Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Hmm food for thoughts on this Odyssey build  (Read 4841 times)

UNSpacecommand

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Hmm food for thoughts on this Odyssey build
« on: January 13, 2020, 07:55:33 AM »

Large slots: 2x plasma cannon +1 hurricane MIRV
Medium missile slots: 3x plum
small slots: all tactical lasers
Fighters: xylphos fighter x1, mining pods x1

Hull mods:
integrated targeting unit
integrated point defense ai
hardened shields

vents: x60
caps : x4(leftovers)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Hmm food for thoughts on this Odyssey build
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 10:40:18 AM »

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Personally I prefer LRPD or Burst PD over Tactical Lasers, even including the IPDAI hullmod. The beam "extend" speed (the speed that it travels to its target) is low enough that the tactical lasers will attempt to target something, lose the lock, stop firing, and then try again, without ever actually doing damage.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 12:04:33 PM »

I wrote what I thought was a nice review of the Odyssey awhile back.

Copypasta version: With double plasma cannon and triple sabot pod, odyssey can shred any cruiser and below while also being mobile enough to chase down destroyers and still being relevant in capital v capital fights. With double lance, Odyssey loses its ability to quickly kill most cruisers but has longer range, less flux usage, and increased anti hull/anti armor burst potential. Double autopulse is the best for AI however, since it uses the least flux. For fighter bays, Xyphos (PD + Ion beam), Spark (insane pd), or Longbows (same PD as Xyphos but with Sabots instead of ion beams). In addition it has the BEST logistical profile of all the capital ships and comes with ECCM and Sensor hull mods for free. For the large missile, either Hurricane, or Locust (Squall is kinda useless when triple sabot pod + 2x Longbow + 2x plasma). It is just such a versatile efficient ship although it remains a player flagship as AI is not very good at exploiting its strengths. I left all the right side small energies empty and put burst pd on front and rear smalls

*end copy paste*

my preferred hullmods for odyssey remain ITU + hardened shields + stabilized shields. Depending on the build, I might or might not add advanced optics. (no front shield emitter for me)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 01:40:32 PM »

IMO, it's best to leave most of the small slots empty. I usually do 3-4 burst PD and leave the rest of the small slots empty.

For the player with flux skills, 2x plasma is best but think 1x plasma 1x auto pulse is the best AI load out. Lances are ok, but without the ability to stack 3-4, I find them less effective. If the ship is piloted by an officer with a bunch of damage boosting skills, then double auto pulse becomes more attractive to me.

I think MIRVs in the large missile are good, but they run out of ammo too quickly for my taste. I generally put a locust to finish ships off at range, which is very useful. Plasma cannons also penetrate armor very well already so I don't think the HE damage is as useful anyway. Sabots in the mediums for sure, plums are a waste of OP, they get shot down by even the most trivial PD. The plasma cannons handle armor penetration and the locust handles finishing/hull dps so all that's really lacking is shield breaking, hence sabots (you can also do a little trick where you plasma burn to stay on top of the sabots so they don't get shot down).

I like sparks for a little extra PD since I leave the smalls empty, but I've used both xyphos and longbow as well. I would definitely use longbows if I didn't have sabots in the medium slots.

ITU is pretty much a requirement on most capital/cruisers. I use hardened and stabilized shields as well as resistant flux conduits and a bunch of capacitors IIRC.

UNSpacecommand

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 04:24:30 PM »

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Personally I prefer LRPD or Burst PD over Tactical Lasers, even including the IPDAI hullmod. The beam "extend" speed (the speed that it travels to its target) is low enough that the tactical lasers will attempt to target something, lose the lock, stop firing, and then try again, without ever actually doing damage.

true but i picked tac lasers cause with the integrated targeting system and IPDAI, tactical lasers still murderized any barrage of missile and fighters from extremely long range and helps alot when actually shooting something (since it does 75 dmg over LRPD 50 + with range boost looking at almost 1600 range from range boost) i tested the build with a one of them can basically neutered the rocket barrage from an onslaught quite handily. and when running 4 of them together, they kinda support each other pretty well using tac lasers to zap missiles and fighters from long range. lost count of the number of Mora and onslaught spam the computer threw at me when running 500 battle points.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 04:34:34 PM by UNSpacecommand »

UNSpacecommand

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 04:31:19 PM »

I wrote what I thought was a nice review of the Odyssey awhile back.

Copypasta version: With double plasma cannon and triple sabot pod, odyssey can shred any cruiser and below while also being mobile enough to chase down destroyers and still being relevant in capital v capital fights. With double lance, Odyssey loses its ability to quickly kill most cruisers but has longer range, less flux usage, and increased anti hull/anti armor burst potential. Double autopulse is the best for AI however, since it uses the least flux. For fighter bays, Xyphos (PD + Ion beam), Spark (insane pd), or Longbows (same PD as Xyphos but with Sabots instead of ion beams). In addition it has the BEST logistical profile of all the capital ships and comes with ECCM and Sensor hull mods for free. For the large missile, either Hurricane, or Locust (Squall is kinda useless when triple sabot pod + 2x Longbow + 2x plasma). It is just such a versatile efficient ship although it remains a player flagship as AI is not very good at exploiting its strengths. I left all the right side small energies empty and put burst pd on front and rear smalls

*end copy paste*

my preferred hullmods for odyssey remain ITU + hardened shields + stabilized shields. Depending on the build, I might or might not add advanced optics. (no front shield emitter for me)
I beg to differ in regards to the AI using the build. sure there are moments when they make just plain silly decisions (I.E. charging 2 Onslaughts head on and getting pincered *facepalm*) but when i ran a squadron of 4 of these odysseys for my AIs officers to us they basically soloed everything that came at them without any reinforcement

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 06:53:11 PM »

I beg to differ in regards to the AI using the build. sure there are moments when they make just plain silly decisions (I.E. charging 2 Onslaughts head on and getting pincered *facepalm*) but when i ran a squadron of 4 of these odysseys for my AIs officers to us they basically soloed everything that came at them without any reinforcement

AI doesn't know what to do in an Odyssey when in a large fleet confrontation. It treats it like a Paragon in terms of usage as a line capital when it should be ripping a flank apart.

UNSpacecommand

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 07:44:50 PM »

AI doesn't know what to do in an Odyssey when in a large fleet confrontation. It treats it like a Paragon in terms of usage as a line capital when it should be ripping a flank apart.

Odd. when i gave them to AI they seems to flank quite a bit. though the AI does sometimes get in the way of each other's firing arc

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 08:01:12 AM »

I find Integrated Point Defense AI with tactical lasers work ok with missiles that head straight towards the gun, but they don't have the turn rate when firing against missiles that is off at an angle or swerve like salamanders. They turn slowly when firing so even missiles like squalls can be difficult to maintain the beam on. I suppose having so many tac lasers help to increase the chance that a missile is heading towards a tac laser. I suspect that it is the Xyphos and Mining Pod doing the real work against missiles. Personally I prefer LR PD or Burst Laser and leaving some slots empty like the other posts recommends. It's not like the Odyssey needs help against smaller craft. IR Pulse Laser and ion cannon works suprisingly well against missiles as well. I would recommend that the two rear small turrets should have a real PD weapon against salamanders.

Personally I prefer filling out both fighter bay slots fully at the expense of the ship's capabilities, but that's just me. 2 Xyphos, why not? Sure, you don't need so many ion beams, but it does have Burst PD as well.

I find Odysseys works out relatively poorly for an AI controlled ship. It doesn't use it to its full potential as a human would and fights at a funny angle and has a tendency to overextend. It's able to retreat fairly fast so theoretically can destroy everything that isn't a capital then concentrate on the capitals. I don't know how yours gained the ability to flank. I find that compared to other capitals in an AI fight it does poorly. I can only imagine that it is the officers or simply outnumbering the enemy that makes your Odyssey work well. Keep posting builds though; it's always interesting to see how people build their ships.