Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Noob needs help choosing a system to colonise  (Read 1703 times)

Gregorovitch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Noob needs help choosing a system to colonise
« on: February 09, 2020, 05:06:47 AM »

I've mostly surveyed every planet in the inner ring around the core, at least provisionally. I have to say I am a bit disappointed since all the Youtube LPs I seen seem to have found much better systems than I've found and I feel I should start a new game rather than slog on against the odds with what the RNG has served up here. On the other hand as a noob I may be missing the potential of some of these systems. I'd like to know what experienced players think would be the best of these systems to consider (they are all in the inner ring between 15 and 17 LY from Corvus) and if I should abandon this and re-roll a new game

Damar system:

Eros: Terran 50% farm +2 rare ore -1 organics +1
Kepheus: Desert 125% Deciv vast ruins farm -1 ore +1 organics 0
Minnow: Barren 175% ore -1
Gas Giant: yes

Gualechis System:

Mesh: Jungle 75% vast ruins farm +1 ore 0 organics 0
Zuan: Volcanic 225% rare ore -1 ore +1
Telephasa: Volcanic 200% rare ore +3 ore 0
Asmaidas: Toxic 225% rare ore +3 ore 0
Gas Giant: no

Lempo System:

Gray Ghost: Arid 100% farm -1 ore -1 organics 0
Fenrir: Tundra 100% Farm -1 organics 0
Magon: Toxic 225% ore 0 vollatiles 0
Iravik: Rocky Metalic 200% scattered ruins rare ore +1 ore 0
Fared Kathon: Rocky Metalic 200% rare ore +1 ore 0

Clix System:

Merlin: Eccentric Terran 125% Pollution scattered ruins farm +1 ore 0 organics 0
Dargor: Rocky unstable 200% rare ore +2 ore +3
Jiao: Toxic 200% rare ore -1 ore 0
Galavar: Barren 200% ore +3
Gas giant: yes

Beta Chirra System:

Beta Chirra 2: Terrran 125% farm +1 rare ore +2 ore 0 organics +1
Beta Chirra 2: Volcanic 250%rare ore +1 ore +2
Gas giant: no

Gamma Persai System:

Gamma Persai II: Eccentric Terran 125% Farm +2 rare ore -1 ore -1 organics +1
Gamma Persai I Vocanic 200% rare ore +2 ore +3
Gamma Persai B I: Barren 200% Scattered ruins ore +2

Delta Dumir System:

Delta Dumir II: Desert 125% ore 0
Delta Dumir II B Desert 150% ore 0
Delta Dumir II A Desert 125% farm -1 rar ore -1 ore -1 organics 0
Delta Dumir I: Rocky Metalic 175% ore +3

Kigatilik System:

Suroclaire: Terran 125% scattered ruins farm +1 rare ore -1 ore 0 organics 0
Xaphasor: Irradiated 200% rare ore +3 ore +3
Sar: Volcanic 275% rare ore +1 ore +2
Loka: Volcanic 250% rare ore +2 ore +1
Indrik: Volcanic 200% rare ore +1 ore 0

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Noob needs help choosing a system to colonise
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 05:32:29 AM »

Best system be default is Duzahk. Unless it is somehow heavuly randomized and consists of huge, high grav planets only.

But if you dont like Core in general and high accessibility in particular...

Delta Dumir System.

Free Port. Megaport. Farm. Light Industry. Full military. Orbital Works if you want to.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 07:25:51 AM »

Best system be default is Duzahk. Unless it is somehow heavuly randomized and consists of huge, high grav planets only.
Duzhak only has 2 planets in it by default, and neither are particularly well suited to first colonies.
Everything else is entirely procgen, and as some folk have shown can have some stunning opportunities.
It's p. much always worth stopping by Duzahk early just to see if there's anything interesting there.

...I may be missing the potential of some of these systems.
Might be helpful to say what's on those gas giants. They're often a useful source of volatiles.

Breakdown of systems:

Damar system:
Spoiler
Eros: Terran 50% farm +2 rare ore -1 organics +1
Kepheus: Desert 125% Deciv vast ruins farm -1 ore +1 organics 0
Minnow: Barren 175% ore -1
Gas Giant: yes

Eros will grow quickly and produce a decent income with just farming and mining.
Kepheus will lag behind a bit and will have a smaller (though still useful) income via mining.
Minnow is entirely ignorable unless you want some extra industry slots.
Gas giant may or may not contain enough volatiles to support fuel production, but there isn't enough ore in this system to support a refinery in any case so you're still dependant on imports.

If you're just looking for a money farm and somewhere to store stuff, this system will serve you well.
[close]

Gualechis System:

Spoiler
Mesh: Jungle 75% vast ruins farm +1 ore 0 organics 0
Zuan: Volcanic 225% rare ore -1 ore +1
Telephasa: Volcanic 200% rare ore +3 ore 0
Asmaidas: Toxic 225% rare ore +3 ore 0

Mesh will make a decent homebase with a good income via farm + mine.
Colonising Zuan plus Telephasa give you access to enough ores to run a refinery without imports. Although neither will grow quickly so your production will be limited by your mining colony size.
Ignore Asmaidas as it's a worse version of Telephasa.
No gas giant, plus no volatiles means no native fuel production. You can still always import volatiles.

A decent money farm system, but the ores being on separate mining planets are less than ideal.
[close]

Lempo System:
Spoiler
Gray Ghost: Arid 100% farm -1 ore -1 organics 0
Fenrir: Tundra 100% Farm -1 organics 0
Magon: Toxic 225% ore 0 vollatiles 0
Iravik: Rocky Metalic 200% scattered ruins rare ore +1 ore 0
Fared Kathon: Rocky Metalic 200% rare ore +1 ore 0

Gray Ghost and Fenrir are p. much interchangable, and either would make a decent home base. With -1 food you'll need to make sure you make one your first colony and max boost growth so it's always your largest so you never have worry about food imports.
Magon is nearly useful, just not quite enough volatiles. It would still make an okay amount of money from mining exports.
None of the other planets are all that interesting.
There isn't enough ore to run a refinery so you'll need to import, and there's not enough volatiles so again, import.

Take the 2 good planets and put farm + mine + military on them, plus whatever else you feel like when they grow.
[close]

Clix System:

Spoiler
Merlin: Eccentric Terran 125% Pollution scattered ruins farm +1 ore 0 organics 0
Dargor: Rocky unstable 200% rare ore +2 ore +3
Jiao: Toxic 200% rare ore -1 ore 0
Galavar: Barren 200% ore +3

Merlin would make an okay first colony, and pull in a decent income with farm + mine. Growth will be a bit slower due to the hazard.
Dargor is an excellent mining world with enough ores to run a refinery with no skills or boosts. Mine + refinery would be a good combo here.
Jiao and Galavar are mostly ignorable.
Gas giant may oy may not contain a useful amount of volatiles.

Fairly decent system. If the gas giant has +1 volatiles or more it could be entirely self-sufficient.
[close]

Beta Chirra System:

Spoiler
Beta Chirra 2: Terrran 125% farm +1 rare ore +2 ore 0 organics +1
Beta Chirra 2: Volcanic 250%rare ore +1 ore +2

An okay Terran world. Not great hazard, but a decent spread of resources. Would make a good amount of money with just farm + mine.
The Volcanic world would make a decent mining colony. And both together would be able to run everything except fuel production due to the lack of volatiles.

With just 2 planets in the system you'll need military bases on both, so you'll need to pump that volacanic with as much growth boosting as you can so you get enough industry slots.
[close]

Gamma Persai System:

Spoiler
Gamma Persai II: Eccentric Terran 125% Farm +2 rare ore -1 ore -1 organics +1
Gamma Persai I Vocanic 200% rare ore +2 ore +3
Gamma Persai B I: Barren 200% Scattered ruins ore +2

Again, this system can do everything except fuel. The Terran E. would make a decent income on it's own.
The barren is useful due to ruins, and providing more space for industries.

Better than Beta Chirra imo.
[close]

Delta Dumir System:

Spoiler

Three low-ish hazard planets make an interesting system with lots of flexibility. IIA would need to be your first colony to make sure its the largest so the poor farm can feed everyone though.
There's enough ore to run a refinery if you colonise the rocky world, but still not enough rares. So that will have to be imported. Might be better ignoring it and just importing both tbh.
No volatiles so you'll have to import those if you want to make fuel.

This system could become a military powerhouse, if you don't care about being dependant on imports.
[close]

Kigatilik System:
Spoiler
Suroclaire: Terran 125% scattered ruins farm +1 rare ore -1 ore 0 organics 0
Xaphasor: Irradiated 200% rare ore +3 ore +3
Sar: Volcanic 275% rare ore +1 ore +2
Loka: Volcanic 250% rare ore +2 ore +1
Indrik: Volcanic 200% rare ore +1 ore 0

Suroclaire is a fair pick for a home base. Would have decent income, but slightly slowed growth.
Xaphasor is an excellent place for mining & refining.
Both would make a ton of money.
The other planets are more-or-less ignorable unless you desperately need more room for industires.
The gas giant, if it has more than +1 volatiles would give this system complete self-sufficiency.
[close]

I'd go for either Cilix or Kigatilik due to the possibility of having all resources. But honestly any of those could work for just pulling in a decent income.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 07:28:23 AM by Serenitis »

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 07:35:18 AM »

Duzhak only has 2 planets in it by default, and neither are particularly well suited to first colonies.
Everything else is entirely procgen, and as some folk have shown can have some stunning opportunities.
It's p. much always worth stopping by Duzahk early just to see if there's anything interesting there.

Need only one to run a drugs lab... Everything else needs to be in some tolerable borders to deploy the military.

Gregorovitch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 09:00:36 AM »

Duzahk has only one gas giant and one small barren I haven't bothered to survey. It didn't seem in any way viable to me.

Delta Dumir System:

Spoiler

Three low-ish hazard planets make an interesting system with lots of flexibility. IIA would need to be your first colony to make sure its the largest so the poor farm can feed everyone though.
There's enough ore to run a refinery if you colonise the rocky world, but still not enough rares. So that will have to be imported. Might be better ignoring it and just importing both tbh.
No volatiles so you'll have to import those if you want to make fuel.

This system could become a military powerhouse, if you don't care about being dependant on imports.
[close]

Thank you for that detailed answer. Incredibly helpful and my takeaway from your two top picks is that self-sufficiency is a big deciding factor.

I haven't surveyed the gas giants so far 'cos of expense, I'll go and check them out now. What sort of volatile level am I looking for for fuel production and does the fact that I have collected three of the synchron-whatchamacallit things so far make any difference?

You both mentioned this Dumir system, I am curious as to why this system could become a military powerhouse and also why self-sufficiency trumps military powerhouse.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 09:02:35 AM by Gregorovitch »

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 09:29:45 AM »

Duzahk is inside the Core. Best possible accessibility. Its a money printing machine.

Military costs money and its effectiviness depends on the population size. Several planets with managable hazard levels will grow fast enough and will not have very large upkeep for the High Commands. Resulting in the military powerhouse.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 02:11:23 PM »

Military costs money and its effectiviness depends on the population size. Several planets with managable hazard levels will grow fast enough and will not have very large upkeep for the High Commands. Resulting in the military powerhouse.
This.

The self-sufficiency thig is entirely optional, and dependant on your preferences.
I favour it because being able to meet your demand for all resources with your own mining outputs reduces the maintenance you pay on all your buildings.
You don't even have to go all-in to get this either. Any resources you can supply yourself with will give you a proportional cost reduction.
If you can supply all the resources yourself you'll get a 50% discount on colony upkeep. (Hint: You'll need a free port to achieve this.)

Having everything all in one system also greatly reduces the occurance of shortages due to lost shipments, and is significanly easier to defend as you can overlap multiple military bases even on hostile worlds as they cost so little to maintain.

The minimum levels for resources depend on what kind of skills you have access to.
If you do not have the Industrial Planning skill which provides extra outputs then you're looking for:
Food:   -1
Ore:      +2
Rare Ore:   +2
Volatiles:   +2
Organics:   0

If you do have the the skill, OR you have hired an admin who has the skill, OR you have used an alpha core as an admin, you're looking for:
Food:   -1
Ore:      +1
Rare Ore:   +1
Volatiles:   +1
Organics:   -1
Bear in mind that admins and cores can only look after 1 planet each, while you can look after several.
I think using an alpha in an industry also gives more output so you could potentially go even lower, but I don't use cores so someone else will have to confirm.

The Synchrotron can be installed in a fuel production industry, which it boosts by +3 fuel produced.
It does not affect the input requirements in any way.
Fuel production on its own makes a decent chunk of money. Adding a Synchrotron makes you noticably more.

Duzahk has only one gas giant and one small barren I haven't bothered to survey. It didn't seem in any way viable to me.
Those are the only guaranteed planets in Duzahk, and if there's nothing else there it's usually not worth bothering with.
At least not until you're far more comfortable with the game and it's mechanics.