Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Questions about NPC Officers Skills/Composition  (Read 2523 times)

geminitiger

• Commander
    • View Profile
Questions about NPC Officers Skills/Composition
« on: January 18, 2020, 07:06:53 AM »

Can we talk about NPC officers and a little about skills/fleet composition.

If an officer doesn't get combat readiness by level 20 I feel like dismissing them,this feels like the only skill that every officer must have to be decent, am I wrong?

Should officers that captain carriers invest the 9 points required to max the 3 related carrier skills? (Is this a dumb Q?  ;)

How many officers, assuming you have 10, should be specialized into carrier skills? (How many carrier's of some type should a fleet roll with ideally?) I feel like the answer is somewhere between 3 or 4 specialized officers..

I am strongly biased towards steady personality officers, I don't recruit/keep timid or aggressive ones. How badly am I missing out?

Lastly a lot of the tier3 skills don't look overpowered or anything, do people usually max 3rd skills out or go all over with 1-2-3 points in a skill.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about NPC Officers Skills/Composition
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 07:22:55 AM »

1) I don't feel like Combat Readiness 3 is a must. 5% overall better performance is nice, but you can get another 5% for everyone with Fleet Logistics 3. 25% more peak performance time is good for equalising PPT of your combat ships, but isn't necessary, when that particular officer flies the biggest ship around.

2) Carrier skills are all around useful for fighters, so if a captain is in charge of a carrier, he has to have those skills. Incomplete carrier set officers I dismiss, those without I assign to warships.

3) How many carriers do you want? If it works, it works. Carrier spam is perfectly doable.

4) Timid officers are a waste. Cautious ones... I guess they are alright on fragile carriers? I use steady officers for most carriers and fragile ships. Otherwise, warship officers are all aggressive or reckless. They genuinely have the advantage with all their skills, so they should indeed press it.

5) I can't say about others, but in my case, it depends on skills. General preference is to go for levels 3. Combat exceptions areDefensive Systems and Helmsmanship, where I stop at level 2. For leadership, I go full out if I take a skill there, except for a token point spent on Coordinated Manoeuvres. Same with technology and Electronic Warfare, though I sometimes use Navigation as "leftovers go here" dump. Industry tree is where it varies a lot, with Safety Procedures, Recovery Operations and Field Repairs being skills where level 2s are pretty good, but level 3s are good as well. It depends on how much do I want to spend on industry.

geminitiger

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 07:29:11 AM »

Thanks for the reply, for the last question I meant strictly in relation to the NPC officers.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 08:07:26 AM »

If an officer doesn't get combat readiness by level 20 I feel like dismissing them,this feels like the only skill that every officer must have to be decent, am I wrong?

No, you are not wrong. 10% to everything feels too good and a peak operational time boost is a must.

Should officers that captain carriers invest the 9 points required to max the 3 related carrier skills? (Is this a dumb Q?  ;)

Not really.

How many officers, assuming you have 10, should be specialized into carrier skills? (How many carrier's of some type should a fleet roll with ideally?) I feel like the answer is somewhere between 3 or 4 specialized officers..

Since carrier spam exist it can be all of them.

I am strongly biased towards steady personality officers, I don't recruit/keep timid or aggressive ones. How badly am I missing out?

Steady are the bread and butter of the cruiser school. Stand, shoot, launch fighters, slowly advance. Effective but so boring...

Lastly a lot of the tier3 skills don't look overpowered or anything, do people usually max 3rd skills out or go all over with 1-2-3 points in a skill.

Thats a funny joke you made. Tier 3 skills are not overpowered. Nice one.

Skill builds are synergy based.

For example, by stacking those defenitely not overpowered skills with certain mods you can lower initial damage from the Heavy Blaster to 28 and quadrouple the amount of flux needed to punch through the armor.

wei270

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 02:02:19 PM »

i also have a question what officer skill are applied to carried based fighter?
the 3 fighters ones and the 1 fleet one are obvious, so

does the combat readiness of the mother ship boost fighter efficient?

does target analysis affect your fighters such as, improve damage done to shield from your fighters?

everything else from combat probably don't effect your fighter capability right? at least not directly?

also the fleet wild speed buff skill should also apply to fighters as well right?

DDwarrirofire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 10:19:07 AM »

For example, by stacking those defenitely not overpowered skills with certain mods you can lower initial damage from the Heavy Blaster to 28 and quadrouple the amount of flux needed to punch through the armor.

Can I trouble you to go in detail?

My guess off top of my head is evasive maneuvers, defensive systems(armor one I may have name wrong) and heavy armor hull mod
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 10:22:04 AM by DDwarrirofire »

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 11:53:26 AM »

My guess off top of my head is evasive maneuvers, defensive systems(armor one I may have name wrong) and heavy armor hull mod

Evasive Action 3 makes it deal minimum (15%) damage. Impact mitigation 2 and 3 lower it further. Combat Endurance 3 and Fleet Logistics 3 do it even further. And the final blow - Solar Shielding. Heavy Armor is needed only in case you dont have enough armor after EA 3 to get into min damage area and keep it there for noticable amount of time.

DDwarrirofire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 11:58:22 AM »

Evasive Action 3 makes it deal minimum (15%) damage. Impact mitigation 2 and 3 lower it further. Combat Endurance 3 and Fleet Logistics 3 do it even further. And the final blow - Solar Shielding. Heavy Armor is needed only in case you dont have enough armor after EA 3 to get into min damage area and keep it there for noticable amount of time.

Ah! Right it reduces energy by 20%

I'm currently enjoying my first capital ship,  an onslaught.  I managed to solve its flux issues for the most part and with hull mod boosted point defense I've been mugging other capital ships.

namad

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 12:10:18 PM »

combat readiness is EXTREMELY average as skills go, it is not a must have.

It might be a must have for a pilot who is piloting SO or phase though.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 12:13:23 PM »

Ah! Right it reduces energy by 20%

And it does it after damage was reduced to a minimum (that 10-15 percent figure).

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 12:28:07 PM »

100% combat readiness boosts everything by 10%. Attack, defence, speed. Since attack and defence are interconnected your effective flux pool gets a 20% buff.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 02:36:11 PM »

Since attack and defence are interconnected your effective flux pool gets a 20% buff.
Sadly math doesn't work that way. Attack and defense are both slices of the same pie. A 10% bonus to one slice, plus a 10% bonus to the rest of the pie, results in 110% pie.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 03:05:57 PM »

Its the same pie. Called flux. The are no attack slice or defence slice in it. Only "slices" are missiles and fighters. And these are extra. So, techically, you are getting even stronger buff.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 04:15:20 PM »

100% combat readiness boosts everything by 10%. Attack, defence, speed. Since attack and defence are interconnected your effective flux pool gets a 20% buff.

This is very true in spirit - its not exactly 20% because percentage increases from different sources in SS are additive while percentage decreases  from different sources are multiplicative, but its quite close to 20%. Every little stacking bonus just keeps on helping.

As an example, lets consider if the player already has fleet logistics to give every ship +15% CR, has defensive systems 2 for -20% damage taken by shields, has target analysis 2 for +15% danage to shields, and ordinance 3 for +15% weapon damage. They should be dealing a factor of (1 + .15 +.15 +.05) to enemy shields while taking (1*.8*.95), or 1.35 offense and .76 defense, for a ratio of 1.776 over standard.

With another +5%, it becomes 1.4/.72 = 1.944. The extra 5% to offense and defense increased the ratio relatively by ~9.5%, or absolutely by .218. (Yes, a skilled ship is twice as good at the flux war than an unskilled one, not even counting superior player builds from more OP, using good loadouts and hullmods like Hardened Shields, all of the armor skills allowing massively better armor tanking, dealing +50% damage to fighters etc).
Pages: [1] 2