Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: 2nd In Command: "Handle it" should include automatically selecting ships  (Read 1461 times)

Apple_Addict

• Ensign
    • View Profile

If you're pursuing a fleet that is trying to escape (aka, you have overwhelming advantage), you have the option of letting your 2nd in command deal with the cleanup.

So why do you have to select exactly what ships you want them to send? Why not just let them auto-determine how many ships are necessary to take care of business?

The only option currently is to just click on your ships one by one.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd In Command: "Handle it" should include automatically selecting ships
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 07:28:03 PM »

Nah, selecting ships which have spare CR or non-combat ships whose CR doesn't matter (even barely armed civvie ships can do fine in autoresolve chase) is important thing for player to optimize here.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 08:02:05 PM »

Nah, selecting ships which have spare CR or non-combat ships whose CR doesn't matter (even barely armed civvie ships can do fine in autoresolve chase) is important thing for player to optimize here.
But that's the point.  We want an option for the "it literally doesn't matter" scenarios that crop up a lot where i'm already heading back to the core, everyone is pristine, and I just want them to wipe out the cargo ships or whatever.

Apple_Addict

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 10:56:21 PM »

I agree, there are some situations where you might want to specifically choose ships to mop up, to spare some CR for key ships in your fleet. But most of the time it really doesn't matter: an Auto button to try to find an efficient sub-fleet would be helpful.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 05:45:59 AM »

That supposes that there is an efficient or simple formula for finding out what the player wants. Often I find that getting all the ship needs an extremely high amount of CR spent. Do you necessarily want to chase down every ship?

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 08:04:29 AM »

If the second in command had the authority to to pick and choose any ships they desired, they'd be the first in command.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 09:22:59 AM »

When I auto-resolve, I pick the armed civilians, troop transports, and badly-armed ships I recovered from the previous fight.  I almost never use the ships that I deploy in normal combat if I can deploy the otherwise useless ships with untapped CR treasure instead.

This is why for fleet doctrine, ship priority does not matter too much, and weapon priority should be favored for battlestation use.