Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: QoL suggestions  (Read 1688 times)

mymfj2rul3

• Ensign
    • View Profile
QoL suggestions
« on: January 14, 2020, 08:25:58 AM »

1)Option to designate items as favorites/junk. Favorite/junk items have a distinctive highlight/feature that would be hard to miss if you were on a selling spree. Preferably have the sort button move favorite items to the top rows of the inventory and junk items in the bottom rows or in some other distinctive way.
Favorite items for sale in markets would also have a distinctive highlight/feature.

2)Option to designate items to maintain a minimum stock. The item number/quantity of these items would have different colors to represent sufficient/below stock. Buying with ctrl+left_click (or some other input) would bring the item to a sufficient stock.
Items above stock would form a second stack and have their own distinctive highlight/feature. Sorting items would place the above stock items in available rows at the bottom.
Items that you are low on stock would also have a distinctive highlight/feature in the markets.

3)Option to automatically select/move all above stock stacks and junk items to be sold. You will still be asked to confirm the sale. Maybe put a big sell excess loot button below where the Abort and Confirm (sale) buttons normally show up.

4)Option to automatically buy enough consumables (Supplies, Fuel, Crew, Heavy Machinery) to have a sufficient stock. Optionally in the Current transaction list have items color coded to show that you are paying an above/average/cheap price for them.

5)Option to offload all excess loot in storage, some examples:
Favorite items that have no minimum stock quantity or ones that are above stock quantity.
Items that have no special designation.
Items designated as junk.

6)A game menu that lets you create custom lists of all the above options to save players' time from having to recreate them again for new/current/old playthroughs.

7)Option to designate certain ships to be ignored when you press the "All" button in the deployment screen. In my case my ignored ships would be combat freighters.

8)Sort button for your fleet roster.

9)In the "select captain" window clicking outside of the window should close the window.

10)In the refit window squeeze an additional column of ships. Scrolling should move both columns. If you are willing to use all available space in the refit window you could have 3 columns of ships showing.
Having more columns would make finding the ship you want to refit faster.

11)Allow multiple owned ships to be tested in the "Run Simulation". Thank you SCC.

12)A lot of times when I clicked to investigate an unidentified non-fleet contact, my fleet would move adjacent to it instead of interacting with it. I've had no problem doing the same on the sector map.
It would be nice if the sensitivity? to investigate an unidentified contact was increased.
Receiving written confirmation like the one you get when you try to intercept a fleet (Laying in an intercept course for Unidentified fleet) and sound confirmation? (radio push-to-talk button sound) should help in preventing you from hanging around the contact.

13)When looking for best buy/sell prices for commodities (hover mouse over commodity and press F1) make mouse clicking on any listing become the current destination.

14)Add an option to designate planet/colony/station/etc as a favorite destination. Pressing the registered key for x favorite planet/colony/station/etc makes it your current destination.

15)Intersaves sharing of autofit designs/loadouts.

16)Custom versions of ships (XIV, Luddic Path, Pirate, etc), should have their own Autofit>”Select autofit goal variant” slots instead of sharing them with all other variants.

17) In the F1 window for commodities, double clicking on a location's name sets it as the target for the autopilot to dock/land your fleet on.

18) Being attacked by a fleet that includes an enemy station should not be possible.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 08:49:23 PM by mymfj2rul3 »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: QoL suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 09:18:28 AM »

You can deploy ships from your fleet by bringing up the reinforcement screen in simulator (hotkey G) and then switching to "allies" tab.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 07:12:23 AM »

I like the idea to be able to highlight favourite items available for sale in markets as well as designate items as favourites to keep or unwanted to sell.

mymfj2rul3

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 07:15:54 PM »

Added 13 and 14 to the OP.

isyourmojofly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 04:05:35 AM »

I like most of these but I think #1 would be particularly welcome

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 07:32:31 PM »

I second any idea that mitigates menu navigation tedium.  Good list.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 08:10:07 PM »

I would say something in general that needs to be looked at is the effectiveness of the UI when running with lots of mods (like many of us do).

Things like the weapon picker when refitting just don't work well when you have 100+ weapons for a given mount type.  If you could sort/limit by range that would be a huge help, most of how I choose weapons anyway is based on their range first, then OP second.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 12:38:56 AM »

I would say something in general that needs to be looked at is the effectiveness of the UI when running with lots of mods (like many of us do).

Things like the weapon picker when refitting just don't work well when you have 100+ weapons for a given mount type.  If you could sort/limit by range that would be a huge help, most of how I choose weapons anyway is based on their range first, then OP second.
Tbh we already have different techs labeled in blueprint build menu, I don't see why that wouldn't work with weapons and fighters. Or just a simple search bar.
Please don't take me too seriously.

mymfj2rul3

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 01:00:33 PM »

Added 15 to the OP.

mymfj2rul3

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 02:11:43 PM »

Added 16 to the OP.

mymfj2rul3

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 08:21:31 PM »

Added 17 and 18 to the OP.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 08:49:34 PM by mymfj2rul3 »

Lucax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 06:10:01 AM »

18) Being attacked by a fleet that includes an enemy station should not be possible.
That's working as intended though. Defeating stations would be too easy otherwise. If you can't deal with a station and its defenders, either try to draw them away, or just leave/stay a healthy distance away from the station.

I do have a complaint with this though, that is you can't clearly see whether the station (or another fleet) will be backing up a particular fleet when interacting with them. I wish the game would display "tethers" between fleets in that case, by pausing the game and hovering the cursor over a fleet maybe ? Sort of like how the sensor range of a fleet is displayed when hovering. Which would actually be a quality of life change.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2021, 06:55:15 AM »

If applied fairly to both sides (i.e., player is the attacking fleet guarding his colony), this would prevent the player from intercepting enemy fleets headed to his colony and fight with battlestation support.  Player would have to wait until fleet fights battlestation then join.  Otherwise, player will be screaming "Where's my battlestation?!" and be left high-and-dry.  Would be an annoying quirk to remember.

During the early colony phase, I do exploit my battlestation to crush incoming enemy fleets too big for my fleet to handle.

mymfj2rul3

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 04:37:54 PM »

That's working as intended though. Defeating stations would be too easy otherwise. If you can't deal with a station and its defenders, either try to draw them away, or just leave/stay a healthy distance away from the station.

By "Being attacked" I mean a fleet that's within range of its station attacking you and being supported by the station. AFAIK stations are stationary and they should not be able to support the fleet that attacked you.
For example: I'm trying to sell stuff at a Pirate station. I approach the station and there seems to be no pirate fleets nearby. Just as I'm about to reach the station, a lone Pirate Wolf comes out of an asteroid belt and intercepts me. IMO the best course of action would be to turn around and fly far enough away that I won't be within the station's defenses and then fight the lone Pirate Wolf. Unfortunately the only option is to defend yourself against the attacking/chasing Wolf and Pirate station OR flee and possibly suffer damage from the Wolf and pirate station harrying your retreat.

If applied fairly to both sides (i.e., player is the attacking fleet guarding his colony), this would prevent the player from intercepting enemy fleets headed to his colony and fight with battlestation support.  Player would have to wait until fleet fights battlestation then join.  Otherwise, player will be screaming "Where's my battlestation?!" and be left high-and-dry.  Would be an annoying quirk to remember.
Sounds fair to me. The only time a station should be involved in a fight is if it is the one being directly attacked or a friendly fleet within its area of influence is being attacked.

Lucax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2021, 02:24:45 AM »

I get the point, yes. To reiterate, if a fleet weren't supported by a station they're close to, that would make a colony's defenses too easy to divide and destroy. If your intent would be to defeat the station, you could just fight the defenders separately by having them attack you first without the station, which defeats the purpose of defenders. You have to maneuver a bit to turn the fight to your advantage.

That said in the case of a very small enemy fleet, which wouldn't help much defending anyway, I do agree that being harried shouldn't cause such a huge hit to CR. Being harried should never take a supporting station into account when calculating the CR damage. And I don't think being harried prevents the player from trading currently, so the CR cost from being "harried by Buffalo defending a station" is the only thing to address really.
Pages: [1] 2