Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Every ship dies everytime 100% die rate  (Read 1721 times)

addzz120

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Every ship dies everytime 100% die rate
« on: January 19, 2020, 06:17:38 AM »

Just started....running simulations on every ship in my fleet.
No matter how tiny the target is the AI absolutely wrecks me. Flux to max in about 60 seconds of combat with any ship in my fleet.

Seems fun  ::)

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Every ship dies everytime 100% die rate
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 06:18:48 AM »

Protip: To defeat the enemy ships, shoot them until they die.

addzz120

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 06:47:56 AM »

Protip: To defeat the enemy ships, shoot them until they die.

Well you see when my pulse laser fires (automatically for some reasons and can't see how to turn it off) it uses 20% flux. So when my outgoing flux is 20% letting me shoot a mere 5 times and the damage to the tiny ship I'm shooting is 15%....you can see how we have a problem. In effect, it only has to absord five hits on me, i flux and he ganks me.
This is one hour into the game.....

7 ships tested over multiple simulations. All destroyed.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 07:08:07 AM »

Hit U to turn on the autopilot and watch how the AI would fight. I'm assuming you've got a Wolf since you mention a pulse laser - take manual control of the pulse laser to stop it auto-firing (or ctrl-number to toggle the autofire off) if that's your biggest problem. It sounds like you maybe didn't do the combat tutorials? You really should do the tutorials. All of them - not just the campaign one.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 08:32:20 AM »

Well you see when my pulse laser fires (automatically for some reasons and can't see how to turn it off) it uses 20% flux. So when my outgoing flux is 20% letting me shoot a mere 5 times and the damage to the tiny ship I'm shooting is 15%....you can see how we have a problem. In effect, it only has to absord five hits on me, i flux and he ganks me.

Look in the top right of the refit screen. Ships can be upgraded with flux capacitors and vents, which will give them more power on the field. Hit those happy (+) markers, they're one of the most important things to put on a ship.

The starting ships are absolutely tiny and weak. Even the quick start Apogee suffers from being more tanky than killy. Keep trying out new and bigger ships until one suits your style. Do missions, there are may missions that don't force combat and can be used to build up a good fleet.

Missiles are VERY important weapons to learn about. They don't cost flux to fire and most of them deal devastating damage when shields are down. Sabots are the opposite, they deal amazing damage when shields are up. Create an opening with your normal weapons and follow up with a missile execution.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 08:37:29 AM by bobucles »

addzz120

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 09:22:15 AM »

Look in the top right of the refit screen. Ships can be upgraded with flux capacitors and vents, which will give them more power on the field. Hit those happy (+) markers, they're one of the most important things to put on a ship.

The starting ships are absolutely tiny and weak. Even the quick start Apogee suffers from being more tanky than killy. Keep trying out new and bigger ships until one suits your style. Do missions, there are may missions that don't force combat and can be used to build up a good fleet.

Missiles are VERY important weapons to learn about. They don't cost flux to fire and most of them deal devastating damage when shields are down. Sabots are the opposite, they deal amazing damage when shields are up. Create an opening with your normal weapons and follow up with a missile execution.

I did use missiles in the simulation, it fired off two volleys before appearing to run out, or atleast wouldn't fire again with absolutely no indication why.
It seems learning in this game is praying to god you have the patience to invest 5 hours through trial and error.
I did do all the tutorials but i can't recall every key, option and hint, there's so many i would need to do it about 10 times.

I do find it odd that if chose to fight my early trash ships against an equally trash foe, i should atleast be able to have a balance fight, but they all absolutely trash me in about 30 seconds.
I fought this thing the size of a zit and it pummelled me. This is easy mode too.....

addzz120

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 09:23:07 AM »

Thanks I'll try that. However is the gun uses more flux than deals damage it seems to be a gun that i don't want to be using.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 09:46:36 AM »

Most of us play in turn-to-cursor mode, which makes piloting 99% of ships way easier. By default IIRC you have to hold shift, but you can invert it in the settings.

Ammunition is listed in tiny text near the bottom of the screen, next to the name of the weapon. Most weapons, except missiles, have infinite ammo.

Play the tutorials on the main menu. Play the missions on the main menu. You get to fly many different ships and you can try again as many times as you want.

Rocksummit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 03:19:50 AM »

It seems learning in this game is praying to god you have the patience to invest 5 hours through trial and error.
I've spent the last two weeks learning and sometimes quite basic things strikes me with epiphanies. If you have the patience I promise it will be well worth it.

You need to find a good balance with flux buildup, use "X" to hold fire if needed so you don't overload. Or vent all that flux using "V".
There has to be something you are missing, keep it at and I know you'll figure it out.

namad

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 12:08:38 PM »

Thanks I'll try that. However is the gun uses more flux than deals damage it seems to be a gun that i don't want to be using.

If you match your identical ship up against an identical ship in the simulator and then let the ai control your ship, it'll win about 50% of the time.

AKA

Either you're matching weaker ships against stronger ships.

OR

Most likely you're just a much worse pilot than the ai is, so if you want to play the game, and enjoy the campaign, but don't feel like training your fingers to "get good" at piloting? Well all you have to do is let the autopilot control your ship in normal campaign play. In fact you can play this game a bit like a tactical with pause strategy game. You never actually need to control even your own flagship, you can leave it on autopilot in battles.

If you can't learn the hotkeys, you won't become a good pilot, which is fine, again, you can play this game like a tactics game with pause and the admiral overlay menu in combat.

Now since other people have guessed you're using a wolf, I will mention, the wolf actually has quite a high skillcap for piloting, because it has missiles that are likely to be deadfire AND it has a maneuvering active skill. You can charge a wolf directly at a larger ship and use it's skimmer (while locked on target) to instantly warp behind an enemy ship and turn to face it and be able to unload a salvo into it's engines before it can position it's shields to cover itself. The wolf is a hit and run ship. A ship that's useful at very quickly winning 2on1's in a large battle, even against larger targets. The downside for a wolf though is that it's made of tissue paper and it's speed is actually only mediocre (when you don't take the skimmer into account).

I've seen streamers and let's players who have 50+ hours in the game pilot a wolf worse than the ai can. That said larger ships? Are simpler for the player to pilot and benefit more from player piloting. The ai is very good at flying it's ship (things like staying at the right range and aiming), but very bad at knowing strategically how to win a battle (hammer+anvil or simply 2v1'ing as many matchups as possible as fast as possible).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:15:18 PM by namad »