Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Sharp drop in game performance and save failure  (Read 985 times)

MadJackMcJack

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Sharp drop in game performance and save failure
« on: January 27, 2020, 12:23:00 PM »

So I'm currently running a modded game, got to cycle 228 and the game's performance, which up to that point had been flawless with 4GB RAM allocated to the game, just went to hell. FPS jumping around between 20 and 50 and trying to save keeps bringing up different error messages (the only ones I remember are null and java stack overflow). I reinstalled Starsector and all of the mods, didn't work. Only other change is that I updated Java on my computer, so I dunno if that's the culprit.

I don't have an error log from a failed save since they were all deleted by the reinstall, but my current log has this info at the top:

0    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Starting Starsector 0.9.1a-RC8 launcher
1    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Running in D:\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core
1    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - OS: Windows 7 6.1
1    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Java version: 1.7.0_79 (64-bit)

And there's a few error messages in the log:

8450 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader  - Weapon spec [tahlan_nibelung_n_cover_r] not found in weapon_data.csv
8450 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader  - Weapon spec [tahlan_nibelung_n_cover_l] not found in weapon_data.csv
8450 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader  - Weapon spec [vayra_mrm_fighter] not found in weapon_data.csv
8450 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader  - Weapon spec [MSS_big_rotary] not found in weapon_data.csv
8450 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader  - Weapon spec [MSS_Gandiva_S] not found in weapon_data.csv
8450 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader  - Weapon spec [radgun] not found in weapon_data.csv
8450 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader  - Weapon spec [drill] not found in weapon_data.csv
8452 [Thread-4] WARN  com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader  - Error figuring out MIRV spec details

My mod list is as follows:

Anvil Industries 0.8.1
Arsenal Expansion 1.5.3i
Better Colonies 1.4
Boggled Terraforming 3.0.1
Combat Chatter 1.9.2d
Common Radar 2.5
Diable Avionics 2.04
Disassemble Reassemble 1.6.9
Extraential Lanestate Union 0.6.1a
Fuel Siphoning 1.1.2
Gates Awakened 2.0.3
Hazard Mining Incorporated 0.2.2e
Kadur Remnant 3.1.0
Lazylib 2.4e
Logistics Notifications 1.3
Luddic Enhancement 1.2.0
Magiclib 0.28
Mayasuran Navy 8.2.8
Missing Ships 0.4
Nexerelin 0.9.5h
Outer Rim Alliance 0.87
Scy Nation 1.58
SkilledUp 1.1
Starship Legends 1.3.14
Stop Gap Measures 1.0.0
Supply Forging 1.1
Tahlan Shipworks 0.3.13
Vayra's Sector 3.1.2
Vayra's Ship pack 1.1.3
Vesperon Combine 1.2.0

Any questions, or if you want me to get a log with a failed save on it, just ask, and thanks in advance.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Sharp drop in game performance and save failure
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 05:33:23 PM »

Is it only on save that you have crashes, or does it crash in campaign? The end of a log with a failed save (with the error stack) would be helpful in tracking down which mod is causing the crash.

FPS jumping that much and a stack overflow on saving might indicate your game running out of memory - that much is almost always enough and your mod list isn't that long so its surprising, but you could try allocating more. Some (or many) of the mods might have memory leaks that build up over time, which might explain why it took a while to manifest.

kemptastic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 11:03:51 PM »

Im using a similar mod list, I have most of the same weapon errors as you do, and I havent had crashing/save problems since I allocated 4GB, however I'm about the same number of cycles into the game as you and things are taking a hella massive performance hit. I have a strong feeling it has to do with the large number of fleets being spawned by Nexelerin and all the invasions and what not going on, but more specifically, the Debris Fields.

I've noticed that because I keep defending stations, which will take place in multiple battles with the insane number of ships that were being sent, generating massive debris fields that yield thousands of supply. I feel like they may be linked since the game seems to keep track of everything that died to make each debris field, to keep generating rolls off it, since it seems actually salvaging from them, makes the performance issues worse.

Also playing into this notion of mine is the fact that these mods are adding ship hulls, weapons, LPCs and hullmods to the data that needs to be stored for debris fields.

Performance seems to pick up some when I let time ride out without generating much more debris myself, which I assume is from the fields dispersing.

This is all speculation and could be coincidental, or only partly related, but my mod list is on the shorter side than many I've seen here and the hits I'm taking in performance are crazy, but they clear up when I reload the same save that was chugging prior.

MadJackMcJack

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 03:54:47 PM »

Is it only on save that you have crashes, or does it crash in campaign? The end of a log with a failed save (with the error stack) would be helpful in tracking down which mod is causing the crash.

FPS jumping that much and a stack overflow on saving might indicate your game running out of memory - that much is almost always enough and your mod list isn't that long so its surprising, but you could try allocating more. Some (or many) of the mods might have memory leaks that build up over time, which might explain why it took a while to manifest.

Sorry for the late reply, things have been busy. Here's the end of my last null error, everything after the failed save game error:

https://pastebin.com/7Ey0NN8u

I tried allocating 6GB RAM and nothing changed. The game has never actually crashed, it just lags and doesn't save. Anyway, if you can work it out, awesome, but don't break a sweat on my account, I've pretty much written off the save anyway.