Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: this game has ruined mechwarrior for me  (Read 2671 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
this game has ruined mechwarrior for me
« on: February 07, 2020, 05:03:39 PM »

I tried the new MW game & boy. It's like playing SS but without most of the QOL features.
My shipmech dies and the mission is over?? My squadmate's mechs turns out to be way more important for the fight than mine and I have to just... watch... the AI play the game against itself because I can't bodyjump into his mech & assume direct control. There's one weapon that can fit into each weapon-type slot and the only choice given to me is how big/small the caliber is and it isn't even a choice bc there's an unambiguous superior choice? And on top of that the loadout for each mech is essentially already chosen for you by the mech's statistics but the game expects you to pretend that there's a choice to make anyway, to the point that replacing broken guns in between fights has to be done manually every time even tho as already established there's no choice involved in it, you literally just do what the wikipedia article for that mech from forty years ago says is the only thing you're allowed to do? The UI is so hostile to non-fans that the salvage screen after battle doesn't name the mechs available for loot but lists their serial numbers with no further information so you have to google it every battle??!

Just give Battletech to Alex already.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: this game has ruined mechwarrior for me
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 07:09:59 PM »

Mechsarrior 5 is great and i really love the structure of how you can fit out mechs.

Also i find myself being able to make some fairly varied mechs between toying with armor values and weapon sizes and almost never end up with the sarna fits

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 11:56:43 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 03:48:42 AM »

This game has ruined me for nearly every game. I almost expect devs of other games to interact with their community and be excited (real excitement, not the phony press release type) for new features and changes.

Assuming direct control is a great feature, I completely agree.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 03:50:35 AM by Locklave »

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 05:02:04 PM »

You also need to try this one:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/214730/Space_Rangers_HD_A_War_Apart/

idk what it is about the space rangers series but the art makes me wish I was dead every time I see it. It's like the default clip art that came with the powerpoint program on Windows XP. If every time I wound up looking at that mid-90's CGI clay-mation art style I instead caught spanish influenza so severely that I instantly went blind I would genuinely live a better life
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 06:36:21 PM »

Excuse me, what art are u talking about?

I just wanna say that the idea of Starsector is close to Space Rangers. SS has living economy and way better build customisation (and yes, i v got interested in SS, because i love Mechwarrior). Rangers have, well... awesome text quests and a sort of ending point? Also, autopilot there knows how to avoid stars :|
Spoiler
[close]

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 07:30:10 AM »

Mechsarrior 5 is great and i really love the structure of how you can fit out mechs.

Is it though? Played MW 4 to death, but MW 5 seems to be so much less. Including less freedom in mech outfitting.

FinalTwist

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 09:41:02 AM »

Avorion is like SS but in 3d... ive never played it but it also has great customisation of ships supposedly.  I run SS on a laptop with integrated graphics so SS is fine for me.. if i had a 3d card id check out avorion

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 02:22:14 PM »

To be honest Avorion is more of a vehicle building game compared to SS
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 03:13:46 AM »

I still occasionally fire up Wolfman-X's version of MechCommander 2, which I contributed a little source to at one point. 

I think MechCommander 2 is kind of... meh code under the hood (if you weren't aware, the source for it is available for free) and relies on a magical 32-bit DLL that no source is available for (heck, the company that made it is long-dead as well, so probably nobody on Earth has the source).  I at one point looked at the 32-bit-to-64-bit wrappers for that problem, as one of the biggest problems with MW2 is that it's shockingly memory-starved, but frankly, it looked like too much work for something I would just give away, lol.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 03:18:44 AM by xenoargh »
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack