Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Playing battles as a strategist top down  (Read 1706 times)

Flashmek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Playing battles as a strategist top down
« on: January 12, 2020, 09:05:36 AM »

Hi all,

Fairly new to the game but been getting a fair amount of hours in once the kiddoes go to bed, most youtube vids i have watched of star sector involve the person flying a ship.

I have found myself jumping in a carrier and autopiloting whilst directing and watching the fight as a whole and not really wanting to fly a single ship does anyone else do this?

Also command points, is there a way to alter it so i dont have them or alot of them so i can command top down more effectivly?

Cheers

Flash

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Playing battles as a strategist top down
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 09:10:48 AM »

If you don't want to change the files, there are "Command & Control" skill and "Operating Centre" hullmod that increase how many command points you have or how fast do they regenerate.
If you feel comfortable with changing the files, though, there's the "startingCommandPoints" line in Starsector\starsector-core\data\config\settings.json. Default value is 5, but you can increase it however much you want.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 09:49:04 AM »

I don't think I've ever piloted a ship in a single serious battle, and even the unimportant ones I mostly just drifted about never quite figuring out how to play.

Playing as an admiral is mostly about learning how the AI plays and building a fleet to work around that as it is often like herding cats. But get that down and you can bully the enemy AI fleets all day long by playing to their weaknesses.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Killjoymcpuppykicker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 12:02:58 PM »

I generally only assume direct control in order to perform specific actions. Like dumping reapers on a fleet carrier sooner than I think the AI would get around to it.

Other than that I have a command carrier that's usually on autopilot.

Flashmek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 01:14:50 PM »

I really need to look at this file, few things i will probably want to alter to my own game style, will this effect current saves and the such or will i have to reroll?

I assume looking at other older posts i can alter battle points and restriction on fleet size? I assume this will make the game run alot slower if i up it by alot?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 01:30:14 PM »

You can change battlesize caps in settings.json, but then you still have to change it directly in the game. You can change it on the fly, even, so if you overestimate your capabilities, you won't have to restart the game. Ship cap, if you edit only yours, won't break anything and you are limited by logistics anyway, so it isn't overpowered. Those changes will apply immediately.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 02:28:55 PM »

Even though I don't actually go over 30 ships in my fleet, I edit the cap in order to avoid the salvage bug.

Rasip

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 10:15:36 AM »

Even though I don't actually go over 30 ships in my fleet, I edit the cap in order to avoid the salvage bug.

What salvage bug? Not being offered the chance to salvage your own ships because you had 30 at the start of the fight?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 10:20:12 AM »

If a ship, were it to be recovered, would put you above your ship cap, will not do so. This means that you are limited to, at best, 29 ships for salvage (most likely far fewer) without having a choice which ones aren't even given an option. Additionally, if you see a hulk floating about and you are at your ship cap, that hulk will be rendered permanently irrecoverable, even if it was before you interacted with it.

Rasip

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 10:40:30 AM »

Thank you for that heads up. I'll be trimming my fleets after this.