Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: [0.95a] Sol System (v0.2.4 - 4/15/2021)  (Read 19576 times)

Alexzzz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Sol System (v0.2.2 - 1/21/2020)
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2020, 06:51:02 PM »

Some of the moons/dwarf planets you include are really small with surface gravity less than 5% earth.  I don't know what the practical limit on colonizing a low gravity body would be, but I'd guess it might be around 10% = 0.1 g.

Moon = 0.165 g (for reference)
Ceres = 0.029
Enceladus = 0.011
Triton = 0.079
Oberon = 0.035

If you are aiming for completeness, you might consider adding Callisto (0.126 g), Eris (0.084) and Pluto (0.063).  But if you are aiming for realism I would cut out everything below around 0.1 g.

ASSIMKO

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2020, 01:39:59 AM »

Some of the moons/dwarf planets you include are really small with surface gravity less than 5% earth.  I don't know what the practical limit on colonizing a low gravity body would be, but I'd guess it might be around 10% = 0.1 g.

Ceres = 0.029
Enceladus = 0.011
Triton = 0.079
Oberon = 0.035

If you are aiming for completeness, you might consider adding Callisto (0.126 g), Eris (0.084) and Pluto (0.063).  But if you are aiming for realism I would cut out everything below around 0.1 g.

Yes, I missed pluto, he is a planet to me, so when I'm over thirty, the guys say he is no longer a planet, I don't agree. I would like to see these exosplanets as well as the moons mentioned by Alexzzz, but I would like to make a request to you: if possible, increase their orbit distance in relation to the planets they orbit, as it is unable to build gas traps, since it was alleged that the orbit was compromised (the same orbits that the moons of jupiter and saturn have), please.

Alexzzz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2020, 01:51:07 AM »

Neat mod!  I did a quick hack to get the textures of Jupiter and its moon Io in the game.

Spoiler
[close]

scmp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2020, 04:17:30 PM »

Ceres = 0.029
Enceladus = 0.011
Triton = 0.079
Oberon = 0.035

I wasn't really going for realism, but I did try to keep things to some sort of messed up scale and I tried to pick the more unique bodies that I'm aware of. I certainly wanted to add more moons/dwarf planets but felt I was going a bit overboard already. I'm not against adding those in the next update though, whenever I get around to it that is.

Yes, I missed pluto, he is a planet to me, so when I'm over thirty, the guys say he is no longer a planet, I don't agree. I would like to see these exosplanets as well as the moons mentioned by Alexzzz, but I would like to make a request to you: if possible, increase their orbit distance in relation to the planets they orbit, as it is unable to build gas traps, since it was alleged that the orbit was compromised (the same orbits that the moons of jupiter and saturn have), please.

Pluto almost made it in the last update, but I wasn't sure whether to put it in or not. And sorry, which planets are you talking about in regards to increasing their orbital distances? The orbits aren't final at all at the moment anyway, I wanted to get the rings looking right and then adjust the moons.

Neat mod!  I did a quick hack to get the textures of Jupiter and its moon Io in the game.

Spoiler
[close]

Awesome! Would you mind sharing the code snippets of how you did it? I haven't quite figured that out yet. I'll add your code to the mod with credit to you. Also where'd you get the textures?

Alexzzz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2020, 08:42:16 PM »

(Deleted an overly complicated method I posted earlier)

It's actually super easy, barely an inconvenience!

Spoiler

Get some textures:
SolSystem-1.2.2\graphics\planets\ssmod_jupiter.jpg
SolSystem-1.2.2\graphics\planets\ssmod_saturn.jpg

List all of the textures in a config file:
SolSystem-1.2.2\data\config\settings.json

The settings.json file should look like this:
Spoiler
{
   "graphics":{
      "planets":{
         "ssmod_jupiter":"graphics/planets/ssmod_jupiter.jpg",
         "ssmod_saturn":"graphics/planets/ssmod_saturn.jpg",
      }
   }
}
[close]

Modify your script file:

PlanetAPI jupiter = system.addPlanet("jupiter", star, "Jupiter", "gas_giant", 30, 500, 8800, 800);
      jupiter.getSpec().setTexture(Global.getSettings().getSpriteName("planets", "ssmod_jupiter"));
      jupiter.applySpecChanges();

Done!

[close]

This worked for me.  I didn't try surveying or colonizing the planet, so something strange might happen later.  I'm really new to Starsector moding.  If there is an easier way to do any of this I hope one of the veterans will correct me.

As for textures, you can find tons on the web.  Just google "moon io texture" or whatever.  Some recommendations

Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto here
http://planetpixelemporium.com/planets.html

This Venus.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Venus_Cloud_Map_(artistic).jpg

This Earth
https://graphics.latimes.com/static/img/earth_texture_map_1000px.jpg

This site has most of the moons.  The smallest sample images are fine for Starsector.  The larger images have watermarks.
http://www.planetaryvisions.com/Top.php?cat=4

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 01:17:28 AM by Alexzzz »

scmp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2020, 11:31:17 AM »

Oh man I was actually pretty close to figuring it out myself apparently. I just wasn't listing the textures in the config...

Thanks for letting me know how!

And somehow googling for textures didn't even occur to me.

Alexzzz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2020, 04:38:07 PM »

I have a few (OK, a lot) suggestions for planet types and conditions.  Please don't take this as a criticism of your mod.  It's just my OCD showing.

Spoiler

Mercury
change type from rocky_metallic to barren-bombarded
remove METEOR_IMPACTS.  Mercury isn't under constant bombardment.
replace TOXIC_ATMOSPHERE with no_atmosphere.  There is almost no atmosphere on Mercury (about 10^-9 earth atm).

Venus
change type from lava to toxic.  The SS description of toxic worlds matches Venus perfectly.
change DENSE_ATMOSPHERE to TOXIC_ATMOSPHERE
remove EXTREME_TECTONIC_ACTIVITY

Terra

Luna
change type from barren to barren-bombarded
add LOW_GRAVITY, no_atmosphere

Mars
change type from desert to barren-desert.  The SS description of barren-desert worlds matches Mars perfectly.
change ORGANICS_COMMON to organics_trace

Ceres
Remove it.  Too small to realistically colonize.

Jupiter

Io
change THIN_ATMOSPHERE to no_atmosphere.  There is almost no atmosphere on Io (about 10^-8 earth atm).
add POOR_LIGHT

Europa
change ORGANICS_ABUNDANT to organics_trace.
change THIN_ATMOSPHERE to no_atmosphere.  There is almost no atmosphere on Europa (about 10^-12 earth atm).

Ganymede
change THIN_ATMOSPHERE to no_atmosphere.  There is almost no atmosphere on Ganymede (about 10^-6 earth atm).

Callisto
Add it!  Its the third largest moon in the solar system.
type barren-bombarded
condition POOR_LIGHT, LOW_GRAVITY, COLD, no_atmosphere

Jupiters Belt
Remove it.  Yes Jupiter has rings, but they are really thin and faint, and its more important to include all four of Jupiter's iconic Gallalian moons.

Saturn

Enceladus

Titan
remove INIMICAL_BIOSPHERE.  There is no life on Titan, inimical or otherwise.  Or is this creative license on your part?

Saturn's Belt

Uranus

Oberon

Uranus Belt

Neptune

Triton

Neptunes Belt
Remove it.  Yes Neptune has rings, but they are really thin and faint.

[close]

scmp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2020, 08:22:59 PM »

I have a few (OK, a lot) suggestions for planet types and conditions.  Please don't take this as a criticism of your mod.  It's just my OCD showing.

Spoiler

Mercury
change type from rocky_metallic to barren-bombarded
remove METEOR_IMPACTS.  Mercury isn't under constant bombardment.
replace TOXIC_ATMOSPHERE with no_atmosphere.  There is almost no atmosphere on Mercury (about 10^-9 earth atm).

Venus
change type from lava to toxic.  The SS description of toxic worlds matches Venus perfectly.
change DENSE_ATMOSPHERE to TOXIC_ATMOSPHERE
remove EXTREME_TECTONIC_ACTIVITY

Terra

Luna
change type from barren to barren-bombarded
add LOW_GRAVITY, no_atmosphere

Mars
change type from desert to barren-desert.  The SS description of barren-desert worlds matches Mars perfectly.
change ORGANICS_COMMON to organics_trace

Ceres

Jupiter

Io
change THIN_ATMOSPHERE to no_atmosphere.  There is almost no atmosphere on Io (about 10^-8 earth atm).
add POOR_LIGHT

Europa
change ORGANICS_ABUNDANT to organics_trace.
change THIN_ATMOSPHERE to no_atmosphere.  There is almost no atmosphere on Europa (about 10^-12 earth atm).

Ganymede
change THIN_ATMOSPHERE to no_atmosphere.  There is almost no atmosphere on Ganymede (about 10^-6 earth atm).

Callisto
Add it!  Its the third largest moon in the solar system.
type barren-bombarded
condition POOR_LIGHT, LOW_GRAVITY, COLD, no_atmosphere

Jupiters Belt
Remove it.  Yes Jupiter has rings, but they are really thin and faint, and its more important to include all four of Jupiter's iconic Gallalian moons.

Saturn

Enceladus

Titan
remove INIMICAL_BIOSPHERE.  There is no life on Titan, inimical or otherwise.  Or is this creative license on your part?

Saturn's Belt

Uranus

Oberon

Uranus Belt

Neptune

Triton

Neptunes Belt
Remove it.  Yes Neptune has rings, but they are really thin and faint.

[close]

No worries, I welcome the suggestions! I initially tried to avoid barren worlds for the most part because I wanted the system to be OP for colonizing purposes, but the more I think about it the more I think I'd like to more accurately portray it so I think I'll take your suggestions.

As for the smaller planets, I mostly added them for fluff because I just wanted more moons. I feel Uranus/Neptune should at least have one moon. Maybe I'll check to see if there are better options. And for titan's inimical_biosphere it is definitely creative license. I like to subscribe to the idea that Titan is one of the mostly likely candidates in our system for life to have evolved on, albeit with a slightly different chemistry than ours.

Edit:
Also, I started working on the next update. Hopefully I'll have it out by the end of the week.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 08:39:51 PM by scmp »

Takezzo

• Ensign
  • Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2020, 07:17:54 AM »

Ceres

Well i know that sci-fi is fiction and all but as a The Expanse reader i grew to see Ceres as the most important station to humanity, and the biggest human concentration after Earth and Mars, so i just can't picture a sol system without Ceres...

"Ceres is the site of Ceres station, a space station that was one of the first sites of human colonization. Half a generation after humanity arrived there, Tycho Manufacturing managed to spin up the asteroid, which gave it a gravity of 0.3 g. The station has tens of thousands of kilometers of tunnels.
As the most important port in the Belt, the station has a population of approximately six million permanent residents with an extra one million transiting through at any given time. Eight hundred to a thousand ships are docked on Ceres every day.

Ceres was governed by Earth, and station security was handled by the private security firm Star Helix Security." -The Expanse Wiki

Spoiler

Here is a 1 minute tour into Ceres station https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RLkaJS1SpM

This 4 minute video of Spacedock sumarizes all the important stuff about Ceres: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32cSZUFNHrs

And here is a 10 minute science analysis where in the coments we can find a interesting discussion and theorys about how to solve radiation, meteorites and other problems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN66v_Qtcc8

[close]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 07:47:45 AM by Takezzo »
Never stray from the Way.

Panpiper

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2020, 09:27:24 AM »

Ceres is actually the place I would advise Elon Musk to be the very first colony location, not Mars. There is nothing you can do on Mars that cannot be more profitably done elsewhere, and that is the death knell for a colony. The best Mars can hope for is a some sort of tourist industry, a location for adventuresome retirees, and to host a bunch of scientists. Everything else will be more expensive.

Ceres on the other hand has water in absolute abundance, along with pretty much everything else one might need. It's ultra low gravity means that chucking payloads to anywhere in the solar system will be extremely easy, so 'low shipping costs'. Ceres would be a windfall for exporting water, rocket fuel and oxygen, and with some local construction to avail themselves of the local resources, they could easily be a farming food exporter. The trick to colonizing Ceres is that you hollow out a torus (ultimately a whole bunch of them) and build a rotating station inside. The extremely low gravity means that all you would need for structural support of the hollowed torus would be an atmosphere retaining membrane and the pressure of the air. Digging the tunnels would not require boring equipment, just heating. Most of the surface of Ceres is essentially frozen mud. Heat the mud and you've got an excavation system.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 08:30:13 PM by Panpiper »

scmp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2020, 10:23:00 AM »

Don't worry, Ceres is staying in the mod. I have an idea for it I'd like to do in a future update.

ASSIMKO

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2020, 04:00:54 PM »

Pluto almost made it in the last update, but I wasn't sure whether to put it in or not. And sorry, which planets are you talking about in regards to increasing their orbital distances? The orbits aren't final at all at the moment anyway, I wanted to get the rings looking right and then adjust the moons.

01- As for Pluto: if you decide to place it, it is in fact an icy planet. As for the scientist, for declassifying Pluto as a planet: For them before it was the sun that orbited the earth, today it is the other way around, I will not even comment on the invisible planet that they swear is there, because of a distortion that they detected ... aff
 Returning to the game, which is not what scientists say, but what programming orders for our delight ...
02 - It is not the planets that are having problems with the orbit, but their moons, at least for my game. Jupiter and Saturn, as in the mod they are gas giants, I would like to mine gas from them, but the mod I'm using said that the orbit that the miner was going to use was already being used. But that's okay, relax, I know other gas giants. kkkkkkkkk
03 -I liked your mod, but I don't think putting the planets as they are will matter, at least for me. I respect everyone's opinions, but in the game, I look for a system to colonize, where it has resources and is profitable, it doesn't have to be all planets with an exaggeration of resources, but that has some value, for example: at the moment it is good to mine on Venus. Just not being able to mine the gas, but then I go to another system. Putting a solar system in the game without something to mine, discover, have some ruins or even hidden enemies, I will not put. I enjoyed exploring your mod, in addition to the fact that the first 3 wanted in the quest for another mod, fell into the sun system. thanks for the mod. And I'm sorry for the big comment.

Alexzzz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2020, 04:41:35 PM »

"Tycho Manufacturing managed to spin up the asteroid, which gave it a gravity of 0.3 g"

What?!  Increasing the rotation of the asteroid would actually reduce the effective gravity due to the centrifugal force.

https://www.scienceabc.com/nature/universe/happen-earth-rotation-speed-increases.html

There are many objects larger than Ceres that you haven't included.  Why Ceres and not them?
Titania, Rhea, Iapetus, Charon, Umbriel, Ariel, Dione, Tethys, Pluto, Eris, Haumea, Makemake, 2007OR10, Quaoar, Sedna.

I didn't realize Ceres appeared in so much sci-fi lore.  If it makes the mod more fun, then leave Ceres in!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:55:03 PM by Alexzzz »

scmp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2020, 05:26:20 PM »

I intended on quite a few of those actually, but felt it was getting crowded. Who knows, maybe they'll still make it in.

Ceres is the largest object in the asteroid belt and as you've noticed, it's quite prominent in sci-fi. I'd like to at some point include it in the lore of the mod at some point.

scmp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Sol System (v0.2.3 - 2/5/2020)
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2020, 07:21:29 AM »

0.2.3 has been released!

Download
Git Repo

Version 0.2.3 - 02/05/2020
- Added Callisto (Barren-Bombarded)
    Conditions:
        Cold
        Poor Light
        Low Gravity
        No Atmosphere
        Abundant Ore
        Abundant Rare Ore
        Abundant Volatiles

- Added Pluto (Barren), and Charon (Barren)
- Every planet and moon have new textures except for Oberon & Triton. (Credit to Alexzzz for showing me how)
- Some planet type changes:
    Venus: Lava -> Toxic
    Mercury: Rocky-Metallic -> Barren-Bombarded
    Luna: Barren -> Barren-Bombarded
- Saturn now has more visually accurate rings (Picture in OP)
- Temporarily removed the belts from Jupiter, Uranus, and Neptune pending replacement with better visuals
- Condition Changes:
    Mercury:
        Removed Meteor Impacts
        Added Thin Atmosphere
        Added Irradiated
    Venus:
        Removed Extreme Tectonic Activity
        Added Tectonic Activity
        Added Irradiated
    Luna:
        Added no_atmosphere
        Added low_gravity