Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Do you care about storms?  (Read 2333 times)

Sharmanti

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Do you care about storms?
« on: January 22, 2020, 11:02:50 AM »

I find that storms don’t really impact me much, and the extra movement is nice. Sure I could go around them, but that would also drain more supplies.

What do you do? Just fly through them like me? Or do you disable burn to navigate around them?

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Do you care about storms?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 11:08:25 AM »

You'll always feel the impact of a storm, but that impact scales with the growth of your fleet. There is a talent that will globally reduce the impact 50%, and a hull mod that will further reduce the strike against a ship by 75%.

With a small early game destroyer fleet, you won't really feel the hurt. The typical storm hit may cost around 10-20 supplies or so. Don't fly anywhere with low supplies and you'll be fine. With a late game fleet, the impact is much more severe. I've seen hits around 50-60 supplies, and that's with the 50% talent. Tiny ships will get nuked to 0% with a single strike, giving a form of overall damage cap.

I don't know exactly how the fleet damage scales, but expect to pay somewhere around a week or two worth of fleet upkeep per hit. It will certainly cost fewer supplies to travel a longer way around a storm, but the fuel expense is a different story.

Sharmanti

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 11:16:10 AM »

Interesting. I found the complete opposite. Sure it can do more damage lategame, but it’s also more negliable. Early game I try not to waste, but when I have 1500+ supplies I kust stop caring about that little bit extra.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 11:30:59 AM »

Early game: "Oh no! A storm! Need to avoid it!"

Late game: "Oh yes! A storm! Engine room, more power!"

Chronosfear

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 12:03:47 PM »

Early game: "Oh no! A storm! Need to avoid it!"

For me it is the other way. I prefer to avoid storms in lategame (but that ist mostly that i dont use thate 75% hulllmod and would hit me to hard on the supply costs)
Also I think with a bigger fleet if the storm hits me from a bad angle I am more of course than i would like to be which would add more fuel and supply cost to get to where I want
Still depends: If I need to get somewhere fast I use them.
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

My words are backed with nuclear weapons
Gandhi (Civ)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 12:50:59 PM »

This is me for nearly the entire game.  Occasionally, I may avoid storms if I am short on supplies, but otherwise, I deliberately aim for storms to get burn 30.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 12:54:20 PM »

If I'm short on supplies, a bit. The longer the distance I have to travel, the more likely I'm to just alt-tab out for the journey. The exceptions are mostly bounty trips, because storms decimate CR and I don't want to wait half a minute, before I can finally engage the bounty.
The most annoying things about storms is that it feels that big fleets are affected by them more than small fleets, not less, against all intuition.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 07:57:24 AM »

It depends entirely on the size of the storm cloud and even more on what I currently value more - speed or efficiency. If I have time and would rather save supplies, I avoid the storms (mostly) - that costs more fuel and is slower, but ultimately costs less supplies. If I need to go fast for a quest deadline, or I haven't got fuel to spare, I use the storms to gain speed and get the most fuel efficient course (a straight line) at the cost of supplies.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 09:09:34 AM »

I'm the kind of guy that avoids storms. Basically because I avoid flying through nebulae when I''m going through deep space. If I'm plotting a course 20lr away, I always turn the starscape off on the map screen to fly though clear ether.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 10:18:57 AM »

On my first run i tried to play as scavenger, so i decided to put some points in yellow skill line. Faster repairs make a huge difference. On my next run without faster repairs i mentioned that storms do something... Somethingbad sometimes...
Spoiler
[close]

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 10:20:55 AM »

*chanting* storm rights storm rights
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059