Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: What is the nascent gravity well?  (Read 2742 times)

tbkn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
What is the nascent gravity well?
« on: January 14, 2020, 12:07:09 AM »

I only just figured that the traverse jump skill is hidden behind the "next" button (duh!), and am now trying to figure out how to use it.

Using it to jump out of a system is easy but costly. But I still haven't figured out how I can use it to get into the system. I only see in hyperspace the gravity well of the star and sometimes a gas giant. But I can jump to those without using the skill, so what is the other part about?

UNSpacecommand

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: What is the nascent gravity well?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 12:15:43 AM »

I only just figured that the traverse jump skill is hidden behind the "next" button (duh!), and am now trying to figure out how to use it.

Using it to jump out of a system is easy but costly. But I still haven't figured out how I can use it to get into the system. I only see in hyperspace the gravity well of the star and sometimes a gas giant. But I can jump to those without using the skill, so what is the other part about?
to use the nascent gravity well is just move next to it and use the traverse jump to jump out next to the planet that corresponds with that gravwell. Be warned that while it lets u bypass fleet guarding known jump point, it will take a bit of trial and error to figure out how to correspond a nascent grav well to which particular planet in a system as the planets are not fixed in spot.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 12:51:00 AM »

Nascent gravity wells for regular planets show up from hyperspace as little purple clouds, almost like a fledgling jump point, near a system. They're admittedly not easy to spot unless you know what you're looking for. If you mouse over one it should have a tooltip that pops up though.

Here's one. (The thing I've circled.)

Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 12:55:13 AM by AxleMC131 »

tbkn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 03:37:07 AM »

Nascent gravity wells for regular planets show up from hyperspace as little purple clouds, almost like a fledgling jump point, near a system. They're admittedly not easy to spot unless you know what you're looking for. If you mouse over one it should have a tooltip that pops up though.

Here's one. (The thing I've circled.)

Spoiler

[close]

Thanks! Never would have found them :)

henryho96

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 07:38:15 AM »

Thanks for this thread. I just realised I can use this for my smuggling runs with my burn 10 fleet to get in and out of pirate infested systems...

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 08:11:55 AM »

It's actually pretty easy to figure out which gravity well corresponds to the planet you want. The relative orientations of the planets in hyperspace are the same as in the system, so if you open the system map and find your planet is at 3oclock relative to the star, the gravity well will also be at 3oclock in hyperspace. The relative distance from the star is also proportional so the furthest out planet will be the furthest out gravity well. For systems you go to regularly, you can remember which gravity well is the correct one, but you can always check with the system map to guarantee the right gravity well.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 11:54:24 AM »

It took me multiple years and then being told to figure out what nascent gravity wells are... you are not alone :D.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 12:19:54 AM »

I only figured it out when I noticed the transverse jump button light up randomly when passing systems.  A closer look revealed the wells and I went "ohhhhh..."