Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'm nervous about when to start heavy industry  (Read 5439 times)

Gregorovitch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
I'm nervous about when to start heavy industry
« on: February 14, 2020, 07:34:36 AM »

I hear starting heavy industry causes "problems" with the other factions. Given I have no idea what these "problems" amount I'm nervous about when to start it. My situation is:

* Three planets in one system sizes 5, 4 and 3 at the moment producing a net income of about 100k per month after fleet costs.
* One has military base, the other two patrol HQ's
* One is a beezer mining world, +3 rare ore and + 2 ore (plus bonuses from my skills)
* I have four pristine nanoforges
* I'm not that happy with my fleet but it amounts to one Legion single D-mod carrier (hull debuff), a Heron, two dominators, two Apogees, an Eagle, a Falcon and a couple of overdriven Hammerheads plus sundry smaller ships. Enough to do 250k bounties and bases reasonably easy it seems.
* I haven't found any good capital ship blueprints yet, only the crumby Atlas one.
* I got 3m credits in the bank
* I took a commission with Hegemony to kick start my colonization but have resigned it now. But my ranking with the Persians and Magenta coloured faction are still not good, they are still suspicious.

I thought of doing some outer system exploration expeditions to see if I can find some decent capital ship blueprints or even derelict examples as a break from the bounty grind, but I'm unsure if I should start heavy industry now or if I should first upgrade my fleet and colonies in some way before doing so or perhaps grind up some better rep with the two major factions that don't like me very much.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: I'm nervous about when to start heavy industry
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 10:04:00 AM »

Heavy Industry doesn't cause problems with other factions, specifically. You should already be receiving expedition fleets from your other exports, and if you aren't for whatever reason, it's unlikely you will receive expedition fleets from building Heavy Industry. Even if you do so, the money gained is well worth the cost of defending from those fleets. If you can do 250k bounties, you should be able to defend your colony from the smaller expedition fleets anyways.

You got got 3m credits. Spend your money.

What is a beezer?

Gregorovitch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 10:28:47 AM »

Great, I'll get it started then  :)

Sorry, beezer is UK slang I guess. It basically means very good. I'm not 100% but I believe the origin of this use is from a popular weekly kids comic of the same name that ran from 1950's to about the 80's. Had iconic characters like Roger the Dodger, Minnie the Minx, Desperate Dan and Beryl the Peril in it.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 10:32:40 AM »

Made me think of a Bacardi Breezer.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

DDwarrirofire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 12:58:14 PM »

You sound pretty set. 2 HQ patrols and eventually a high command can defend very well especially alongside stations.

Depending on what you have, heavy industry may attract a certain fraction.  But just heavy industry and a pristine nanoforge by itself won't pull them though it is close.  If your planet only has light industry,  farming and structures it'll be fine. 

Otherwise,  no more D mods on your manufactured ships and defending fleets, going strong.

You'll also make a lot of money,  not just from the the export but all of your colonies will have reduced upkeep from being supplied in faction.

Note: if you want to build relations, take those Atlas ships, make a fleet and go do some trading to build rep.  Can be enjoyable although by the time you can do that money isn't really a thing.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 01:02:37 PM by DDwarrirofire »

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 01:13:26 PM »

Note: if you want to build relations, take those Atlas ships, make a fleet and go do some trading to build rep.  Can be enjoyable although by the time you can do that money isn't really a thing.
I don't think that he has the Super-freighter plan, I think that he has the "crumby" Pirate one. Pirate plans are so easy to find.

Its not hard to build rep with contracts but you won't get the right contracts unless you start hanging out in those systems. i.e. To build rep with Persian League, go to the systems claimed by Persian League.

Gregorovitch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 01:36:49 PM »

Game seems to be lying to me.

A Persian "expeditionary force" just popped round to see me - complete with four troop carriers presumably stuffed with marines - apparently upset about my market share in fuel. So the game told me these dudes were operating "unofficially" and wasting them would not affect my rep with the faction concerned. It told me that on the colony threats intel reports and also during the engagement dialogs.

So I waste them. Then I get a report "Persian expedition to.. [blah blah] ..failed: Reputation -5

WTF?

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 01:46:02 PM »

I'll squeeze in some more tips.

If you want to stay neutral or friendly with factions that send covert fleets to sabotage your exports, doing missions from the faction will help. Especially exploration missions if you know how to manage your fuel, supplies, and mission chain routes. It also has odds of finding derelict stations that carry blueprints you would like, especially the rare chance of capitals.

Remember, once heavy industry is built, upgrade to orbital works when you can. Adds more quality that your faction can benefit from and gives more breathing room on customizing your faction fleets.

Game seems to be lying to me.

A Persian "expeditionary force" just popped round to see me - complete with four troop carriers presumably stuffed with marines - apparently upset about my market share in fuel. So the game told me these dudes were operating "unofficially" and wasting them would not affect my rep with the faction concerned. It told me that on the colony threats intel reports and also during the engagement dialogs.

So I waste them. Then I get a report "Persian expedition to.. [blah blah] ..failed: Reputation -5

WTF?

That rep loss is not a bad thing, since that rep loss stems from export market jealousy. It is similar of attacking a fleet with your transponder off.

The ones that are officially operating will cause the rep to go automatically go -50 (hostile) if you have the transponder on.

DDwarrirofire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 03:07:56 PM »

I don't think that he has the Super-freighter plan, I think that he has the "crumby" Pirate one. Pirate plans are so easy to find.

Its not hard to build rep with contracts but you won't get the right contracts unless you start hanging out in those systems. i.e. To build rep with Persian League, go to the systems claimed by Persian League.

put a sniffer on their comms to make it easier to get contract specifically for them.

Gregorovitch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 02:18:03 AM »

That rep loss is not a bad thing, since that rep loss stems from export market jealousy. It is similar of attacking a fleet with your transponder off.

That may be so but it still seems like the game is lying to you plus it seems a bit rich that you get a rep hit when they launch an unprovoked attack on you.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 05:19:21 AM »

There didn't use to be a minus rep when if the expedition fails and it was tacked on later. So the description and the timing is a bit iffy.

Hudenagyon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 05:30:35 AM »

Im on my first playthrough and basically flying in dark, I built 2 colonies on decent looking planets in a system, both were size 4 when the first Luddic Path expedition fleet arrived for some sightseeing in my free ports.
Then the Persean Leauge came because of my market share in Organics. I thought to myself: the Perseans are really dicks for pestering my colony for some crates of Organics.

After a Sindrian Diktat expedition and another Persean fleet I cared to check (finally found the info panel :D ) my market share of Organics, it turns out its Top1 with 25% of global market share in the whole Sector... No surprise they are overboard about it. :D

About heavy industry: I had no idea what will happen. The text said it can build ships, and I had a pristine nanoforge so I built industry. Some Luddic terrorist groups are mooking about the extensive AI core use (basically everything has one where I could install it), but bashing their base takes care of them real good.

The rep minus is sadly there, even if my patrols or stations kill the expedition.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 09:02:18 AM »

There didn't use to be a minus rep when if the expedition fails and it was tacked on later. So the description and the timing is a bit iffy.
In part because at first, you took penalties every time you fought, but not if your NPC flunkies killed them.  Made it all the more reason to delegate as much babysitting to your followers.  Now, it is one penalty after it fails.

What is silly is if I abandon the colony, I still get the rep penalty just because they were not the ones to break my stuff.

Gregorovitch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 11:34:22 AM »

I afraid I'm losing the will to continue with the game 'cos of these continuous expedition raids and the unavoidable -5 rep hits you get for them. It's demonstrably unfair and puts you in a position of having to run to stand still since you can't really do enough jobs to counter it and drive it in the opposite direction. Running to stand still is not fun. Progress is fun.

Pirates and the Path OK, but the inevitability is you end up at full scale hostilities with these regular factions no matter what you do. If the game is designed to set up a you against the universe war then it should say so plainly IMO and it certainly shouldn't lie and tell you defeating an black op expedition fleet won't hurt your rep with a faction when it actually does.

DDwarrirofire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2020, 12:16:56 PM »

I afraid I'm losing the will to continue with the game 'cos of these continuous expedition raids and the unavoidable -5 rep hits you get for them. It's demonstrably unfair and puts you in a position of having to run to stand still since you can't really do enough jobs to counter it and drive it in the opposite direction. Running to stand still is not fun. Progress is fun.

Pirates and the Path OK, but the inevitability is you end up at full scale hostilities with these regular factions no matter what you do. If the game is designed to set up a you against the universe war then it should say so plainly IMO and it certainly shouldn't lie and tell you defeating an black op expedition fleet won't hurt your rep with a faction when it actually does.

Either we're at different stages or I'm missing something.  Granted it is harder if low but once you have a good relationship with a faction it's incredibly easy to boost it.  Donate AI cores (I had a crap load of Gamma so I got them to like me very quickly), do a trade or  (the easiest imo) complete any bounty or pirate raid assistance mission.  There is a limit to how many expeditions you can get in a certain time frame so they're spaced out enough that you can maintain  it without too much trouble once you get it down.

Otherwise, it is pretty much the normal state of the place you're in.  While I pretty much ignore them, the factions are constantly going to war and back.
Pages: [1] 2