Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: (im)Mortal Officers  (Read 7759 times)

KCR

• Lieutenant
  • If it's not fun, why bother?
    • View Profile
(im)Mortal Officers
« on: February 12, 2020, 04:13:54 AM »

So, i've started playing this brilliant not so long ago, and become really wondered about the subject. Does Officers were immortal since the game was released, or there was some time, when they actually can be dead? Also, if i understood well, back in a day the Officer progression system was another? They (and marines?) used to have some sort of ranks? If it's what it was, then i think it was some sort of a nice thing. Imagine, like, having 1-2 veterans that you try to keep an eye on and not let them Burn Drive straight to Valhalla. Because, idk, in my current playthrough, when i'm trying to engage a battle fortress, i usually deploy about 8-10 ships with officers. And, due to battle fortress being, you know, battle fortress, sometimes it's quite difficult to manage to destroy it without having casualties. And then, imagine when you are on a big conquer mission, and you have to battle this things a lot. And you have a guy that literally survived full ship destruction like 10 times. I guess he will find what to say to his grandchildren. 

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: (im)Mortal Officers
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 05:26:24 AM »

I had a hard time trying to comprehend what you are trying to say. Officers never did die. Crew used to have experience levels but marines did not. Crew ranks were a hassle. Most poeple seemed to reload if they lost too many experienced crew. Then complain that crew experience were gained too fast. Or that buying green crew was too cheap but veteran crew was too expensive.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 05:39:01 AM »

Immortal officers is an acceptable break from reality.  I would reload the game on the spot if an officer died.  I do not want to spend hours looking for a new officer then grind him up to max level.

Unmodded game always had immortal officers.  The mod Nexerelin can add officer deaths.

KCR

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 05:48:25 AM »

Nex really allows to do this? Then, could you please tell me where i can manage such an option? Just wanna try and see is it really hard to manage Officer losses, or it's just fine and will add some depth.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 05:57:56 AM »

A few years ago, before the 0.9a releases, it was on by default (and save-scummed to undo officer deaths when I first learned of them, did not want to restart game just to change settings).  I do not know about current Nexerelin.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 07:08:46 AM »

I'm not sure if officer deaths were ever vanilla. I remember it being a Nexerelin feature, though.
Officer skills were different, because player skills were different as well. I don't remember exactly how, though. They also had levels, like they do now, without some trickery.
Marines didn't have levels before, that's a future feature. Crew used to. I liked it a lot, but it caused a lot of annoyance behind the scenes, so it was scrapped.
Nex really allows to do this? Then, could you please tell me where i can manage such an option? Just wanna try and see is it really hard to manage Officer losses, or it's just fine and will add some depth.
Open the Starsector\mods\Nexerelin\exerelin_config.json file, then search for "officerDeaths" line and change the value to true.

KCR

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 07:24:02 AM »

Open the Starsector\mods\Nexerelin\exerelin_config.json file, then search for "officerDeaths" line and change the value to true.
Thanks a lot for the answer! Going to change and see the outcomes, well, right now! Thanks!

BHunterSEAL

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 01:27:46 PM »

I really loved the crew experience mechanic and miss it dearly--it added immersion, it provided interesting but risky opportunities for making money as a 'training outfit,' and the veterancy buffs were well-implemented (if a bit strong). It can be hard to remember The Time Before Free Money, but going broke was a very real possibility with meaningful upkeep costs and no magic income from thin air--so veteran / elite crew were a kind of savings 'bank' you could cash-in (and replace with recruits) if you misjudged how much a refit or fleet addition would cost.