Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Paying tariffs in my own market?  (Read 3771 times)

tbkn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Paying tariffs in my own market?
« on: January 14, 2020, 04:05:52 AM »

This is weird, I didn't expect to pay 30% tariff in my own colony's market... Moreover there's not even a black market option there.

Am I missing something?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Paying tariffs in my own market?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 04:12:02 AM »

That's how it works now. Combined with Commercy's high price and "industry" status, it really isn't worth it.

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 05:12:35 AM »

Well if that planet has a heavy industry and military base then it will sell weapons and ships from the blueprints you have. Can be useful if you have money to spare and want more ships than your factories are capable of producing.
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 08:04:03 AM »

I changed commerce to a structure in my game files because it is not useful enough to be an industry. I just use it to dump vendor trash when I come home since I am too lazy to head to the core to sell stuff. I don't think it has any significant use other than that. The +1 stability might matter if you don't take colony skills but alpha cores sort of make all of that pointless. I only build it on my home colony though, its not worth the upkeep on my other colonies.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 11:34:13 AM »

I changed commerce to a structure in my game files because it is not useful enough to be an industry.
This, right here, is supertruth.
Commerce is in no way worth an industry slot. It's useful, but it's not that useful.
It's a trash-to-money converter. And another source of supplies, fuel, and crew. The extra stability is incedental.

Also for those wondering, you pay a tariff when using the commerce market on your planet because it is not your market.
It belongs to the independants. And as such allows you to increase your indy reputation by buying/selling stuff there, if that's a thing you ever need.
And you don't get a black market because that would remove basically all the risk associated with getting to/dealing with one.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 11:56:37 AM »

The extra stability is incedental
Extra stability is extremely valuable, even one point can be worth $10k or more income per month. I think that commerce could be expanded though. It'd be nice to have a cheap market that is a free planet slot, with no bonus otherwise. Simply allowing trade and disposing of junk is good enough for a freebie. An industrial quality version can include a MUCH larger market, bonus stability, and maybe some other kinds of perks. Perhaps tariff income, maybe a much larger pool of missions, maybe even include its own ship market.

For bonus points, your own expanded markets should include a chance of finding your own blueprint stuff, ships, guns, you name it. A chance of finding ultra rare items may also work. That'd be worth an industry slot for sure.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 12:16:27 PM »

Extra stability only matter if you would have less than 10 without it, but you can pretty easily get 10 stability without skills on most worlds, so the extra stability does nothing. If it were more difficult to get 10 stability, then it might matter.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 12:29:49 PM »

If I needed stability, I would've built or upgraded the space station, ground defences or the navy building. Commerce costs too much, in credits and industry slots, for what it does. It's going to be changed in the next update to something... Not as useless.

tbkn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 12:11:33 AM »

I changed commerce to a structure in my game files because it is not useful enough to be an industry. I just use it to dump vendor trash when I come home since I am too lazy to head to the core to sell stuff. I don't think it has any significant use other than that. The +1 stability might matter if you don't take colony skills but alpha cores sort of make all of that pointless. I only build it on my home colony though, its not worth the upkeep on my other colonies.

Can you explain how to do that, please? I'd like to do it too.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 05:40:34 AM »

I only build it on my home colony though, its not worth the upkeep on my other colonies.
My home colony is the last place I want to build commerce because it is another click to wade through when I want to swap ships in storage.  I like that the default is at storage, and building Commerce sets that default to Open Market.  Few times, I tried to quickly store ships only to discover the confirm purchase after I finished swapping ships (because I was at Open Market and not Storage).

Industry slot, tariffs, slower ship swapping?  No thanks.  +1 stability is not enough for the trouble.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 07:33:46 AM »

Can you explain how to do that, please? I'd like to do it too.
the path should be something like
starsector-->contents-->resources-->Java-->data-->campaign-->industries.csv

I would recommend duplicating the file before messing with it. Then just open it in excel or a text editor or something, find commerce, delete the word industry in the tag column and replace it with structure.