Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Custom building your own patrol fleets.  (Read 1351 times)

Panpiper

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Custom building your own patrol fleets.
« on: January 20, 2020, 05:08:23 PM »

So I've arrived at that point where my pilot officers are maxed out, flying the best possible (to my newb mind) cruisers and it takes a bit of the steam out of continuing to fly about and get in yet more fights, it gains you little without the officer's improvement through experience. What I would really like to be able to do, is to custom outfit a patrol fleet of choice ships, ideally the tweaked to the max ships they are currently flying, and hand off my maxed out officers to that fleet. That new fleet would serve as a system patrol fleet for a colony system keeping it relatively free of pirates et al, freeing me to do a bit more universe exploring. Moreover, that would give me the opportunity to tweak out a whole new fleet and a brand new crop of green officers.

I'm still very much a newb at this game, but I don't think anything like that is possible at the moment. There appears to be a way to build ships, I am not sure how or if that interfaces with the random patrol fleets your system generates. However none of that does what I would like. I don't want to tweak a few parameters to generate semi-random fleets commanded by random sub-par officers that will inevitably get squashed by serious opponents. Moreover that current function does not serve to allow me to clear house of my existing maxed officers to train up new ones. Simply discarding the existing ones and discarding or mothballing my existing ships is not a solution either. If that is my option, I'm better off just not playing.

Is anything like what I described possible in the existing game? Is there a mod that would allow this? Is this something even that 'could' hypothetically be modded into the game?

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Custom building your own patrol fleets.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 11:51:42 PM »

At the moment your officers are exclusively for your own fleet.  You can dismiss them and find new ones if their skills are no longer to your liking but currently that's their purpose.  As for building ships, you'll have to settle your own colony first and build heavy industry...AFTER you've found some sets of blueprints to build.  Also bring lots of cash.

It WOULD be interesting to be able to assign them to a patrol HQ or the like though.  Perhaps when the skill rework hits there might be other ways to utilize them...as for modding?  Well with enough patience, ingenuity and improvisational skills I suppose almost anything is possible...