Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: How in bleeping blazes do you actually 'find' the target of a bounty?  (Read 10560 times)

Panpiper

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I'm a newbie to the game. I've been given my first bounty to go hunt down someone. If I select the mission then click "show on map", it gives me a location many light years away I can laboriously head to. I do so. The location that it flags however is in deep space, hyperspace territory, a couple stars nearby. I have been all over that space, scanning everywhere. I have thoroughly explored both the stars nearby, including heading out into interstellar space. I have wasted a year of game time and at least two hours of player time, just fruitlessly wandering about. This is not fun.

What am I missing? Is there some esoteric trick known only to long standing intelligentsia?

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: How in bleeping blazes do you actually 'find' the target of a bounty?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 02:24:28 PM »

The intel for the person bounty points you towards where they are. It will say something like "She is rumored to be hiding out near a rocky unstable world in a system with an orange primary star in the Paititi constellation."

Flashmek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 05:40:18 PM »

First it will give you a time remaining make sure you have enough time to burn there, if you click it in intel it will twll you the type of star and a planet they hide out, if there are multipul pick one poke your head in see planets that are there and go to any that match the hideout type of planet, if not go to next matching star ....

Just make sure you give yourself enough days to do this before it expires.

Hope this helps

Flash

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 06:24:49 PM »

It should be noted that the "Show on Map" button will only bring you to the constellation in question. Otherwise, finding bounties is as stated above and just a matter of reading the descriptions and navigating to the planets they describe in the star system with the matching star.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 11:38:06 PM »

Read the bounty description. There are three important components to it. First is the constellation name, which is the first filter. This is where you look for the proper star. Next in the description is the description of the star system you're looking for. You're given a hint (dwarf star, red star, binary star, etc) and you check out stars that fit, until the star system hint in the bounty descrption changes to precise name of a star system. It happens immediately after entering the correct system, so check it every time you enter any star system. Once you've found it, the easiest part is finding the planet where the bounty hangs out. It's stated in the description, too, so you check out all planets of that kind in that star system. It's useful to bring up map and click on any planet with left mouse button, to bring up the Intel screen of that star system, which shows all the planets there, to make sure you don't miss some small ones.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 11:46:47 PM »

I think in some rare circumstances, the bounty fleet can chase a small remnant or pirate fleet away from the planet and scavenger fleets can also sometimes attack/destroy bounty fleets.

Also, if the bounty fleet is sitting in a magnetic field/ asteroid field, its sensor profile can be heavily reduced, meaning you need to fly much closer than normal to see it.

That could explain being unable to find a bounty, but that stuff is all pretty rare and 95% of bounties will not do that.

kenwth81

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 12:49:58 AM »

If you can't find it, it is ok to let bounty expire. Just find another one.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 05:40:47 AM »

That's not helpful kewnwth81. Panpiper can always just find another one and he's probably long gone and done that. As others have said, they will only be in the system with the star it is described in, the the constellation it is described in. Sometimes there are more than one of the dwarf, yellow giant stars or whatever the star description is so you have to check more than one system as well. Good luck.

kenwth81

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 05:53:37 AM »

That's not helpful kewnwth81. Panpiper can always just find another one and he's probably long gone and done that. As others have said, they will only be in the system with the star it is described in, the the constellation it is described in. Sometimes there are more than one of the dwarf, yellow giant stars or whatever the star description is so you have to check more than one system as well. Good luck.

Can't find it, just drop it. Oh that not helpful? Knowing when to drop a bounty rather than fruitlessly wandering about looking for it is a skill too.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 05:22:05 AM »

You are asking him to restart his game, depending on his last game save for his first bounty. I've never been able to not find the bounty fleet. A better way for him to enoy and learn the game would be for him to see what went wrong and find that bounty.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 05:36:16 AM »

https://i.imgur.com/Vhe8Kbw.png

The devils in the details.

Here you can see on the bounty screen that the bounty stipulates that the target is near a gas giant in a system with an orange primary star.

Of these systems, one of which is a trinary with two orange stars, there are 3 gas giants that I have explored a while ago. Therefore there are three possible locations to check for the target.

Although in all likely hood, one of these systems holds a luddic stronghold, so these TRAITORS are likely sitting with them as that system has two gas giants.

Hope this helps!  8)
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

geminitiger

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 05:12:18 AM »

on a side note if the bounty/exploration says the target is on the "far edges" or "some distance away from the center of" just skip it.
 ;D

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 05:14:53 AM »

on a side note if the bounty/exploration says the target is on the "far edges" or "some distance away from the center of" just skip it.
 ;D

AGREED
Sunders are the best ship in the game.