Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Durendal's Overpowered Nonsense 0.3 (Critique Appreciated)  (Read 32126 times)

Durendal5150

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Durendal's Overpowered Nonsense 0.3 (Critique Appreciated)
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 11:31:48 PM »

You can make them one pixel at a time, sure, but like you said that's time consuming, and the end result is going to be awful flat. I'd suggest you get yourself a copy of paint.net, since it's easy to use for beginners. (I can figure it out, even.) and learn how to do shading in layers. Which most of the time is as simple as:
-Create a new layer ontop of your ship
-get the brush tool, size 2
-pick either the main color of your ship, or a light gray. if it's the ship color, adjust the V slider in the color chooser down a little
-change the transparency slider down to something under 10
-go back and forth over where the "edges" on the ship are between parts until you've got the desired shading.

You can also play around with the gradient tool and stuff like that. And if you havn't guessed, the easiest way to do most of this stuff is to only detail one half of the ship (if it's symmetrical) then copy paste and flip that, and line it back up. That's exactly how the Diva in the OP got done.

Zilerrezko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 11:50:52 PM »

Yeah, that's what I did for my fighter, I used paint.net, but it didn't occur until after I made it that I just needed to do half of the ship. But it never hurt to much to put a lot of time into something you do and be critical about it.

Durendal5150

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 11:46:32 AM »

Two more for the new style.

I forgot to resize the big one when I was working with it initially, then just sorta shrugged and left it as is for now. It's supposed to be ridiculous anyway.

Swarm Entity->bug

Primary Deconstruction Entity->Phage

Operations Control Entity->Mother Phage (Final Boss Time Engage)

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 12:12:53 PM »

can u give an red out glow around so its more view-able and would probably would make it look even better
Pages: 1 [2]