Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need some help with Bounties  (Read 840 times)

sogriffin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Need some help with Bounties
« on: February 12, 2020, 07:38:05 PM »

I'm a new player and I'm struggling with bounties.  Every time I try to collect on one the target just runs away and I end up wasting supplies trying to chase them.  Do you guys have any tips on how I might catch them?  Thanks for your help.

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
Re: Need some help with Bounties
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 07:48:46 PM »

Use the go dark ability and get as close to them as possible without being detected (those ripples are the detection radius of nearby fleets) and once you get close or detected use the interdiction ability and use  E-burn to catch them (get the skill that makes E-burn cost no supplies, it's very useful).
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

sogriffin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 08:02:32 PM »

Thanks, I managed to sneak up once and I'll try that again.  This game is really good with a steep learning curve, glad I like those kind of games.  :)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 08:11:56 PM »

You can also try to optimize your own burn level - if you hover over your speed indicator and press F1, you should get a breakdown of your ships. Speeding up the slow ones, or ditching them altogether, can help you catch bounties.

In particular, if you have any civilian vessels (like a buffalo or tarsus), they tend to have 1 burn speed less than a combat ship of the same class. But they can be outfitted with the 'militarized subsystems' hullmod (available at game start) to both give +1 burn and to bring their sensor profile back in line.

BlackAdder256

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 09:20:49 PM »

I like to zoom in using sustained burn, then let them use an emergency burn to dodge. Then I just wait for them to get far enough away and sustained-burn my way after them again before the bounty's cool-down wears off. If they manage to dodge this time, I click emergency burn, knowing my target's is still on cool-down. Works every time.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 05:24:21 AM »

They will try to return to their planet, so if you go dark near their planet or near some terrain that reduces sensor detection, you can often emergency burn into them when they return. I also do what BlackAdder256 says. If you still can't catch them you can also try to build a nav buoy in a stable location if you happen to have the materials at hand. Bounties only run away if your fleet is much more powerful than them.