Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Polaris Prime v0.25 EN Edition  (Read 146231 times)

NightfallGemini

• Commander
    • View Profile

The onedrive link isn't working properly, says the file doesn't exist anymore and even asked for a login due to 'sensitive info' (???).

E: Ah, now it works. :3
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 09:47:35 AM by NightfallGemini »

hemlocksGM

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Howdy,

I think I found an incompatibility between Commissioned Crews and Polaris which results in a crash to desktop; I'm a little out of my depth with understanding the details but I will describe the crash as best I can.

For whatever reason, whenever I access the fleet or refit tab while docked at a market I experience a crash to desktop (Fatal: null).
I've confirmed that this crash occurs at multiple markets belonging to multiple factions, and confirmed that the crash does not occur when accessing the same tabs floating in space, and have manged to recreate the crash consistently (it happens every time, no exceptions thus far).
My modlist at current is sparse specifically for testing purposes:
Nerlexin
LazyLib
GraphicsLib
MagicLib
Polaris Prime
Commisioned Crews

I've confirmed that the CTD does not occur when I disable commissioned crews, and I've since re downloaded each mod and tried again to ensure it wasn't because something was out of date; the crash still occurs.

Looking through starsector.log this is the excerpt I think is responsible for the crash (I could be wrong, not really sure what I'm looking for).

''
32303 [Thread-4] WARN  com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader  - Error figuring out MIRV spec details
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.SpecStore.ÒO0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.ResourceLoaderState.init(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
''

I'm departing for work in a bit, but please let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Ced Riggs

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Can confirm the above as happening on my end, too. Currently ComCrews and Polaris do not work together. Sad times.

Iriscoral

• Lieutenant
  • Defiance against the violent enigma
    • View Profile

Emergency Update: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AioUjxIJ8CxDvD4n0YuLTYjF8NuM?e=6KQlhg

If you are curious, there were a bunch of syntax errors in the CCrew hullmod for Polaris that kept causing them to crash. I've gone and fixed them.

Translator and (wannabe) game dev.
Currently curates the CN mod repo.

Mods maintained:
Polaris
ICE
FSF
Traverser

MagicKarpson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Polaris Prime v0.24 (RC-2) EN Edition - Post-Tournament Overhaul
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2021, 07:02:45 PM »

What does immersion training do?

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2021, 09:40:30 AM »

It seems the download link is down.

Myrkin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2021, 12:47:44 PM »

Yep, download link is down :(

Amerin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2021, 11:55:28 AM »

Please udpate download link  :'(

Sundivingdownloader

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Polaris Prime v0.24 (RC-1) EN Edition - Post-Tournament Overhaul
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2021, 12:45:27 AM »

Emergency Update: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AioUjxIJ8CxDvD4n0YuLTYjF8NuM?e=6KQlhg

If you are curious, there were a bunch of syntax errors in the CCrew hullmod for Polaris that kept causing them to crash. I've gone and fixed them.

Your emergency update needs an emergency update.  Please update the emergency update - this is an emergency!  Update... emergency... possibilities exhausted...ellipsis.

Lokoth

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Mod link is back online, for those wondering. The mod author has been warned of the situation.

Iriscoral

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Download link fixed.

EDIT: wow ninja

Mods maintained:
Polaris
ICE
FSF
Traverser

Cane

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I've been testing this mod in my current playthrough. Overall it's a beautiful mod, and some of the Polaris ships are absolutely gorgeous. The Celestial Object Scholar is an absolute standout.

So I went to test it, and I was fairly underwhelmed. I couldn't really find a build I was happy with, and I'm usually very good at this sort of thing. Has anyone found a good build for this that I've missed?

tl;dr: It's too slow to be a Battlecarrier, its burn drive of 7 is too low for a 20-OP cruiser, it doesn't quite have enough OP to go around.

Also the Subobject Bombers don't work at all--seem bugged.

I saw the large missile slot and 2x medium energy turrets and I thought, Safety Overrides. Let's have some fun. It's not really meant to be a Battlecarrier, but I've been able to use a lot of ships that way through clever loadout selection and I don't see another way to make use of those medium energy slots. Fill those with a medium-range high-DPS weapon, and the missile slot with either Sabots or a finisher, add Integrated Targeting Unit, and... there's not much OP left to work with.

For a build like this you want capacitors and vents, and then you can't really place anything in the fighter bays. I tried the 0-OP Subobject Bombers, which the info box claims is what the ship uses anyway. Except they don't do anything. The Subobject Bombers literally don't do anything. They just kind of hover near your ship without ever launching their torpedoes. Seems to be a bug.

So, okay, there aren't a lot of good 0 OP wings to choose from. I went with a few modded drones, but they didn't add much. I fought a few 20+ OP ships, and I spent a lot of time managing my flux in a way that I never have to do in other overdriven cruisers. It's too slow to flank properly, so it's always in the line of fire, and it doesn't have the capacitors to stay there. Strike Drone also costs a lot of flux to use and has a long cooldown, and I found myself either wishing they were off cooldown or being unable to use them at all because I couldn't quickly disengage to a safe distance.

As a final hurrah, I tried going with 3x Wasps to draw some more attention, but that's still 15 OP spent and now your max capacitors is 19. A few basic 25-OP cruisers in the simulator instantly overloaded me, so I went back to the refit screen, realized I hadn't even added PD to my ship yet, and gave up.

So I went for the fallback: Build it like a Mora or a Heron. Longbow + Trident + Trident, or Longbow + Scoralis + Scoralis if using Tahlan Shipworks. Add a Pilum or a finisher missile of some kind, add Expanded Deck Crew, Nav Relay, maybe Expanded Missile Racks if using something like Tornadoes. I also added a pair of Tac Lasers, but they didn't really get used much. Well, now it feels like a prettier Mora, and the AI actually wants to attack. Which is a benefit if your fleet is winning, and a problem otherwise. The Mora or the Heron are happy to stay in the back ranks, and assault from a much safer spot. The C.O.S. wants more DPS, and wants to get in range to use any lasers you give it. So, if it gets flanked by a cruiser, it's just dead, meaning you need to babysit it a fair bit more.

The next problem is that the Striker Drone active is not very effective against the kinds of fast cruisers you're likely to be up against in the early game, and it usually often misses. The AI is also not very good at using them, opting to send them in first rather than trying to hit the shields with Longbows first.

As for its competitors? Well, it's slower than the Heron--45 vs 80. The Mora is just as slow, but that ship has two missile slots. I think the Strike Drone is supposed to make up for a lot of that, but again, it's fairly ineffective against destroyers and rather uneven against fast cruisers.

So you give it a high-OP missile system to compensate, drop the missile racks and up the capacitors a bit, and even though it's mediocre, you convince yourself to keep the C.O.S. anyway because it's so pretty. And then you notice that your whole fleet is now much slower.

Wait. 7 burn drive? The thing has a top speed of 7? For a 20-OP cruiser hull? What in the world? Every single equivalent--the Mora, the Heron, the Eos from Ship and Weapon Pack, hell, every single Cruiser-sized Battlecarrier, everything has 8 or more.

So now you need Augmented Drive Field, because you're still in the early midgame where fielding 20 OP cruisers is useful, but your speed--the one good thing about early-game fleets--is gimped by this one ship. Now you have to drop Expanded Missile Racks, and drop the Capacitors by an additional 5, and if you're trying to run Longbow + Trident + Trident? Better drop Nav Relay, too.

I can appreciate a 20-OP ship not being better than a Heron because I do love that bird, but the C.O.S. doesn't quite work, design-wise, as a competitor. Here's the best build I was able to come up with, and I always wonder if I should bring a pair of Herons instead and enjoy that extra bit of Nav Relay.

Spoiler
[close]

God, is it ever pretty though.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 02:29:08 PM by Cane »

Kurtdovah

• Ensign
    • View Profile

What's up with this mod? I hope it will be upgrade for the actual version of Starsector because this mod was a main mod in my game :/

Iriscoral

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Polaris Prime v0.25 EN Edition
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2022, 06:01:00 PM »

New Update.

Download v0.25 for 0.9.5a

Changes
Weapons:
Interferometer Series
Polar/Magnatar Series Missiles
Crystal Culverin

Hullmods:
Polaris Node Lock

Others:
Support for UNGP
Various Balances and Changes
Akademia updates for new Skill System
[close]

Mods maintained:
Polaris
ICE
FSF
Traverser

Acronen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Polaris Prime v0.25 EN Edition
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2022, 07:47:10 PM »

New Update.

Download v0.25 for 0.9.5a

Changes
Weapons:
Interferometer Series
Polar/Magnatar Series Missiles
Crystal Culverin

Hullmods:
Polaris Node Lock

Others:
Support for UNGP
Various Balances and Changes
Akademia updates for new Skill System
[close]
Yay! I really, really like this mod. Glad to see it has been updated. Thank you!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5