Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CTD on save [Modded]  (Read 2648 times)

General Bubbles

• Ensign
    • View Profile
CTD on save [Modded]
« on: February 11, 2020, 05:11:16 AM »

Hi folks!

I've having a CTD issue and I'm not quite sure what's causing it. I'm hoping someone can help.
I have a mods

Another Portrait Pack
Anvil Industries
Arsenal Expansion
automatic-orders
Autosave
Blackrock Drive Yards
Celestial Mount Circle
Combat Alarm Sounds
Combat Chatter
CombatAnalytics
Common Radar
Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering
DIABLEAVIONICS
DisassembleReassemble
ED Shipyard
fluffShipPack
Graphicslib 
HighTechArmada
Hazard Mining Incorporated
Junk Pirates
Lazylib
Leading Pip
Lightshow
Magiclib
Mayasuran Navy
Missing ships
Nexerelin
PlanetaryShieldAccessControl
Portrait pack
Rebalanced Pilums
Safety Override mod
SD_Boardable_Unboardables
Shadowyards
Ship and Weapon Pack
SkilledUp
Stop Gap Measure
tahlan
ToggleWeaponGroup
trailermoments
transponder-reminders
Tyrador Safeguard Coalition
Underworld
UnknownSkies
UpgradedRotaryWeapons
Version Checker
vesperon

I've allocated 4gig to the game (been like that for a long time now)
I've turned off all the bells and whistles in GraphicsLib
I've set processMessagesWhileSavingOrLoading to false
I run it as an Admin,
I've tried it in compatibility mode with all options
My Graphics drivers are all up to date
Nothing has solved it, so far.

I've been away from the game for a little while, but returned recently, updated all of the out of date mods.

I know this isn't much help, but if anyone has some ideas of what I can do to fix it, or if any of those mods colliding might be a cause, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks very much for your time!

EDIT: The initial save when making a new character goes through fine, btw. But any kind of save after that causes the crash, be it F5, a save in options or a Save and quit. All CTD, except the save that happens when you've finished making a character and starting a new game.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 05:20:29 AM by General Bubbles »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: CTD on save [Modded]
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 09:21:03 AM »

Hi - if you can post the stack trace from the log, that might help narrow down what the issue is.

Also: how much VRAM does your graphics card have?

General Bubbles

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 10:29:06 AM »

Hello!

I'm not too savvy on this kind of thing. How does one get the stack trace from the log?

I've attached a pic of the Vram info. I hope I did it correctly ¬__¬

EDIT: Sorry, that's not the graphics card my comp uses? It's a GTX 1050, not an Intel one O_o 
I think it has 2gb of VRAM

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 10:36:07 AM by General Bubbles »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 10:40:56 AM »

It sounds like you might be running out of VRAM - I don't think 2gb is enough for all the mods you're using. So the options would be to 1) turn off some of the mods until it stops crashing, or 2) try using the Intel card - performance will be worse, but it actually has access to more memory, I think, by using some system ram, so it *might* actually work with the mod set as-is.

General Bubbles

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 10:45:11 AM »

That's what I don't get. I've used this many mods for as long as I've been playing the game. hell, sometimes even more, and I've never had this issue, up until yesterday evening. So I can't understand why it suddenly started happening. I even took away some mods yesterday, so it's using even less than usual, ya know?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 10:50:00 AM »

Yeah, that's odd. Maybe there was an automatic driver update sometime yesterday? I could see how that might muck things up. Or, possibly - did you update any of the mods? If some added more content... but since you've also disabled some, it seems unlikely that it'd be more all told; the "driver update" theory seems a bit more probable.

General Bubbles

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 10:55:58 AM »

How do I get the stack trace? Maybe if I can show you that, like you asked, it might help. I don't have the slightest idea how to find/get it.

I've checked Nvidia and Win update and everything is up to date, it seems.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 11:00:57 AM »

It'd be in starsector.log, towards the end. Could be quite lengthy. Or, if it's a different kind of crash - you'd have an hs_err_pid<some numbers>.log file in the Starsector folder (or in starsector-core/) with a timestamp matching the time of the crash.

I've checked Nvidia and Win update and everything is up to date, it seems.

What I meant was if the drivers updated yesterday, they could go from a version where everything worked fine to a version where it didn't - so in that case, them being up to date would in fact be a problem. For example say the memory management in the driver changed and for whatever reason it was no longer able to load everything it needed to into the memory available.

When something was working and then stops working, the thing to do is look at what changed, right? So, just pointing out the drivers getting auto-updated as a possible candidate for that.

General Bubbles

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 11:23:32 AM »

I don't recall seeing any update notifications, and Nvidia won't update without my permission, it leaves me a little note in the Gefroce Experience program letting me know a new version is ready to download. Haven't had one in a couple of weeks, and it was SS was running yesterday, so hopefully we can rule that out.

You were NOT kidding when you said those logs were massive, but I have four of them from today and Geez...I tried to attached them in the hopes I don't try to C&P here and screw it up, somehow, but it was too large, so I stuck them in my old Mediafire storage for you

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xrb3ix6ik56y503/Logs%252C_I_think.zip/file

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 11:48:07 AM »

Hmm, not seeing any save-related crashes in these logs - do you have any of those hs_err_pid* files?

Regardless, though, I strongly suspect it's a "not enough VRAM" issue. It *is* odd that it just started happening, but...

General Bubbles

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 12:10:26 PM »

I didn't see any of those hs_err_pid ones. I don't get any notifs when it crashes, it just seizes up and the next thing ya know......desktop now fatal message or anything. 

I don't really know what to do about the VRAM, or if anything can be done.... :/

Ah well, thanks for trying to help me, either way, it is most sincerely appreciated!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 12:15:02 PM »

The things to do would be 1) turning off GraphicsLib via its settings file (iirc enableShaders:false) - not sure if you already did that or not, and 2) turning off more mods until it starts working.

General Bubbles

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 01:48:10 PM »

Turing off GraphicsLib was one of the very first things I did, just in case ^^

I'll just turn all of the non-utility mods off, then turn them on, one by one until it happens again.

Alternatively I'll turn them off, one by one, until it stops, and then once it stops, I'll make a note of the mod I turned off when it stopped happening, then do the rest, then turn on said mod and check to see if it was that mod being responsible for it.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 08:16:24 PM »

It isn't any specific mod that is the issue, it is just too many mods for your low-end system specs. You need to temper your gaming expectations :(

Anyways don't turn off mods randomly like that since yea as per what I said above that is a silly way to go about it. If you are in Windows 10? Look in the task manager to observe Vram usage and turn off mods you care less about until you say have 300 or 400mb free for swap space and then call it there and have fun! If you are not in Win10? Task manager does not state Vram usage and you will need to use a third party program like say MSI Afterburner instead.

General Bubbles

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 01:08:06 PM »

Well, after much Jiggery Pokery, I figured I'd do the ol' tried and tested re-install. I made a note of my mod list, re-installed Starsector, and fresh versions of the mods, and it seems to save normally now, thankfully! So Maybe it was a dodgy file, that had gotten a bit fudged over time, somehow.

I hope it holds out!

Thanks for all of the advice/help. It was and is very much appreciated! :)