Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Add a auto save feature please  (Read 2193 times)

Jaime Wolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Add a auto save feature please
« on: January 08, 2020, 11:05:13 PM »

Im getting very annoyed with not having the ability to auto save at all ive had to go back a lot of hours due to this not being in game which is extremely annoying. its getting to the point to where i dont want to play it anymore.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Add a auto save feature please
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 08:51:27 AM »

Hi, welcome to the forum! If you hit F5, you can quickly save your game.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 09:47:55 AM »

Checkout the mod:  https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9748.0  It's the next best thing

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 10:01:09 AM »

If he remembered about saving, he could have done it either way, no?
I think this is the first update, where we can consider adding autosave without it taking obnoxiously long. No idea if it will change in the next update, though.
Until then, check out this autosave mod: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9748.0 Read the description, you need to change a value in one file for it to actually save, not just remind you to save.

Jaime Wolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 10:42:38 PM »

I know about the mod. I just think its kind of dumb that there is no option to auto save built into the game. its extremely sickening to have to go fact multiple hours due to hthat not being in the game. I mean come on mount ad blade has it. and the 5 second wait to save is not that bad its better then none. all im saying is its very disappointing not being able to revert to it.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 01:27:17 AM »

I just think its kind of dumb that there is no option to auto save built into the game.

If I recall correctly, one of the primary reasons against an autosave functionality is the same reason having the ability to quicksave and load is useful - situations where you want to go back and try again against a particularly tough challenge. Imagine if you saved before a trek into the outworlds, got stuck and wanted to quickload back to before you left, only to find the game had autosaved since then and you were still stuck.

Not to say there aren't ways that you can have both - Kerbal Space Program, as I understand it, has an autosave functionality independent of the saves created by a quicksave - just that the difficulty of incorporating such a function at this time may outweigh the benefits. (There will be multiple reasons.)

In the meantime, afraid it's just a matter of "learn to quicksave". The Autosave mod is a helping hand in that regard. Personally, I've never had a problem with the lack of autosave in Starsector.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 01:29:50 AM »

I will always support having a core function like auto-saving in the game. And no manual saving or mod band-aids don't count.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 02:12:03 AM »

Ideal solution would be providing separate slots for manual and automatic saves. Maybe for quick saves, too.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 04:52:41 AM »

I do not want auto-save unless it is opt-in, especially in games that pause to save like this one.  I generally do not like games saving unless I tell them to.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 06:04:58 AM »

I would like to be able to name my saves. Sometimes I save before an interesting battle, or reason, but I forget which save or why.

Rocksummit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 06:10:48 AM »

I do not want auto-save unless it is opt-in, especially in games that pause to save like this one.  I generally do not like games saving unless I tell them to.
This is easily fixed with a checkbox

I would like to be able to name my saves. Sometimes I save before an interesting battle, or reason, but I forget which save or why.
This would be great. Sometimes I'm up doing shenanigans far out in the sector and want to save just in case I get jumped but still want the option to go back to my original save.