Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: camera micro hitching occasionally?really subtle.  (Read 1025 times)

wsdude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
camera micro hitching occasionally?really subtle.
« on: January 13, 2020, 10:16:17 AM »

I notice it mostly happening most when getting close to populated space but also occasionally happens randomly while moving around.Also noticed it happens in fights too.

It can be subtle and on MSI afterburner it looks like a minor frametime spike.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: camera micro hitching occasionally?really subtle.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 10:28:34 AM »

Hi - is this vanilla, or with mods?

How often does it happen? Do you have other software running at the time? I could see e.g. an antivirus factoring in here.

Does it happen with MSI afterburner turned off? That's known to cause various issues with the game (though usually it just prevents it from being able to start at all).

wsdude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 12:40:00 PM »

The only mod I'm using is the skillup mod but I did notice it happening before too.Happens pretty often actually.I dont usually have msi afterburner running so it happens either way.Only steam in the background with a twitch stream which still shouldnt be an issue tbh considering the requirements for this game and my rig 1080ti/9900k/970 evo SSD 16gb ddr 3200mhz ram

Update:tried lowering the video resolution on twitch to its lowest while playing and its a bit better but it still happens occasionally and in BIG fights.

1 more thing I noticed.The gpu clock  rarely stays still.My gpu can normally go for a constant 1924mhz but with this game its usually between 700-1800s going up and down staying on a set frequency for a few seconds before changing.Picking high performance on the nvidia profile doesn't do anything.(which usually helps in having steady frequency)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 12:43:35 PM by wsdude »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 12:45:40 PM »

Hmm - thank you for the added info. It's hard to say without seeing this myself, since, as you say, it seems subtle. I would definitely suggest trying it w/o a twitch stream running in the background, though, that sort of thing could really make a difference.

Edit: also, if you're not running in fullscreen mode, I'd suggest trying that, too.

wsdude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 12:51:33 PM »

Yea already play on fullscreen always.It can be subtle so alot of ppl might not notice it.It's def better with twitch off but playing in silence is not a thing I do.Il keep lowering the twitch stream in the background to like 360p so twitch takes  as little resources as possible.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 12:55:28 PM »

Ok, gotcha - hope that helps.

wsdude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 10:17:15 AM »

Ok, gotcha - hope that helps.

Wanted to show you how it looks on a frametime graph https://youtu.be/sWhVxrf9Pek?t=11 sometimes there's a visible micro camera hitch with the spike and sometimes there isn't (wierdly there was no micro hitch when the spike happened in the video but that's what it looks like when the camera actually micro hitches.I noticed it mostly happens while exploring in open space and in big fights when moving the camera around.Again can be very subtle just so you know.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 10:21:14 AM by wsdude »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 10:33:59 AM »

Hmm, interesting. Do you know what the frametime was during that spike in the graph? I'd guess it was below 16ms which would explain there being no visible effect.

wsdude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 10:41:34 AM »

Hmm, interesting. Do you know what the frametime was during that spike in the graph? I'd guess it was below 16ms which would explain there being no visible effect.
yes.But then there's also somehwhat similar spikes in size with a visible micro hitch.Like I said I mostly notice them when exploring in outer space.

Could it be all the stuff going on in outer space?storms/other ships/constant updating of intel?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 10:43:46 AM »

It could be, yeah - I'll definitely keep an eye on it. Just, some things happen periodically, and it's possible that some of them aren't spread out over multiple frames enough and hit one frame too much.

(If you've still got a twitch stream in the background, it could also be that, but I'm assuming that for this test, you didn't have that on...)

wsdude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 10:55:00 AM »

It could be, yeah - I'll definitely keep an eye on it. Just, some things happen periodically, and it's possible that some of them aren't spread out over multiple frames enough and hit one frame too much.

(If you've still got a twitch stream in the background, it could also be that, but I'm assuming that for this test, you didn't have that on...)

Yep.I tested it with nothing in the background just to make sure nothing was interfering.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 10:58:31 AM »

Ok, cool - thank you for confirming.

Edit: was it in fullscreen mode (or at full native resolution), btw? I've noticed performance in windowed mode in windows 10 has been really inconsistent, for what I'm assuming are OS/driver reasons.

wsdude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 11:30:24 AM »

Ok, cool - thank you for confirming.

Edit: was it in fullscreen mode (or at full native resolution), btw? I've noticed performance in windowed mode in windows 10 has been really inconsistent, for what I'm assuming are OS/driver reasons.

It was native 1920-1080p (my monitors native resolution) and on fullscreen.I always play games on fullscreen.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 11:37:49 AM »

Ok, got it - thank you again :)