Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dreadnought Athena (please delete me.)  (Read 13165 times)

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Dreadnought Athena 0.4
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 04:57:53 PM »

Super cool!

Nikopol

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 03:47:19 AM »

I like this ship, but it has super tiny engines for it's size. But overall the ship design and cleanliness is very good.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2019, 08:00:01 PM »

Any plans on resurrecting this for 9.1?  I could stand to die to something this big...

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2019, 11:17:08 PM »

I believe that Vayra is appropriating this ship for his own faction. Coming... Eventually.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2019, 03:10:23 AM »

DREADNOUGHT ATHENA 0.4+

Spoiler
[close]

*sees retro-thrusters*

FINALLY someone who thinks of ship movement and design!

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2019, 11:05:25 AM »

Titan vessels...such a bounty of lore that should follow one.

Let's see:

This splendid leviathan was the first, and last, lead ship for the Persean League Navy's proposed intergalactic colony expedition.  A single hyper-wealthy donor poured his entire dynastic family fortune into this single ship with the stated purpose of ensuring that his organic body (in cryo) would arrive in the next galaxy intact.  Her reactor core features a single cryo couch buried within a 10 meter cube of battle steel.

The idea was to field an unstoppable mobile base that could fund itself while the rest of the expedition was being built.  Unfortunately, new hostilities broke out before the security on the project could be upgraded, and the Hegemony acquired a basic schematic of the design.  The Hegemony baited the Athena task group into committing to extended range, fruitless deployments long enough for the operating and personnel costs to force the ship to be idled.

The choice of where the ship was idled, and who made that decision, is a source of endless discussion.  Less then two days after the ship arrived in orbit of the inactive gate...the ship then disappeared, likely through the gate.  How the gate was reactivated, and only once, is unknown.

Indeed the location of the ship itself, is currently unknown.  Why exactly someone would go through the trouble of acquiring a single vessel capable of standing off a Grand Fleet of Syndria, then do precisely nothing with it, is also unknown.  Coincidentally, the hyper-wealthy donor also disappeared at around the same time period.

Fleet planners generally consider the possibility of a reappearance of the Athena to be outside the realm of realistic planning.  The public at large, and especially military science fiction literature, see the Athena as the the mystical ghost ship of fate.  The Sword Excalibur waiting to be discovered and used to solve The Big Problem with titanic, overmastering salvos.

sylva

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Dreadnought Athena
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 12:56:08 PM »

Final(?) sprite.

I just need to paint some weapons and it's preferably good to (shoottopieces) go.

@eidolad:

This ship's lore will be tied to my factions lore. so the current description is just a crumb and just for the bounty. :P

@Nick XR:

Yup ^^.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 01:04:15 PM by sylva »

Oblivion

• Ensign
  • Breaking careful game balance since 1999.
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Dreadnought Athena (Bounty.)
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2019, 07:31:43 PM »

Oh wow, that’s a big improvement from the last one. So much that I’m now eagerly awaiting the download link.  :D
<Nada>

callitri

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Dreadnought Athena (Bounty.)
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2020, 12:11:39 AM »

Hi there

Any chance this gets updated to current version? I really like the design specially the seccond one. Really miss having big super capital ships in the game .
Pages: 1 [2]