Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: How do you all manage your weapons inventories?  (Read 3010 times)

Gregorovitch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
How do you all manage your weapons inventories?
« on: February 14, 2020, 07:46:57 AM »

I pick up literally thousands of weapons and I've got about 75 different types in my colony stash. I'm finding a PITA getting them all in and out of personal inventory to look at upgrading loudouts etc and putting them back again and even more of a PITA skimming off surpluses to sell off. Ther doesn't seem to be a way to differentiate what you want to keep from what you want to offload.

Wondered what tricks folk use that I'm missing to alleviate this tedium. Or if people don't bother and just dump them all in a colony stash and leave them to accumulate.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: How do you all manage your weapons inventories?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 07:54:05 AM »

Just stockpile everything (at least what you brought to base, but you can be more selective with what to pick up). Easier this way, and selling gives you pittance anyway.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 09:11:57 AM »

I keep anything that's either rare or very useful to have in bulk and slap it in storage. Regular storage at first and then eventually colony storage to get rid of the fees. As for how to manage the literal inventory - sort button all the way.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 09:25:57 AM »

This exact problem is why i'm kinda hoping salvage is overhauled one day, because yeah as it is it's super tedious and in practice pretty pointless.  It's especially annoying when you've got a huge stockpile at colony A, but you're at colony B (in one specific case to me, all the way across the sector).  Corralling your fleets is an interesting logistics problem in theory, but right now there's no depth to it so it's just a time and tedium tax.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 10:14:50 AM »

I don't have a problem. Maybe I just click faster and more accurately.

Why do you need to skim the surplus off anyways? Just stop adding weapons to your stockpile and you don't need to skim anymore.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 11:50:17 AM »

I'm finding a PITA getting them all in and out of personal inventory to look at upgrading loudouts
You don't have to do that. You can equip weapons from storage.

Gregorovitch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 01:39:55 PM »

I'm finding a PITA getting them all in and out of personal inventory to look at upgrading loudouts

Ah! Part of my beef was that it seemed to me you couldn't do that. I'm sure you're right so I'll try that next refit session. Thanks.

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 02:40:53 PM »

Well I usually hoard everything in my fleet regardless of the quality of the items. By the time all of the weapons start to take an unreasonable amount of inventory space I can get a colony running The final installment of Kek or Cringe for the Black Ops timeline and prequel to the first part.

https://twitter.com/elusionized I dump it all in storage. Although I tend to be very picky about the system which I choose to be my main base since it has to be somewhere close to the core and very well defended to keep my stockpile safe.
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

RedHellion

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 05:06:12 PM »

Ah! Part of my beef was that it seemed to me you couldn't do that. I'm sure you're right so I'll try that next refit session. Thanks.

The Refit screen 100% will show you both weapons in your fleet inventory and weapons in storage at the colony/station where you currently are. Just note that anything you dismount from your ships will go into your fleet inventory rather than colony storage, so when you're done refitting you might want to Ctrl+click all the weapon stacks you dismounted back from your inventory to your colony storage.

Anyway, I generally just stash every weapon I find in early-mid game at my "primary" colony once I get that far (or whatever my main base of operations is before I have my own colonies). After a certain point I simply stop picking up every single weapon I come across and only grab rare ones or ones I use a lot of. No point selling them since you won't make much money off them, they're only worth hoarding for personal use.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 05:10:32 AM »

You can also click "undo" on the refit screen.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 09:46:27 AM »

Small and medium weapons aren't worth very much, and it's no big deal to pack them in paid storage forever. For example, I have roughly 5000 inventory of random weapons from across the game, and it's only worth ~180k cr. That's 1.8k/month in storage for thousands of small guns. My mountain of medium weapons took up 3400 space and amounted to ~290k cr; 2.9k/month upkeep isn't a game breaker for hundreds of medium weapons. Large weapons have a bit more value, 2400 space worth of big guns was worth ~360k cr.  Put all together, we're talking about enough guns to equip all your ships forever, for the total upkeep cost of a few medium ships.

The point I'm trying to get at, is that you can just store all your guns at a planet storehouse. There's no need to rush the colony game or spend millions to fortify your armory world, or to use free storage tricks that don't really make sense. The cost of storage is already low enough that your guns can be cheaply stashed from the very beginning. It's a different story with space ships, as the storage price uses their full market value. It's very possible to build up millions of CR worth of ships by salvaging everything you fly across, and the price of 1 month of storage can easily exceed the sale price of the ships. Ship storage definitely warrants building up your own colonies and defenses for the cost savings.

Tempest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 04:57:48 PM »

I use the Mayasura abandoned astropolis to dump all my weapons (and commodities). I go there to refit everything, and there's the Mayraath dock right next to it for refitting ships.

I also start buying out all weapons from all stations after I acquire about one million credits.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 04:59:57 PM by Tempest »

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 03:42:41 AM »

I use the Mayasura abandoned astropolis to dump all my weapons (and commodities). I go there to refit everything, and there's the Mayraath dock right next to it for refitting ships.

Same thing in a Convus system near Asharu planet, there are abandoned terraforming platform. Hint: it have small useless present in it`s shipbay. ;)

I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.