Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Display if when fleet is in support range of others without interaction  (Read 961 times)

paragonid

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Sometimes I want to engage fleets only if they supported/not supported by other fleets
The only way to figure it out right now is to click for fleet interaction menu
But then I can't safely disengage as enemy fleet can decide to attack or harry me if I just leave

I would be nice to see if fleets (including mine) are support in range beforehand

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Display if when fleet is in support range of others without interaction
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 12:16:03 PM »

You are able to see some information when hovering over a fleet. Maybe there should be a simple line connecting them to any nearby support fleets?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 08:36:51 PM »

This would be nice. +1

Also a possible use of a story point: stop fleets from supporting one another for 1 fight? (A brilliant feint allows you to ambush one fleet alone.)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 10:09:31 PM »

This would be nice. +1

Also a possible use of a story point: stop fleets from supporting one another for 1 fight? (A brilliant feint allows you to ambush one fleet alone.)

Nice! +1

I would like to add that it would be extra flavor if there were multiple descriptions as to how this occurred, too.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 12:13:09 PM »

Hmm, this is really interesting. I feel like I'm still coming to grips with story points a bit, as far as what is and isn't a good idea and why. My concern with this is that it could make challenging encounters too easy - it's sort of... possibly letting the player story-point some of the fun out of the game? Where, say, spending a story point to disengage without a pursuit, while on the surface similar, doesn't do that - rather, it saves the player from reloading and/or an escape sequence that could be a drag.

So, again, not a thing I feel certain of, and will keep this idea in mind, as conceptually it's very cool. Thoughts welcome!

(More on-topic, I'm not actually sure whether this would be good or not. I mean, more info is good, usually, but encouraging the player to super precisely piece apart enemy fleets like this seems like it might be... not great. Plus, the logic for whether to join is a bit complicated, so it's not that straightforward to determine who would actually join before the actual encounter.)

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 12:52:31 PM »

Using story points in a way that prevents huge losses is a nice idea. It definitely gives players an option to avoid the "just reload" mentality and makes an ironman game style very viable.

Breaking apart enemy fleets for the attack is exceptionally powerful, and as an aggressive ability can dramatically shift the challenge of high end content. It could easily trivialize encounters and may be too effective as a mechanic, and would need some kind of serious downside to not become a cheesy norm.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 04:45:10 PM »

Not a fan of allowing preventing fleet joining as suggested even if it cost a Story Point. It would be... Gratuitously overpowered and indeed allow trivializing fights.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 07:56:09 PM »

Maybe something a little more subtle like tilting the DP balance a bit back towards the player. The main problem with fighting multiple fleets is that you start out with big DP disadvantage. Even just tilting that balance back to the player by 10% would probably be worth putting story points into.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 07:16:45 AM »

I like the line connecting idea.

I'm not opposed to a high amount of storypoints needed to prevent support. If say 10 storypoints was needed and 10 storypoints represented 10 hours of gameplay, I feel that it would create an interesting player decision. It'll feel like a culmination of their story. At least till someone mods their game to have near infinite storypoints anyways.

paragonid

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 03:53:21 AM »

@alex, don't have to know who joins or not, just potential support range is fine