Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Dangers of using AI cores?  (Read 15188 times)

2-Zons

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Dangers of using AI cores?
« on: January 16, 2020, 09:13:54 AM »

The wiki mentions 2 risks:  Hegemony inspections and Luddic attention.  Is there ways of avoiding this.  Does the distance of my colony from the core worlds a factor?  Does it cost me attitude with the factions?  I'm really not liking the idea of trying it out only to find out many game hours later that it was a bad idea.  If there's a post on here that already answers most of these questions pointing me there would be fine. 

I've seen a (youtube) reference that talks about not being able to remove them, and some dangerous H.A.L. type takeover.  Can they take over your colony?  If it's part of the story don't spoil it.  I'm just trying to figure out if they are worth it.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Dangers of using AI cores?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 09:34:37 AM »

In the current release, the benefits of core use far, FAR outweigh the cons, and the cons are trivial.

Inspections are the biggest risk because if you miss or ignore the alert for some reason, the inspection fleet will waltz into your system and steal your cores and cost about -20 or so rep.  The easiest way to deal with them (if you do not want to destroy all Hegemony worlds) is to bribe them on your intel as soon as the alert flashes.  As long as you spot all the alerts and set to bribe for each one, you should be okay.  Inspections seem infrequent enough that income over time should exceed the occasional bribe.

Pather cells would be a problem except they are bugged.  Their sabotage events always fail if stability is 2 or more.  At worst, they are a permanent -1 to stability, but alpha core admins have Planetary Operations for free for +2 stability.  In other words, Pather cells can be safely ignored.  If you want to avoid Pather cells (don't bother), Pather interest cannot exceed six.  Installing alpha core as admin adds ten!  To remove cells, removing items and/or industries until interest is six, and they will dissolve soon.  (You will not be able to cleanly remove missing alpha admins yourself, but you will not care about that.)

So far, AI cores that go missing just means they become a sticky cursed item like that sword -1 in D&D-like game, except it is a cursed +5 vorpal sword of awesome.  Nothing more, nothing less.  If you try to remove to forcibly remove it, you get a Rogue AI condition that inflicts permanent -1 stability penalty, so don't do it!  Just let the core stay as an admin like the jealous girlfriend trope.  With no real downside to cores, you WANT the core to stay as your admin slave forever.  If for some reason you want the core cleanly removed after it goes missing, let the Hegemony inspectors come and take your cores (they will find missing cores too).

2-Zons

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 09:43:26 AM »

Most excellent and prompt reply sir/m'am.  Thank you kindly.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 09:48:23 AM »

One more note:  Only alpha cores assigned as a colony administrator can go missing.  Alpha cores assigned to any of the individual structures and industries will behave and stay put.

Fregrant

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2023, 03:23:36 AM »

You can remove rogue AI core through mod (terraforming and station construction).
In current version, pather attention much, much more dangerous - it can easily make all your colonies -4 stable and -40% access, not mentioning shortages due raiding fleets everywhere.
Though, you can bribe them for a few cycles with like 1mil "tithe".
Not sure if it is vanilla, as using Nexerelin mod too...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 03:25:42 AM by Fregrant »

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2023, 09:22:35 AM »

You can remove rogue AI core through mod (terraforming and station construction).
In current version, pather attention much, much more dangerous - it can easily make all your colonies -4 stable and -40% access, not mentioning shortages due raiding fleets everywhere.
Though, you can bribe them for a few cycles with like 1mil "tithe".
Not sure if it is vanilla, as using Nexerelin mod too...

Please do not resurrect posts too old, this post was game version 0.9.1 and the mechanism of colony has changed over time. The above discussions are significantly out of date.
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Fregrant

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2023, 05:43:55 PM »

Please do not resurrect posts too old, this post was game version 0.9.1 and the mechanism of colony has changed over time. The above discussions are significantly out of date.

Can you specify current "Dangers of using AI cores as admin" then? I would like to know, but so far found only AI core going missing on removing...
Or should I create new topics with exact same subject just because "this post was game version 0.9.1"? Sorry, new here...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 05:52:12 PM by Fregrant »

IDA Frigate Captain

• Ensign
  • Universal Scav
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2023, 11:02:08 PM »

Yes create a new thread. It's what the forum rules suggest rather than necro-ing.
My first thought in winning the flux war - which dumb ass engineer put shields and weapons inseparably linked to the same flux system?!