Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who are the Remnant  (Read 2897 times)

sogriffin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Who are the Remnant
« on: February 12, 2020, 08:15:05 PM »

The subject line is pretty much my question.  Also where is the best source on lore for this game?

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
Re: Who are the Remnant
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 09:00:31 PM »

Well, when you try to communicate with them you see that they have prerecorded TriTachyon messages, so they came from TriTach trying to produce automated warships after the collapse as the Domain's regulations wouldn't bother them anymore. The origin of their rebellion however I don't know, they do refer to a certain Omega, maybe a leader to them ?
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 09:05:40 PM »

The subject line is pretty much my question.  Also where is the best source on lore for this game?

A lot of this stuff would be spoiler-content, so here, I'll put a quick explanation in a spoiler:

Spoiler

In the Sector's past there were a handful of big interstellar wars between the Hegemony and the Tri-Tachyon Corporation (and their allies). At least two of these were known as the "AI Wars" because the Corporation employed large numbers of fully autonomous war vehicles in their forces. Once the war(s) ended, the Hegemony - who were extremely against the use of automated warships (which is why AI Cores are an illegal commodity to them) - claimed that all AI warships leftover from the war had been destroyed. This, of course, ain't true: the "Remnants" are those automated warships leftover in abandoned systems in the outworlds. If you look deep you start to find some particularly nasty and dangerous forms of Remnants. Remnant vessels deliberately have a close kinship with Tri-Tachyon (high-tech) ships, both visually and mechanically, which you may notice.

[close]

The best places to find game lore are A) within the game itself, and B) development blog posts on the Starsector main website.

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 11:13:24 PM »

Aren't Remnants the big, blocky unarmored ships while the REDACTED are the scary high-tech ones? I'm confused about terminology.

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 12:39:16 AM »

No the unshielded drones are the Domain's derelict exploration and "peacekeeping" droneships. They were used to survey and terraform planets along with crushing any rebellions in systems on the fringes of their control.
The Remnants are called so because they are the remaining automated ships from the two AI wars.
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 05:29:53 AM »

They are both "redacted". I don't think redacted ever appears as an in game term, except that both types don't appear in the codex.

sogriffin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 05:42:22 AM »

Thanks everyone, a lot of good information.