Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Graphical update  (Read 11602 times)

CaptanSpudsy

• Lieutenant
  • Meanwhile, in Spudland.....
    • View Profile
Re: Graphical update
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 05:42:27 PM »

The only complaint I have at the moment is the background. Of course, since it's space, there isn't going to be a huge change even if you move a few light-years, but the current one is a little bland, I feel.

More nebulae, please.

I have to agree with you here, though, the combat backgrounds are very nice and varied. The campaign's backgrounds do get quite boring to look at for extended periods of time.
Mjolnir Cannons and Hepatitis in the large slots.

Micromanagment

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2012, 04:15:22 PM »

I am not asking for Alex to change the graphical style, just to add a bit more when zoomed in. I myself am not a game developer, so I can not decide whether or not this is possible, or even if it is worth the time and effort. All I can say is that Alex and his team have been doing a great job with the game so far, and if it is possible to add a graphical update, I would be thankful.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2012, 07:15:27 PM »

It'd suck up resources, look worse when zoomed out, and flaws in the ship designs would be a lot more obvious zoomed in. More work, and the modders who make custom sprites would be sort of screwed.
Also, graphical 'update' seems to imply that you're working with a really old game here that's out of date, not purposefully designed to be this way. That's sort of insulting.  :(

Kaitol

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2012, 08:44:04 PM »

All the guy said was when you zoom in, the sprites lose a little quality. Then asked if it were possible to fix. Yet some of you are acting like he insulted your mothers, when you didn't even properly understand what he was saying. I've noticed this slight dip as well, because I zoom in really close a lot to increase my fps in really big battles. Now I know this probably isn't an issue that can be fixed, hence why I never suggested, buts it's no reason to get up in arms.

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 04:23:09 AM »

All the guy said was when you zoom in, the sprites lose a little quality. Then asked if it were possible to fix. Yet some of you are acting like he insulted your mothers, when you didn't even properly understand what he was saying. I've noticed this slight dip as well, because I zoom in really close a lot to increase my fps in really big battles. Now I know this probably isn't an issue that can be fixed, hence why I never suggested, buts it's no reason to get up in arms.

I suspect that's because his/her initial post came out all entitled, whinny and made a 'recommendation' that doesn't fit the meaning of the word in any form.

It's like saying to an artist "Not bad, but your painting doesn't make me feel majestic. Go do something about it". What part of the original don't you like? What quality do you consider to be majestic? What do you recommend Alex should do to achieve that goal?

The original post offered no constructive criticism and contained the same amount of information as a baby's "WAAAAA!"

C-Station

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 09:10:19 AM »

I had no idea this game used sprites until someone told me. The graphics looked realistic to me, it must be I never look that close to the detail. Or it could be because I'm about 12 feet from the screen.

Kaitol

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 03:32:06 PM »

I suspect that's because his/her initial post came out all entitled, whinny and made a 'recommendation' that doesn't fit the meaning of the word in any form.

It's like saying to an artist "Not bad, but your painting doesn't make me feel majestic. Go do something about it". What part of the original don't you like? What quality do you consider to be majestic? What do you recommend Alex should do to achieve that goal?

The original post offered no constructive criticism and contained the same amount of information as a baby's "WAAAAA!"

I admit, he could have worded his post better, and as it is it is sort of misleading what he's saying. I wouldn't have even known what he was talking about if I didn't zoom way in often and have my face close to my screen. However, no one suggesting something for a game is ever acting entitled. When you have some free time, I suggest you watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAM1g6uU-eg&feature=g-user-u

Hopefully it will help enlighten your viewpoint.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 03:34:10 PM by Kaitol »

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 03:35:06 PM »

I don't like that word 'entitled'. I was the first to criticize the wording of the OP, but he wasn't acting 'entitled', just not helpful.

'Entitlement', or as we would to call it in the modern age of shamed consumerism if corporate propaganda weren't so insidious, 'expressing your opinions on quality or business practices as a consumer'-- is the backbone of freaking capitalism. It doesn't work when people don't demand things, things don't improve.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.
Pages: 1 2 [3]