Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strange signficant FPS dips with certain fade transitions  (Read 1143 times)

glincoln

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Strange signficant FPS dips with certain fade transitions
« on: January 12, 2020, 05:55:32 AM »

Hi! Thanks for the amazing game!

I'm experiencing significant FPS dips when the game fades between certain menu screens. It is most noticeable when loading the intel screen. (planets tab) Once the fade in is finished, I'm back to 60fps. Also, when switching between tabs on the intel screen, where there isn't a fade transition, all is well. Also, it isn't the fade transition itself, as switching between the other menu screens (map, refit, etc) isn't a problem.

I think it happens anytime there is a fade (both in and out) to or from a screen that has little rotating planets. (map->show station info does it too) This is made more annoying because the FPS dips to single digits, causing the menu to take quite some time to appear.

I'm running a system that is majorly overkill for this game, not using any mods, and performance is perfect in every other case I've come across, though I'm still new to the game. :)

Specs:
Manjaro Linux, with Mesa 19.3.2 and kernel 5.4.8.
Ryzen 3900X
32 GB RAM
Radeon RX 480, using the mesa/opensource drivers.

It feels like a driver problem, which isn't too surprising with a Radeon. :( I guess I'm wondering if there is a config setting I can tweak or any suggestions of things to try?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Strange signficant FPS dips with certain fade transitions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 08:47:25 AM »

Hi - sorry about the trouble! I think that your surmise about it being a driver problem is probably correct. One thing to try, however:

in data/config/settings.json:

"enableUIStaticNoise" -> try setting that to false

I'd love to know if this makes a difference.

Also, in the same file, there's:
"uiFadeSpeedMult":1,

If you set it to say 100 or so, that should make most/all UI fade transitions take a single frame, which should hopefully make the dip more tolerable.

glincoln

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 09:04:17 AM »

enableUIStaticNoise doesn't seem to improve things. However setting uiFadeSpeedMult to 100 has totally fixed the problem. :)

Thanks so much for your reply!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 09:27:32 AM »

Thank you for the info about enableUIStaticNoise! Glad the workaround did the trick :)

Zoro89

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 03:59:36 AM »

I had the same problem. I play the game with "Parsec" or "Moonlight" (something like Google Stadia in local mode).
Between different menu screens the game begin to lag - higher network/decoder/encoder latency.

Change the above setting to false fix it. Thx :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 04:02:04 AM by Zoro89 »

Natti

• Ensign
  • Disgruntled Orc Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 05:14:40 AM »

Since this thread got brought up again, I thought I'd point out that the fade transitions problem seems to be caused by AMD's OpenGL drivers. At least on my Arch Linux setup, the solution in the 2nd post in this thread worked for me: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=19328.msg307274#msg307274

catraxx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 11:41:30 PM »

Hi - sorry about the trouble! I think that your surmise about it being a driver problem is probably correct. One thing to try, however:

in data/config/settings.json:

I'd love to know if this makes a difference.

Also, in the same file, there's:
"uiFadeSpeedMult":1,

If you set it to say 100 or so, that should make most/all UI fade transitions take a single frame, which should hopefully make the dip more tolerable.

Since this seems to be a very common issue, might i suggest you add this to the launcher? Turning the transitions off has completely fixed all issues for me.