Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Halo - UNSC Pelican Troop Transport  (Read 4388 times)

caymon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.9.1a] Halo - UNSC Pelican Troop Transport
« on: January 15, 2020, 11:58:57 AM »

Sorry guys, no fancy logo or release template yet (maybe later if i keep this up) but i wanted to work on adding a ship to the game and thought i'd do the Pelican since I like halo, and a smaller ship with ground support was kinda missing from the early game.

Theres the stats
both guns are built in and the only slots for weapons.

more shots

[close]

Extra super thanks to poduke back in 2012 for posting the overhead render that i used for the sprites, he did the visual work, i just sized it down.

aaand lastly the zip

UNSC Pelican V1

Please be gentle on the feedback but please let me know any feedback you have.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 12:00:28 PM by caymon »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Halo - UNSC Pelican Troop Transport
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 12:05:43 PM »

Nice ship mod :D ! I certainly wouldn't want to be flying in one of those during combat, though it packs a huge amount of ground support for its cost/upkeep.

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 03:04:51 AM »

By simply glancing over the stats, it seems extremely underpowered (no survivability, low firepower, high maintenance for its performance, low cargo and fuel capacity, low crew capacity which affects the ground support package) even by early game standards, I know the ship and weapon pack adds some destroyer sized troop transport, while I'd normally not use it in combat it could still fight off a frigate at least, this Pelican on the other hand seems like more of a novelty than a ship you'd ever use even when desperate.
I recommend increasing the OP and adding 1 or 2 small missile slots and if you wish to not give it a shield then maybe increase it's speed and maneuverability to be similar to the Robberfly from the Blackrock mod.
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

caymon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 09:42:47 AM »

low crew capacity which affects the ground support package

When i was reading the wiki on GSP it says each ship with the mod supports 100 marines, not just its max crew, is that not the case?

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 10:06:38 AM »

Ah yes now that I've checked it, I apologise. Anyways I still think it could use buffs since the colosus MKIII can help carry more marines and is somewhat combat capable.
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 12:23:03 PM »

low crew capacity which affects the ground support package

When i was reading the wiki on GSP it says each ship with the mod supports 100 marines, not just its max crew, is that not the case?

Ground Support Package basically gives you a bonus to your marine strength equal to whichever is smaller between the number of marines you have, or the value of GSP itself (100, I believe). In other words, if you have 100 marines or fewer in your fleet, GSP doubles your strength, but above 100 marines, it only adds 100. The max crew supported by the SHIP it's on doesn't matter.

Ship's cute! I reckon you could spin it with an upsized, more Starsector-fitting sprite and give it a regular modular weapons package. I'm not too hot on Halo content, but I'd be inclined to give a Pelican replica the Manoeuvring Jets system instead of flares, to imply the vectoring engines on the ship. But up to you.

I'm too out of practise with ship modding to spot any out-of-whack stats there... The only thing I'd suggest is upping the burn speed. For a frigate size, burn 9 is usually reserved for civilian ships. Also I'd recommend making at least one of the weapon mounts modular - ships with all built-in weapons take some fun out of Starsector, because a big part of the game is the ability to refit your ships' weapons (among other equipment).

0.5 fuel/ly is a good move, I'd do absolutely the same. Does the maximum of 20 passengers come from canonical information on the Pelican? I'd be inclined to give it a toned-down GSP, maybe one that only increases the marine strength by a max of 20 or 30... +100 on a sub-frigate seems pretty powerful, though you do need to use it in conjunction with other troop transports to make it worthwhile I suppose.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 12:29:21 PM by AxleMC131 »

caymon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 01:00:16 PM »

Ship's cute! I reckon you could spin it with an upsized, more Starsector-fitting sprite and give it a regular modular weapons package. I'm not too hot on Halo content, but I'd be inclined to give a Pelican replica the Maneuvering Jets system instead of flares, to imply the vectoring engines on the ship. But up to you.

Does the maximum of 20 passengers come from canonical information on the Pelican? I'd be inclined to give it a toned-down GSP, maybe one that only increases the marine strength by a max of 20 or 30... +100 on a sub-frigate seems pretty powerful, though you do need to use it in conjunction with other troop transports to make it worthwhile I suppose.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll be honest I'm not an artist which is why i chose try my first go round with an existing sprite/concept. as for the stats, yeah the passanger size is cannonical

Capacity:
The main compartment of the Pelican (sometimes called the "Blood Tray")[14] has capacity for 15 people (10 sitting, 5 standing). Other variants have displayed the ability to hold considerably more as demonstrated. For example, the SPARTAN-II's were assigned a specialized Pelican, which was able to hold an entire team of twenty five, as well as fitting cutting gear to board a Covenant warship.
I split the difference

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 01:31:59 PM »

I'll be honest I'm not an artist which is why i chose try my first go round with an existing sprite/concept.

I guessed as much. ;) Spriting isn't the easiest thing to get into. But, if you want to get into modding ships, it's a good skill to learn! (Look into kitbashing, it works for just about anything and is probably the best and easiest way to match stock art.)

Capacity:
The main compartment of the Pelican (sometimes called the "Blood Tray")[14] has capacity for 15 people (10 sitting, 5 standing). Other variants have displayed the ability to hold considerably more as demonstrated. For example, the SPARTAN-II's were assigned a specialized Pelican, which was able to hold an entire team of twenty five, as well as fitting cutting gear to board a Covenant warship.
I split the difference

Makes sense.

SPARTAN 97118

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2023, 07:01:18 AM »

ces dommage que il y a pas de mis a jour ces ce qu'il manque le plus au mods halo déjà présent