Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Painting The Stars  (Read 10627 times)

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Painting The Stars
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2020, 06:54:05 AM »

Alright *cracks knuckles* let's try to do an Alex-style wall-of-text mass response.

That's cool af, I love it.
The art of this game is realy unique, it's perfect for the whole sci-fi style of the game.

Continue the good work !!

Thank you, will do!

Hmm, the second image at the end, is that angle from in the middle part of the object?

Yup!

When i bought this game quite awhile ago, i was in for a game such as this. Heck some parts i was in for even though i didn't even know there was something in to like.
First game that truly made me appreciate artistic talent and devotion to the degree it deserves. Sure we all like the glittery shader candy we get, but there just isn't anything that is computer generated that truly comes close to true creation of art.

Wow, thank you!
Though I do appreciate what it takes to do shaders well. I think the trouble in larger productions is that artists, although skilled and excited, are given few opportunities to truly channel their love of art through their work. When I was art directing, I always got the best work from artists when they loved what they were doing; it was amazing. I think what's exceptional here is the trust and freedom Alex gives me.

On behalf of Tri-Tachyon corporation PR department, I request you stop with these witty remarks. Associating ourselves with Adobe Inc. is highly undesirable and working against the image of our enterprise. Have a nice day.

(Even Tri-Tachyon has standards 'eh!)

Very nice and very pretty.

Important question, can I turn it around and blast ships with it?

Thank you. To answer your second question, [COMSEC REDACTED]

This is great! Regarding the last illustrations, I get why the 1st is not being used. However, it is gorgeous. I would love for their to eventually be a little gallery of the concept art that doesn't make the cut. Maybe part of a collectors edition after sales hit 1 million?

Welllllll ... my graveyard of sketches isn't all that much to look at because they're intrinsically unpolished. We'll just have to see what happens when Starsector hits 1.0.

The earth is metric (and flat), so it receives about 1000watts per square meter ...

^ This guy wants to bump up the Kardashev scale.

What is the second device? A giant tachyon lance?

Like I said, it's [COMSEC REDACTED]

Yep, that all looks completely safe and wholly unremarkable. Safe as houses. Nothing could possibly go wrong with any of these mysterious mega-devices.

(Really cool to hear about brushes and settings, also. One fo the last things I need to do is get comfortable painting again so I can do my own illustrations for a few things.)

Correct.

Yes, do it! I love seeing original art that expands on Starsector, it's always a delight to see what people come up with that I could never think of.

Jovus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2020, 06:11:18 PM »

I know nearly nothing about nearly any artistic endeavour from a practical perspective. Seeing your thoughts through the blog post has been fascinating and enlightening, and I thank you for it.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2020, 09:13:47 AM »

I just want to voice some extra appreciation for that last image, as I got literal chills. The tiny ship in amongst the structure really gave it a sense of holy crap this thing is unimaginably huge and powerful

Argonaut

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2020, 03:10:34 PM »

Option 1 was infinitely superior. Showing something i haven't seen? I haven't seen the close by either... I can't even tell what the option 2 is trying to depict, so it's just meaningless greble.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2020, 09:00:08 PM »

You will have seen it because you will see the sprite as you approach before you see the painted image.

I am still porque no las dos but you definitely will have seen the first angle before you see the second

Fire turtle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2020, 01:35:19 AM »

This is so exciting, I can't wait! ;D
By the way, can players build these space buildings?

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2020, 10:10:55 AM »

I also couldn't tell what option 2 is trying to depict either. I guess it is from within inside the structure looking outwards, with the needle end pointing towards the star so the viewpoint is inside the flat end, but that begs the question of why you are inside of it.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2020, 11:38:09 AM »

I also couldn't tell what option 2 is trying to depict either. I guess it is from within inside the structure looking outwards, with the needle end pointing towards the star so the viewpoint is inside the flat end, but that begs the question of why you are inside of it.

Indeed.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2020, 09:49:49 PM »

Option 2 is great.

Though I feel like something is missing in the foreground to "ground" the viewer in the scene. Maybe like a crew/scientist standing on a platform at the bottom corner doing stuff? Or perhaps this is a view from inside a shuttle or a viewing port?

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2020, 04:38:22 AM »

Though I feel like something is missing in the foreground to "ground" the viewer in the scene. Maybe like a crew/scientist standing on a platform at the bottom corner doing stuff? Or perhaps this is a view from inside a shuttle or a viewing port?

And is the ship in the structure or in the distance?

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2020, 11:01:25 AM »

*portable star*

You are non. The pod of Juffo-Wup is not for you.

Lizzie

• Ensign
  • Don't ask me about paragons or onslaughts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2020, 01:55:29 PM »

Have you tried GIMP at all? It has a lot of the same functionality as photoshop without being tied to adobe's weird subscription thing. I was able to switch over fairly easily myself.
Pages: 1 [2]