Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fitting High-Tech Ships  (Read 4133 times)

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
Fitting High-Tech Ships
« on: February 08, 2020, 10:35:23 AM »

What are some tips for fitting high tech ships? I find that compared to the gun-heavy low tier ships I have trouble getting them to kill anything because they are so comparatively fragile and lasers either don't do hard flux or are short range and put my ships in danger.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting High-Tech Ships
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 10:38:34 AM »

Yea the thing with them is you either have to put missiles to give them an edge in fights (they're good on high tech ships since they're usually fast) or just play opportunistic and try to go in when someone is high on flux. If you have a fleet full of high tech ships the best tip I can give you is not to go crazy with beams.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 12:24:26 PM »

Beams tend to be support weapons

Non beam Energy weapons tend to be very high flux so watch out for overgunning.

Ships with better than 1 flux/damage tend to not like generating soft flux unless theyve cracked an opponents shields and high tech ships tend tohave better than 1 f/d shields. So try toget “weapon flux + shieldupkeep” under flux dissipation (PD weapons and range deliniated weapons can go higher)

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 01:24:43 PM »

I think I'll just keep it simple and stick to tactical lasers and pulse lasers and then branch off from there.

Only problem is these supposedly common weapons are quite difficult to find...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 02:06:08 PM by StarScum »

jwarper

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 02:44:22 PM »

If you are going purely high-tech you have to take a different approach. 

• Energy weapons do the same damage to shields/armor/hull so unlike ballistics, if you want good damage you have to keep adding more of the same type of energy weapon to get good damage (IE beam spam).   
  • Beams tend to favor longer ranges, but slower damage per second.  These do better on slower ships with turrets.  Non-beam energy weapons do better burst damage but are higher flux, and are good to fit on faster maneuverable ships with fixed guns. 
  • Ion and EMP weapons should play a part in any high-tech fleet build.  Disabling enemy ships and systems help maximize the time you can apply energy weapon damage. 
  • Shields go a longer way than armor.  High-tech ships have good flux pools and shield damage to flux ratios.  Maxing out Flux capacity/dissipation and optimizing shields with hullmods really increases high-tech staying power. 

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 01:01:15 AM »

Load up your Sunders with gravitons and high intensity lasers.    Max out your flux dissipation at all costs.  No enemy will DARE flicker their shields.  Then just spread out further than their shields can cover and ENJOY THE LASER CIRCUS.

KCR

• Lieutenant
  • If it's not fun, why bother?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 02:16:28 AM »

But Sunder is a midline destroyer.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 02:26:10 AM »

But Sunder is a midline destroyer.
Only thing that makes it midline is meh shields and mobility. 2 mediums and 1 large energy on a destroyer that has HEF system definitely makes it seem like high-tech.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 07:21:03 AM »

Probably better that the OP says what specific ships he want advice for fitting rather than the generalised "high tech ships". Does anybody have trouble with getting tempests, shrikes, medusas, auroras, paragons to kill anything? I don't have any trouble getting these high tech ships to kill anything. Their weapons work well enough.

Sunder is midline as it's classified as such, and as such shouldn't be part of a discussion on high tech ships but I don't particularily care either way.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 01:03:25 PM »

1. Try "Shield conversion-front". Yes, i know why omni is better and blah-blah-blah. +100% in coverage, + 100% raising speed, -50% flux upkeep. It is an "accelerated shields", "stabilized shields" and "extended shields" in one bottle for a minor OP price. Does not work on all high-tech ships, but fit many of them. Was tested on tempest, medusa, aurora, odyssey and paragon. Works.

2. Some smaller crafts does not need a "hardened shields". Why? Coefficient are multiplicative. Some hight tech ships already has good damage-to-flux ratio, so improving it won`t help a lot, while eating a lot of OP. That is mostly said for medusa, shrike and tempest. Larger ships DO need a "hardened shields".

3. You need dissipation more than capacity.

4. Beams may not be a good idea to spam everywhere. Still using them can improve survivability, especially with an "advanced optics". But that means a team work of distraction and attack crafts, solo-beams won`t kill a lot. Except of tachs and phase lance, but they are not-that-flux-efficient and can overflow yours capacitors faster than enemy fire.

5. Sometimes you do not need to install rockets at all. Most of the rockets are single use, or to weak to make a damage. As high-tech ships are designed for longtime battles (if not phase ships), their few (and small) missile mounts does not help a lot, but eats OP that could be used as extra flux dissipation or additional hullmod. Astral and shrike are exception. And phase ships of course.

6. High-tech crafts have few possibilities to mount ballistic. Try needlers to crush enemy`s shields. Energy mounts are really bad at this because of bad flux-to-damage ratio or low DPS.

7. "Larger" are not always "better". There are not so big diversity of energetic weapons. Sometimes it is better to mount small weapon on a middle-sized mount or medium-sized weapon on a large mount. Or even don`t mount anything to spare some OP for dissipation.

8. Autopulse laser, ion pulser and burst lasers of all sizes DOES get benefits from "expanded magazines". May be extremely useful on short, but devastating strikes. Useless on long sustain battles, though.

9. Of course do not forget to install ITU, solar shielding and other good stuff.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 01:53:39 PM »

If I recall hightech ships have a smaller CR timer, whatever it is called, then midline and low tech ships.

In that sense they can't be deployed for as long as those other ships can, making the idea of fitting them with missiles and antimatter blasters more appealing as they won't run out long before they need to retreat anyway.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 02:03:22 PM »

Spoiler
1. Try "Shield conversion-front". Yes, i know why omni is better and blah-blah-blah. +100% in coverage, + 100% raising speed, -50% flux upkeep. It is an "accelerated shields", "stabilized shields" and "extended shields" in one bottle for a minor OP price. Does not work on all high-tech ships, but fit many of them. Was tested on tempest, medusa, aurora, odyssey and paragon. Works.

2. Some smaller crafts does not need a "hardened shields". Why? Coefficient are multiplicative. Some hight tech ships already has good damage-to-flux ratio, so improving it won`t help a lot, while eating a lot of OP. That is mostly said for medusa, shrike and tempest. Larger ships DO need a "hardened shields".

3. You need dissipation more than capacity.

4. Beams may not be a good idea to spam everywhere. Still using them can improve survivability, especially with an "advanced optics". But that means a team work of distraction and attack crafts, solo-beams won`t kill a lot. Except of tachs and phase lance, but they are not-that-flux-efficient and can overflow yours capacitors faster than enemy fire.

5. Sometimes you do not need to install rockets at all. Most of the rockets are single use, or to weak to make a damage. As high-tech ships are designed for longtime battles (if not phase ships), their few (and small) missile mounts does not help a lot, but eats OP that could be used as extra flux dissipation or additional hullmod. Astral and shrike are exception. And phase ships of course.

6. High-tech crafts have few possibilities to mount ballistic. Try needlers to crush enemy`s shields. Energy mounts are really bad at this because of bad flux-to-damage ratio or low DPS.

7. "Larger" are not always "better". There are not so big diversity of energetic weapons. Sometimes it is better to mount small weapon on a middle-sized mount or medium-sized weapon on a large mount. Or even don`t mount anything to spare some OP for dissipation.

8. Autopulse laser, ion pulser and burst lasers of all sizes DOES get benefits from "expanded magazines". May be extremely useful on short, but devastating strikes. Useless on long sustain battles, though.

9. Of course do not forget to install ITU, solar shielding and other good stuff.
[close]

Front Shield Conversion also helps with dealing with the classic pincer attacks, especially for ships that fare better keeping their shields up more than others, i.e. Paragon.

As for dissipation over capacity, high-tech ships that do not normally fire weapons or go frontline in combat, or are phase ships are the opposite. Especially phase ships to maximize allowed phase time and outphase other phase ships. Unless that dissipation priority is for faster phase time regen in between phase cloaks, akin to a ship in a bullet hell shooter.

Beams are great at sustaining pressure and quickly punishing unshielded targets, but very weak to shields due to soft-flux. Laser shots are the ones that actually put load on shields at the expense of not being flux efficient. Plasma Cannons and the like are great, but must be used prudently, especially charge types like autopulse and ion pulsers, even with expanded mags.

ITUs are especially useful with capitals and some cruisers, but some are better off without it when they can close in and use the points somewhere else. Solar shielding is great when trying to conserve supplies in the face of environmental hazards, and when facing high-tech fleets that love energy weapons.

As a note, when it comes to combat readiness retention past peak performance, Hegemony low tech ships are best at that field, as they take the most time until peak performance when compared to ships of similar sizes. Malfunctioning ships are much easier targets, especially when lured into a kite match with limited damage, making their retreat less successful. Phase ships has the shortest in a technical sense because time goes faster with them.

If I recall hightech ships have a smaller CR timer, whatever it is called, then midline and low tech ships.

In that sense they can't be deployed for as long as those other ships can, making the idea of fitting them with missiles and antimatter blasters more appealing as they won't run out long before they need to retreat anyway.

Like what Ign said as I typed.

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 05:44:35 PM »

A note on phase ships: If you can cram in enough flux vents and put in a good officer, it is possible to have your flux dispersion end up higher than your phasing cost, which means that not only can you phase out indefinitely but actually continue to drop flux while phased.  Now fit yourself with some long-range alpha strike type weapons and you've basically got a Romulan warbird, able to appear, unleash a firestorm in a hurry, then fade back out while your weapons recharge and your flux goes back down to almost zero.  In the right hands such a ship is pure terror on the enemy.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 08:08:50 PM »

A note on phase ships: If you can cram in enough flux vents and put in a good officer, it is possible to have your flux dispersion end up higher than your phasing cost, which means that not only can you phase out indefinitely but actually continue to drop flux while phased.  Now fit yourself with some long-range alpha strike type weapons and you've basically got a Romulan warbird, able to appear, unleash a firestorm in a hurry, then fade back out while your weapons recharge and your flux goes back down to almost zero.  In the right hands such a ship is pure terror on the enemy.

Are you sure about this? Being in phase should build up hard flux, and hard flux cannot be vented while phased.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2020, 08:12:18 PM »

Maybe with the 10% had flux dissipation skill and a bunch of vents you could do it? I've never tried.
Pages: [1] 2 3