Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Catching fleets  (Read 1301 times)

Pancakeofdooms

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Catching fleets
« on: January 12, 2020, 06:04:17 AM »

I'm finding it hard to actually to catch fleets they ether burn faster or if I get close they the junk. Is there a trick too this

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Catching fleets
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 06:10:25 AM »

1. Be fast
2. Don't be slow

But seriously, don't get any slow ships before you can kill fleets with that same burn speed. Avoid anything with degraded engines or lower burn speed that the rest of its class. Also navigation 3 skill is very very useful in the whole campaign.
Please don't take me too seriously.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 07:12:01 AM »

You can always sneak close with Going Dark, set off an Interdiction Pulse when you get in range, then Emergency Burn to them, when they can't do it themselves.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 08:07:09 AM »

There are a few tricks, yeah. You might have more tools at your disposal than you realize.

Tips:
  • Pirate fleets have a cooldown for emergency burn the same way you do
  • If you drop enough cargo pirates will often investigate
  • You can drastically decrease the range at which fleets can detect you by going dark and using terrain
  • Hold the S key to stop or move slowly enough to gain the benefits of terrain that requires slow movement
  • The speed of your fleet is primarily determined by the ship with the lowest burn level
  • The interdiction pulse ability can be used to interrupt emergency burn and sustained burn
  • It's easier to catch fleets that are headed your way. You can often arrange for that to happen

Flashmek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 08:32:05 AM »

You can also burn towards them, they will emergency burn, cut your burst as soon as they turn sharp point and reengage after them, as long as your not too much slower you will catch them, if not you can wait till their emergency burn is out then emergency burn yourself, its mot great and will waste resources but you will catch them or so i have found...... haha