in practice you may have to compromise a bit but you will want the best compromise available. To that end you want to conduct a survey of all the systems in the inner ring systematically. To do that efficiently and profitably you need a decent fleet including at least one ship with surveying modules, some salvage rigs/shepherds to maximise loot proceeds and a reasonable array of decent combat ships plus tankers and freighters. It is also advisable to make sure your fleet's burn speed is 9+ as you will likely come across stuff you need to escape from (mostly you can do this by installing military subsystems mod in freighters/tankers etc and taking the level 3 navigation skill that gives you +1 burn across your fleet).

I found by doing this most of the other requirements for starting your first colony in terms of fleet composition and cash at hand look after themselves from the proceeds of this expedition.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2020, 12:37:46 PM »

When i should start first colony?

From my understanding so far the short answer to that is when you've found it.

What you are looking for is one system with at least one and preferably two high habitability planets (<=125%) one with +1 or better farming, a good mining planet ideally with +2/+3 in both ore and rare metals and a gas giant with +2 volatiles. The reason is that planetary defenses/bases overlap and stack with each other turning a system like this into a fortress. This system also needs to be reasonably close to the core so you have a cheap and speedy commute to get supplies/jobs etc. So it needs to be in the inner ring of star systems around the core.

The perfect system like this is rare however and in practice you may have to compromise a bit but you will want the best compromise available. To that end you want to conduct a survey of all the systems in the inner ring systematically. To do that efficiently and profitably you need a decent fleet including at least one ship with surveying modules, some salvage rigs/shepherds to maximise loot proceeds and a reasonable array of decent combat ships plus tankers and freighters. It is also advisable to make sure your fleet's burn speed is 9+ as you will likely come across stuff you need to escape from (mostly you can do this by installing military subsystems mod in freighters/tankers etc and taking the level 3 navigation skill that gives you +1 burn across your fleet).

I found by doing this most of the other requirements for starting your first colony in terms of fleet composition and cash at hand look after themselves from the proceeds of this expedition.
And as a side note at least 2 colonies are needed to have the 6 industries necessary for a self-sustaining faction. If those two planets have the combined production of food, ore, rare ore, volatiles, and organics, then it is good.
Pages: 1 2 [3]