Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Changing battle size in config question  (Read 1519 times)

Kuppykake

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Changing battle size in config question
« on: January 20, 2020, 07:00:43 PM »

I've found the texts in the json files and i changed them to what i read on some other areas of the game. But i can't get the battlesize to be more than 300 points. Idk what to do. any help would be great.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Changing battle size in config question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 09:11:28 PM »

I've found the texts in the json files and i changed them to what i read on some other areas of the game. But i can't get the battlesize to be more than 300 points. Idk what to do. any help would be great.

You're changing settings.json in the game's config folder, right? And making sure to save it after making changes?

Code
	"minBattleSize":200, # in supplies-to-recover. min value for settings slider
"defaultBattleSize":300, # in supplies-to-recover. starting value for settings slider
"maxBattleSize":500, # in supplies-to-recover. max value for settings slider

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 05:35:00 AM »

The battle size slider is in your settings in the settings then in settings again on the tab. It is the third slider down.

You didn't need to go to json files at all.

Kuppykake

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 07:53:59 PM »

The battle size slider is in your settings in the settings then in settings again on the tab. It is the third slider down.

You didn't need to go to json files at all.

Right but im wanting more than the 500 cap. Like i want... giant battles. so i went to the json configs. changed what i thought i was supposed to change but nothing has changed at all. im still capped out at 300 deployment points.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 08:53:42 PM »

... i went to the json configs. changed what i thought i was supposed to change but nothing has changed at all. im still capped out at 300 deployment points.

You're changing specifically settings.json in the game's config folder, right? And making sure to save it after making changes?

Kuppykake

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 05:40:29 PM »

I believe so, but i could be wrong. i'm not entirely adept at changing config files...

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 08:32:21 PM »

I believe so, but i could be wrong. i'm not entirely adept at changing config files...

All you should be doing is the following:
- Open the settings file in a plain text editor (Notepad, etc.)
- Find the value you want to change and change it
- Save and close the settings file
- Start the game

If you followed those steps and you aren't seeing the changes in the in-game slider, then something weird is going on.

Kuppykake

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 06:17:08 AM »

All you should be doing is the following:
- Open the settings file in a plain text editor (Notepad, etc.)
- Find the value you want to change and change it
- Save and close the settings file
- Start the game

If you followed those steps and you aren't seeing the changes in the in-game slider, then something weird is going on.
well thats exactly whats happening, followed those steps to a T and still isn't working.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 11:46:34 AM »

Okay... Hmm. On a whim, can you send a copy of your settings file?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 04:05:52 PM »

Hang on, this is confusing me:
Right but im wanting more than the 500 cap. Like i want... giant battles. so i went to the json configs. changed what i thought i was supposed to change but nothing has changed at all. im still capped out at 300 deployment points.
Capped at 300 points where?
The default max points in settings is 500, so you should already have been able to set it that high without changing anything.
Is the 300 points referring to the max you can deploy in combat? The point value in settings is split between the two sides in battle based on their fleet sizes, with a maximum split ratio of 60:40.

Did you return to settings menu and raise the slider again after changing settings.json?

Kuppykake

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 04:27:37 PM »

Hang on, this is confusing me:
Capped at 300 points where?
The default max points in settings is 500, so you should already have been able to set it that high without changing anything.
Is the 300 points referring to the max you can deploy in combat? The point value in settings is split between the two sides in battle based on their fleet sizes, with a maximum split ratio of 60:40.

yes this is what im talking about. I did do that. but im wanting bigger battles, more than the split can do for normal settings... i usually only have 300 deployment points and im looking for 1000 or so.

Did you return to settings menu and raise the slider again after changing settings.json?