Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 275

Author Topic: [0.6.2a] Uomoz's Sector: Journey 1.3 [upd.17\05] *New video in the OP!*  (Read 1549173 times)

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.2a] Uomoz's Sector: Journey 1.2 (Mods Collection) [upd.22\01]
« Reply #3240 on: January 27, 2014, 07:35:35 PM »

Only about half have a civilian station.  Some are just dead ends for you except to farm XP / crafting recipes.
Next version has less systems. Something was cut! Now all systems have an independent station though.

Aw no, you didn't cut a whole faction did you, I like these factions!
Where can I read about how the voidwalker base works?  Google's failing me and the mod doesn't seem to be listed on the front page (just a patch note saying you implemented it).
I don't think there is a place to read about the station, but it isn't all that hard to explain. Upon activation, the station sets the player at war with all other factions and gives the player their own faction. The player can then freely store cargo inside of the station, turn salvage and loot into supplies and fuel, train marines, and construct any ship that the player has the resources and blueprint for. The station also starts creating fleets of ships randomly using the allowed blueprints and using the player's own fleet as a basis for the size, which will occasionally bring back resources, and do not cost any resources.

TimeDiver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: January 27, 2014, 08:47:05 PM »

Uomoz, regarding that brief line of discussion in the 'Tore Up Plenty' topic; I got permission from Erick Doe to upload.

This post contains the details regarding old/new 'graphics' folder structure, more or less; however, the linked archive below contains the revised folder structure for version 1.2 of your own mod (based on v5a of TuP).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz-e0Ikhh_YHQU9fWDRfb29ralU/edit?usp=sharing

My own recommendation: in comparing the two 'graphics' folder structure(s), delete any sub-folder in the current version of UzS that does not have an empty counterpart in the linked archive, then extract/copy & paste the 'tup' sub-folder from the archive in their place.

After the above, instead of 48 sub-folders, there should only be 22 afterwards (not including sub-sub-folders... you get the idea, right?)

Apologies in advance if I'm not giving a coherent explanation.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:00:09 PM by TimeDiver »

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: January 28, 2014, 02:45:00 AM »

Hey finally got the chance to sit down and play the latest version the other day (most of my time is spent modding these days). In short, I really like it! I almost get the feeling that this is an official content add-on from Alex, (especially the blueprints/salvage/building ships).

A couple of things I noticed while playing (take this with a grain of salt, only played for an hour or two before I started modifying the files and trying to fit in new ships and stuff):
-Faction-specific parts are hard to get at your faction's stations. This makes it difficult to build your faction's ships unless you actively start killing them for salvage (there aren't all that many faction specific parts you can buy at stations otherwise).
-Some systems are a little too well-defended for their own good. Rasht, for instance, was very quiet since the Mayorate and Pirates are friends with each other. The two factions pretty much annihilated anybody who got close haha  ::). It would make things a little more interesting if the Hegemony or some other mutual enemy of the two had an occasional spawn in-system to liven things up. That said, it was pretty fun to use the system as a base while raiding innocent convoys of traders. That part of the map pretty much turned into a black hole for commerce, which I like.
-It's too easy to leave a faction by accident by pushing the wrong button (but I think someone else already mentioned that).
-The grav cannon (built-in weapon for the Del Azarchel) keeps popping up in station inventories, which it probably shouldn't do.

Also, I wanted your input on something-
I was potentially going to redo my mod's structure at some point in the future (add faction-specific prefixes to weapons/sounds/graphics/etc, create centralized faction graphics/sounds folders, rename several ships' internal ID's to their actual name). It should make my mod a lot cleaner and easier to work with going forwards, but would mess up your UsS integration for my next version in the short term. I'm currently undecided about whether or not I wanted to do all this for my next update, and wanted to check in and see if you were up for it. If not, that's cool, I can hold off on doing it for awhile.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: January 28, 2014, 03:56:25 AM »

Thanks again for the feedback guys!

Uomoz, regarding that brief line of discussion in the 'Tore Up Plenty' topic; I got permission from Erick Doe to upload.

This post contains the details regarding old/new 'graphics' folder structure, more or less; however, the linked archive below contains the revised folder structure for version 1.2 of your own mod (based on v5a of TuP).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz-e0Ikhh_YHQU9fWDRfb29ralU/edit?usp=sharing

My own recommendation: in comparing the two 'graphics' folder structure(s), delete any sub-folder in the current version of UzS that does not have an empty counterpart in the linked archive, then extract/copy & paste the 'tup' sub-folder from the archive in their place.

After the above, instead of 48 sub-folders, there should only be 22 afterwards (not including sub-sub-folders... you get the idea, right?)

Apologies in advance if I'm not giving a coherent explanation.

Thanks man! I will put this to use!

Hey finally got the chance to sit down and play the latest version the other day (most of my time is spent modding these days). In short, I really like it! I almost get the feeling that this is an official content add-on from Alex, (especially the blueprints/salvage/building ships).

A couple of things I noticed while playing (take this with a grain of salt, only played for an hour or two before I started modifying the files and trying to fit in new ships and stuff):
-Faction-specific parts are hard to get at your faction's stations. This makes it difficult to build your faction's ships unless you actively start killing them for salvage (there aren't all that many faction specific parts you can buy at stations otherwise).
-Some systems are a little too well-defended for their own good. Rasht, for instance, was very quiet since the Mayorate and Pirates are friends with each other. The two factions pretty much annihilated anybody who got close haha  ::). It would make things a little more interesting if the Hegemony or some other mutual enemy of the two had an occasional spawn in-system to liven things up. That said, it was pretty fun to use the system as a base while raiding innocent convoys of traders. That part of the map pretty much turned into a black hole for commerce, which I like.
-It's too easy to leave a faction by accident by pushing the wrong button (but I think someone else already mentioned that).
-The grav cannon (built-in weapon for the Del Azarchel) keeps popping up in station inventories, which it probably shouldn't do.

Also, I wanted your input on something-
I was potentially going to redo my mod's structure at some point in the future (add faction-specific prefixes to weapons/sounds/graphics/etc, create centralized faction graphics/sounds folders, rename several ships' internal ID's to their actual name). It should make my mod a lot cleaner and easier to work with going forwards, but would mess up your UsS integration for my next version in the short term. I'm currently undecided about whether or not I wanted to do all this for my next update, and wanted to check in and see if you were up for it. If not, that's cool, I can hold off on doing it for awhile.

1) I see your point, I will add some form of production for faction parts in faction stations!

2) That acually already changed in DEV :) expecially Rasht.

3) I'm in the process of fixing the accidental leave issue.

4) Uh, I may have added a SYSTEM weapon to my lists. Will fix!

About the id refactoring, go ahead, I will keep up with the changes, don't worry :).

vehementi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: January 28, 2014, 10:43:20 AM »

Not sure I really like the voidwalker thing - it makes it very hard to outfit ships when you can't buy things from the independent traders anymore (even those stations are hostile, which makes no sense)

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: January 28, 2014, 11:02:43 AM »

Not sure I really like the voidwalker thing - it makes it very hard to outfit ships when you can't buy things from the independent traders anymore (even those stations are hostile, which makes no sense)

You want to save joining them for a little while until you have a decently good fleet, the point is to then blow up everything and salvage weapons off their ships lol

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: January 28, 2014, 11:29:16 AM »

I find scavenging for weapons and using sub optimal setups really entertaining so I won't probably change that!

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: January 28, 2014, 01:21:53 PM »

With supplies costing SO damn much (120 credits per unit), and destroying ships gives so little (not enough to compensate for damages during battle), I'm finding it really hard to get a hand on building up my fleet.  I've played for maybe 5 hours now and I can't seem to get back a destroyer and two frigates.  Even selling my blueprints (especially the Medusa blueprint), I can only find really weak fleets of 1 or two ships, or the really big ones that I can't possibly take on.

Any tips?  I know the game pretty well by now, but this mod is just killer. :P Haven't played it since .54, maybe.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: January 28, 2014, 02:25:31 PM »

I find scavenging for weapons and using sub optimal setups really entertaining so I won't probably change that!

Fully agree :) Sub optimal setups are much more fun!

I had a good play of the latest UsS over the weekend; very enjoyable! The sheer number of fleets that are hostile to you means a lot of dodging after you join the VoidWalkers, but that was my favorite part :)

I agree with kazi about the lack of manufacturing components for the faction you have joined. The only other issue (not really an issue) I had was receiving blue prints I already had.

With supplies costing SO damn much (120 credits per unit), and destroying ships gives so little (not enough to compensate for damages during battle), I'm finding it really hard to get a hand on building up my fleet.  I've played for maybe 5 hours now and I can't seem to get back a destroyer and two frigates.  Even selling my blueprints (especially the Medusa blueprint), I can only find really weak fleets of 1 or two ships, or the really big ones that I can't possibly take on.

Any tips?  I know the game pretty well by now, but this mod is just killer. :P Haven't played it since .54, maybe.

I found it pretty straightforward after I started selling all the manufacturing components that I was getting. You only really need them when you want a specific ship, and otherwise I was just stockpiling a heap of them for no reason.

Also, as the supply costs are so high, deploying more ships than you need to combat is really wasteful, as is repair costs if you take armor/hull damage.

I also kept one or two frigates as pursuit-only setups; they got deployed primarily for those pursuit scenarios where you are chasing down damaged or mothballed survivors. A couple of extra frigates don't cost much in credits or supplies/day. I also initially invested 5 points in Combat for the reduced CR etc. from deployment, which was handy as I tended to keep my flagship as the most expensive (deployment wise) ship.

vehementi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: January 28, 2014, 07:22:37 PM »

The thunderchief gun sound is super obnoxious :(

I'm looking for a capital ship to complement my desdinova for when I need a meat shield.  What kind of layout is good for that?  I find fighters are a huge problem when there are 3+ wings and I can't get to the carriers.

Also, do weapon groups etc. matter for AI controlled ships or will they always just fire each gun indepndently and correctly?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: January 28, 2014, 07:36:54 PM »

Alright, I started a new game and tried just selling all the ship parts that I found.  As I found that the Blackrock ships (especially the frigates) were REALLY good.  Now I'm an immensely rich privateer. :D

And I can vouch for the faction-dependent ship parts, the only time I ever got those was when I ran into a Pirate armed with some pinched Blackrock corvettes.  The smaller frigates aren't a problem, but the larger ones are.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 07:38:35 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: January 28, 2014, 07:48:56 PM »

I agree.  A few sounds changed as of the recent IFed compatibility patch and not all of them for the better.  Uomoz, you're welcome to change them as needed.

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: January 28, 2014, 08:02:23 PM »

Also, do weapon groups etc. matter for AI controlled ships or will they always just fire each gun indepndently and correctly?

Weapon groups do matter, and can affect how the ai ships fly. For example, if you have a hound armed with a light mortar and a heavy mauler, you can leave the two weapons in different weapon groups and the hound will usually stay at a far range, shooting with just the mauler until it decides that it can move in close for extra damage. Put the two guns in the same weapon group, however, and the hound will instead try to keep the enemy in range of both weapons, keeping close to the enemy.

Bankoleva

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: January 28, 2014, 09:11:27 PM »

I found it pretty straightforward after I started selling all the manufacturing components that I was getting. You only really need them when you want a specific ship, and otherwise I was just stockpiling a heap of them for no reason.

Also, as the supply costs are so high, deploying more ships than you need to combat is really wasteful, as is repair costs if you take armor/hull damage.

I also kept one or two frigates as pursuit-only setups; they got deployed primarily for those pursuit scenarios where you are chasing down damaged or mothballed survivors. A couple of extra frigates don't cost much in credits or supplies/day. I also initially invested 5 points in Combat for the reduced CR etc. from deployment, which was handy as I tended to keep my flagship as the most expensive (deployment wise) ship.

There is something i find abnormal with the supply system. It is definitely REALLY hard to start out especially if you don't know the mod. What troubles me though is the extreme cost to recover CR. There have been several battles where i have taken no damage. Seriously my hull and armor at 100% yet i burn hundreds of supplies just in CR recovery. In 1 particularly shocking case i ended up spending 30,000 credits buying supplies just to get my fleet back to peak readiness.... and that was 60something%. :o It defies logic why i would burn that much money and supplies for a ship with no damage to fly again ???

The second issue i have with the system is that i now find myself running to stations after every fight. Not to unload loot but just to buy damn supplies. The CR recovery always burns through the supplies i have on hand which is literally the whole cargo bay. And it took me forever to get a hold of a Freighter type ship with a huge cargo bay so i can attempt long distance voyage and combat. For a long time i wouldn't stray too far from a friendly station because so many times i got caught in a battle.... Win naturally but then have to go running back to a station for supplies and ofcourse run out half way there and have numerous malfunctions pop only making it worse. >:( Eventually as you take on bigger fleets, money isn't that big of a deal but cargo space is always a limit. My point here is that it's more of an annoying hassle than a neat feature.... for me anyway. I get even with a dedicated cargo ship at level 23 only 2 battles before i have to go running back to a station to burn 30k plus credits to make my ships combat ready again. :-\

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: January 28, 2014, 09:38:55 PM »

I agree.  A few sounds changed as of the recent IFed compatibility patch and not all of them for the better.  Uomoz, you're welcome to change them as needed.

Heh, I tried to find the closest match between the 0.54 and 0.6 sounds, but there wasn't always a good fit available. You could always revert the worst offenders to the old 0.54 sounds if you have an older copy of Starsector still. Just drop the old sfx in your mod's sounds folder and change the entry in sounds.json to play the old file.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 275