Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Creating Custom Player Flag/Emblem  (Read 1643 times)

Comrade Corwin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Creating Custom Player Flag/Emblem
« on: January 23, 2020, 02:19:38 PM »

I saw the threads discussing adding a custom player flag and so I made one with Paint.net and followed the instructions to add the .PNG to the faction folder and add a couples lines to the player.faction file. It shows up in-game, but its red and black now. Have I done something wrong?

Here's what it should look like:
https://ibb.co/z480StX

Here's a picture of it in game:
https://ibb.co/Gk6Y7jR

geminitiger

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Creating Custom Player Flag/Emblem
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 10:12:15 PM »

Well if you a true comrade you should appreciate the red coloring.  ;D

As to the problem itself, I have no idea but it reminds me of something in photoshop where you can invert the colors (maybe something like a "filter->negative") effect.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 04:33:06 AM »

Saved your flag, put it in game, worked fine. No red or black.

All I did was add it to graphics/factions/custom, create a crest version (256x256) of it and add it there too, then copy one of the flag fields in player.faction and put the corrainia flag and crest address.

I suggest you double check the .png you are telling it to load and make sure it actually isn't black and red.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 06:53:19 AM »

I'm p. sure it won't actually be red.
I had the same issue when I made some Alpha Centauri stuff, and the Universty flag came out red like this.
Never did figure out what was causing it.

Comrade Corwin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 08:55:57 AM »

Well if you a true comrade you should appreciate the red coloring.  ;D

The first thing that came to mind when I saw it in game was, "The irony..." ;D

Saved your flag, put it in game, worked fine. No red or black.

All I did was add it to graphics/factions/custom, create a crest version (256x256) of it and add it there too, then copy one of the flag fields in player.faction and put the corrainia flag and crest address.

I suggest you double check the .png you are telling it to load and make sure it actually isn't black and red.

The file in the link was uploaded from the file in the folder, so unless I've gone crazy, it isn't red like that. :o

Strange, though... I'll download the image off of the link I sent and see if that clears it up. Maybe there is some underlying layer corruption in the image file?

I'm p. sure it won't actually be red.
I had the same issue when I made some Alpha Centauri stuff, and the Universty flag came out red like this.
Never did figure out what was causing it.

I'm not sure where to check, because I'm rather new to the game and I don't remember how often you see your own flag after you pick it. Either way, if I figure it out, I'll be sure let you know on this thread. ;)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 09:16:17 AM »

I'm not sure where to check

When you found a colony and set your flag, the flag in your inventory will switch to it and many places on the colony/market UI will show it.

You can switch around your flag and faction name anytime later by clicking on your faction's name at the top left of the colony/market screen.